Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Screaming out 'Black Magic' like 84..."

Default Re: "Screaming out 'Black Magic' like 84..."

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    Come on people - this is a thread about the black magic season. Why contaminate it with a bunch of unrelated stuff from other seasons.
    The OP has a comment about painful losses, so people are relating other painful losses to that.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    "And if you don't know, now you know..."

Seems like just yesterday, but's this this fall will be 35 years. For those of us that remember, it was truly a magical season.

I will never forget the pain of the loss to Navy. I was teased mercilessly at school after that loss. The question "What if?" will never leave us.

During that time period, I was fortunate enough to meet Allen Mitchell. He was a family friend and I played caught a few balls with him in my back yard in NC. Well, he was in my back yard, and I had to back up to my neighbors back yard. lol. RIP Allen.

Let's hope that 35 years later, we can find a little of that magic THIS season...
    Nearly 8 years ago, I sat in the Annapolis Ice Cream shop. I ended up talking to a guy about that Navy game in 1984. He gave me a hard time about it but even he was baffled how Navy won that game. Yes, it's still a painful memory of what could have been especially since we were sitting at #2 in the country. Will still be an all time great season and memory for Gamecock fans.

Army and Navy are both triple-option teams.

They are always at a stalemate most of the Army-Navy game and I always think whoever goes more conventional first will win the game.

I had forgotten about McCollum being on the Navy team back then, but I remember his gruesome broken leg injury with the Raiders on MNF.

I have always heard we lost because we neglected to bring cold-weather gear for the game because the frigid Chesapeake Bay winds made it so cold that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Army and Navy are both triple-option teams.

They are always at a stalemate most of the Army-Navy game and I always think whoever goes more conventional first will win the game.

I had forgotten about McCollum being on the Navy team back then, but I remember his gruesome broken leg injury with the Raiders on MNF.

I have always heard we lost because we neglected to bring cold-weather gear for the game because the frigid Chesapeake Bay winds made it so cold that day.
    Lol we should never play triple option teams. Navy and the Citadel happened, and Wofford always gives us a hard time
    University of South Carolina '19

The thing I remember most about that season is it truly just came out of nowhere.

Darius and the boys need to write a song about it.

Former Walk On in-law catdaddy66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    "And if you don't know, now you know..."

Seems like just yesterday, but's this this fall will be 35 years. For those of us that remember, it was truly a magical season.

I will never forget the pain of the loss to Navy. I was teased mercilessly at school after that loss. The question "What if?" will never leave us.

During that time period, I was fortunate enough to meet Allen Mitchell. He was a family friend and I played caught a few balls with him in my back yard in NC. Well, he was in my back yard, and I had to back up to my neighbors back yard. lol. RIP Allen.

Let's hope that 35 years later, we can find a little of that magic THIS season...
    This was the season that made me a Gamecock fan! My brother walked on that year and I experienced gameday for the first time vs East Carolina. When I took my seat I saw Kent Hagood streak down the sideline for a 70 yard td.Years later Tom Price published his book about the 84 Gamecock team and in the chapter about that game was a photo of Kent during the run... I looked in the stands (it was from the opposite angle from my view) and saw me with a fist raised!

I'm famous, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I was in my second year of law school that year. It was a good time to be a USC student.
    A 3L, it was one of the best years of my life. Didn't miss a home game. The only positive was that I'd spent 9 years in the Navy prior to law school and if you're going to get beat, who better than the team representing the service you loved. Still, it hurt. If it wasn't swayin we weren't playin! Go fire ants, go magic!
    We are Carolina!

1987 and 1988 were both 8-4 seasons. Any thoughts in how the next few years would have been if JM hadn't passed away?
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

I was conceived during the 1984 football season to 2 Gamecock Alumni so thanks Coach Joe and the 84 Cocks I feel like I owe you an debt of gratitude!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Haha June of 85 here you can do the math as to why im here.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Quote Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
    1987 and 1988 were both 8-4 seasons. Any thoughts in how the next few years would have been if JM hadn't passed away?
    SC lost several key players to Graduation after that 1988 season, so I'm not sure the Gamecocks could have won 8+ again in
    1989 or not. All that now is speculation but one things pretty sure to have happened had Joe not died. South Carolina would
    have more than likely faced the next few years under a cloud of Legal issues, Law Suits and more than likely NCAA investigations
    in regards to Steroid Scandal that broke about the program under Morrison's tenure brought on by Allegations made by Tommy
    Chaikin to a Sports Illustrated reporter. It was well known that the pending investigation was diminished and eventually dropped
    mainly due to Morrison's death. Had he not died and Sparky Woods hiring of pretty much an entire new staff of coaches, USC
    may have been headed for some MAJOR suits, and NCAA violations soon down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    SC lost several key players to Graduation after that 1988 season, so I'm not sure the Gamecocks could have won 8+ again in
    1989 or not. All that now is speculation but one things pretty sure to have happened had Joe not died. South Carolina would
    have more than likely faced the next few years under a cloud of Legal issues, Law Suits and more than likely NCAA investigations
    in regards to Steroid Scandal that broke about the program under Morrison's tenure brought on by Allegations made by Tommy
    Chaikin to a Sports Illustrated reporter. It was well known that the pending investigation was diminished and eventually dropped
    mainly due to Morrison's death. Had he not died and Sparky Woods hiring of pretty much an entire new staff of coaches, USC
    may have been headed for some MAJOR suits, and NCAA violations soon down the road.
    Thanks, I remember some of that now. Not defending steroid use, but we all know SC was not the only team using. It is interesting that soon afterwards, the iron curtain fell and we all know the Russians were (maybe still are) the ultimate sports cheaters. New drugs and how to hide them migrated to the US by the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
    Thanks, I remember some of that now. Not defending steroid use, but we all know SC was not the only team using. It is interesting that soon afterwards, the iron curtain fell and we all know the Russians were (maybe still are) the ultimate sports cheaters. New drugs and how to hide them migrated to the US by the early 90s.
    Totally agree with that statement. I think a large majority of the D1 schools in the country at that time were doing Steroids and other PEDs. I always liked
    Tommy Chaikin when he played and he was one of those 110% effort guys you want on your team, but I also think Tommy went over the top in his laying
    it all on the team and staff, and blamed them for his mistakes and poor choices. He tried to paint a picture of a program and coaching staff that forced the
    stuff on the players and it was "go along, or ride the bench your whole time here". There were other players who started or got major PT during those years
    that came out and said that they knew players who did it, and coaches who helped them get it, but they were not offered the Roids, and would have
    turned them down and refused to take them if they had been offered. I think the same could have been said by many players on the majority of teams at that
    time. We just had a former player who decided to make it public and brought the heat down on the program.

Even though I have been a Clemson fan since 2005, I still have a lot of respect for the 1984 Gamecocks. Both SC and Clemson had some big games with UGA back in that era. Since I am also a UF fan, one thing we can all agree on; hating UGA.