Thread: FAVORITE COUNTRY / WESTERN ARTIST: 1980 thru Present Day

Default FAVORITE COUNTRY / WESTERN ARTIST: 1980 thru Present Day

For this era, post your 5 favorite Country / Western Bands or artist who charted their first album or single
    after the year 1979 through the Present day. For those who aren't familiar with the guidelines for these
    discussion threads:

List your 5 favorite acts / artists / bands within the years above and your single favorite song from each
    of those artists. "WITHIN THIS ERA" means an artist that released their first single or album at any point
    within these years.
    It doesn't mean the years they were Most Recognized.
    ONLY LIST FIVE, and your ONE FAVORITE SONG FROM EACH ARTIST . Please do not list 2,3,4... Lists and say these are
    your next five, or honorable mention lists. Any of those kinds of lists / songs will be deleted from the discussion.

Default Re: FAVORITE COUNTRY / WESTERN ARTIST: 1980 thru Present Day

This will probably be my most difficult list to pick of any of these that we've done ( Rock or Country ). I just fell completely
    out of touch with Country Music back in the early 80s. It became a bunch of musicians hand made for the industry rather
    than bands or artists that lived the lifestyle and wrote the attitude or even personal experiences into their songs.
    Fake Country Accents, Studio Tech produced garbage music performed by people who were no more "Country" than
    Madonna, or Justin Bieber. .... I'll have to work on this one for a while

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

Darius Rucker

Ray Charles

Vince Gill

Garth Brooks

Randy Travis
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

Dwight Yoakum - Guitars and Cadillacs

George Straight - Amarillo By Morning

Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places

Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey

Alan Jackson - Chattahoochee
    Last edited by SanAntonioCock; 06-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

Outside of one artist on this list, I'm doing mine for this thread based on Songs instead of Band or artist since I pretty much
    don't have favorite artists from this genre in this era. Even the one artist that I listened to a lot ( due to my wife playing her
    music over and over when her and I were dating ) was "iffy" in this era.

1. ROSANNE CASH
    This was pretty much the only C/W artist that I would put on this list as a multiple recording favorite. The daughter of
    Johnny Cash, and a lady whose music grew on me very quickly. My wife was a huge fan of hers when we first met and
    started dating. There were several of her songs from her 2 or 3 albums she had out at that time that I really enjoyed.
    She was more of a Folk / Blues artists among the typical Country / Western acts, and she has since gone on to record
    music in several different areas of music including Gospel and Folk Music. .... When I checked to see when she first charted
    I almost left her off the list due to date of her first record..But I'm adding her here due to a technical loophole. Apparently
    she recorded an album in late 1978, but her record company did not release it in the U.S. It was eventually released in
    Germany in mid 1979 with little attention. Somehow that music however was heard by someone who had connections
    with Columbia Records who convinced her to head back into the Studio to record another LP which was released in the U.S.
    and Exploded. SO ....since she didn't "Chart" an album or song until early 1980, I'm not only selecting Rosanne Cash as
    one of the artists on my list, she is also the Top of this list for me.

My favorite Rosanne Cash Song: The Way We Make A Broken Heart

2. JOSH TURNER
    From this name down, I don't know much about any of the artists on this list other than they did a song that I liked. Liked this
    song when It was first released, but didn't care too much for any of the other songs he did from the album where I heard
    it.
    Long Black Train

3. GARTH BROOKS
    Good artist and he had a string of very successful hits. The problem was that I didn't really care for a whole lot
    of 'em. You could hear his stuff pretty much anywhere you went for a short string of years, but you could do the
    same thing for a short time with a lot of Country / Western artists in the 80s and beyond. Let's face it, how many
    people wanted to listen to Achy Breaky heart after they'd heard it 8-10 times ? Still, Brooks has proven to be a
    long running artists with several songs that are still considered to be C/W classics. Dude was OK, but as a major
    act goes, just not my kind of music.

one song of his I thought was damn good: Thunder Rolls (just wish he could have left out the Fake Twang)

4. THE KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS
    Another band I was introduced to via my wife ( Fiance at the time ). She was more into Country music and I had already
    lost my taste in the newer stuff. We did share a love for the classic Country Artists since we were both raised on it from
    our earliest recollections. Didn't really like the resume of these guys, but this song was Damn Good Honky Tonk.

Dumas Walker

5. BROOKS AND DUNN
    It made my foot tap when I heard it at the Waffle House

Jason Isbell - If We Were Vampires AND Elephant
    Chris Knight - Down the River
    Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey...even though Parachute, Fire Away and most of that Traveler album is as good as it gets
    Sturgill Simpson - Call To Arms, You Can Have The Crown
    Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind

Steve Earle-Taneytown
    Slaid Cleaves-Junkyard
    Robbie Fulks-You don’t want what I have
    Lyle Lovett-North Dakota
    The Meat Purveyors-TMP Smackdown

I could easily list 20 more great songs for each artist

Garth Brooks - With Garth and George Strait there are literally 40 songs I could put, I'll go with Longneck Bottle
    George Strait - Carrying Your Love With Me
    Brooks and Dunn - Neon Moon
    Josh Turner - Your Man
    Old Tim McGraw - I Like It I Love It

Buster Scruggs

Ok, I'll disqualify my selection before I even start, since his first solo album was released in 1961.

I've never been a big country/western fan, but something about this final studio release album in 2010 really connected with me -- maybe it was the release of the album as a farewell, having just been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Regardless, in my opinion, it's a great album. I am of course talking about Glen Campbell and Ghost on the Canvas.

Bison

1. Alabama - A bunch of good ole boys from Alabama (except the drummer) and paid their dues until the big moment came for them. Randy Owens, the lead singer, could really bring some "down-home-feelings" to the songs that Alabama played. - "Old Flame"
    2. Clint Black - A Texas artist that came out the same time that Garth Brooks and a lot other "hat wearing dudes did", except Ole Clint writes about 98% of his music and is one helluva a guitar player, harmonic player and can also play the drums. Does not get the credit he deserves, but maybe one day he will. "I'm Gonna Spend My Time"
    3. Josh Turner - I love his voice and he also writes some of his music. I had to put him in here because we are kinfolk, even if he is a Tater Fan. "Would You Go With Me"
    4. Allison Krause & Union Station - If you ever get the chance to only see one more group in your lifetime, then go and hear this lady sing and play her violin. She is outstanding in both areas. Her band is worth the money of the ticket also as they are "top notch professionals in their own right". They put on a great show. "I Will"
    5. Allan Jackson - Another great talent that came out about the time all of the "cowboy hat singers" hit the scene in the early 80's. Great voice and he writes a lot of his own music. Most likely he a Jawja Bulldawg Fan??? Still like his music. "It's Five O'clock Somewhere"
    Last edited by dreammachine; 07-11-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: More Info