Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Screaming out 'Black Magic' like 84..."

Default "Screaming out 'Black Magic' like 84..."

"And if you don't know, now you know..."

Seems like just yesterday, but's this this fall will be 35 years. For those of us that remember, it was truly a magical season.

I will never forget the pain of the loss to Navy. I was teased mercilessly at school after that loss. The question "What if?" will never leave us.

During that time period, I was fortunate enough to meet Allen Mitchell. He was a family friend and I played caught a few balls with him in my back yard in NC. Well, he was in my back yard, and I had to back up to my neighbors back yard. lol. RIP Allen.

Let's hope that 35 years later, we can find a little of that magic THIS season...
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Default Re: "Screaming out 'Black Magic' like 84..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Seems like just yesterday, but's this this fall will be 35 years. For those of us that remember, it was truly a magical season.

I will never forget the pain of the loss to Navy. I was teased mercilessly at school after that loss. The question "What if?" will never leave us.

During that time period, I was fortunate enough to meet Allen Mitchell. He was a family friend and I played caught a few balls with him in my back yard in NC. Well, he was in my back yard, and I had to back up to my neighbors back yard. lol. RIP Allen.

Let's hope that 35 years later, we can find a little of that magic THIS season...

Yes Lonnie, that was a Magical Season for us Gamecocks back then. At the time I was working on a nuclear powerhouse in Jawja and I had to come in and hear 10,000 screaming rednecks say "How Bout Dem Dawgs" every morning. For awhile that year I was able to keep all of them at bay with the remarkable season we had. Sad to see the Navy game and it's outcome and then losing to OK State in the Gator Bowl that year. We had it going on like nobody else that year until our heartbreaking loss to Navy. Hopefully, better times are out there for the Gamecock Nation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

I was in my second year of law school that year. It was a good time to be a USC student. James Seawright was a terrific linebacker. There were stars at almost every position and someone always came through. But Mike Hold was the key. He's rarely talked about as one of the best SC QBs to ever play but in my mind he was #1 for a long time ... until Connor Shaw. (apologies to Jeff Grantz)

It was amazing and truly wonderful. After that season, we were always looking for the next 10 win season.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

That was the season that made me a Gamecock forever. I was 10 years old. My family moved to Columbia. I had not been interested in football much before. Much less Gamecocks. But after that season I was hooked for life.

Loss to lsu in death valley (grey unis/shaws INT ) comes a close 2nd in pain for me. I think the team was #3 in the nation with a lead (possibly even double digit lead) in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Gamecock View Post
    Loss to lsu in death valley (grey unis/shaws INT ) comes a close 2nd in pain for me. I think the team was #3 in the nation with a lead (possibly even double digit lead) in the 3rd.
    We were up 14-10 in the fourth quarter. That one was painful, but to me Tennessee the next year was worse. Like Navy, it was on the road against a team that we had no business losing to, and it cost us a championship.
    University of South Carolina '19

Loss to lsu in death valley (grey unis/shaws INT )
    Idk which was worse... the bad INT or Jeremy Hill not getting touched on a 50+yd touchdown 2 plays later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
    Tennessee the next year was worse. Like Navy, it was on the road against a team that we had no business losing to, and it cost us a championship.
    This was the worst loss of the Spurrier era even with the 2010 meltdown to UK.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    This was the worst loss of the Spurrier era even with the 2010 meltdown to UK.
    That was all on the HBC. He had to get fancy with his play calling and gave the momentum away. He underestimated UTen.

I was not a Clemson fan until 2005, but I paid some attention to both teams. In 1981, Clemson seemed to come out of nowhere and win the NC. Just 3 years later, SC came within 1 bad game of playing for an NC. I thought that was pretty cool coming from a small state like South Carolina. I thought the same thing when SC won the 2010 CWS; when it was down to three teams, two were from South Carolina.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Come on people - this is a thread about the black magic season. Why contaminate it with a bunch of unrelated stuff from other seasons.

That loss to Navy is one that will stick with me til the day I die. Still the worst loss I can remember as far as the implications of the loss.

I was a student then and at every game that season. One of the game and season saving plays at ND was when Mike Hold was about to be sacked and he handed the ball off to OL Carl Womble who ran the ball for a 7 yard gain. Great season and time to be a USC student but man that drive back from Navy sucked.
    Any day above ground is a good one!

I think Tennessee in '13 was definitely the worst loss because of all the championship implications, but believe it or not the most painful loss for me was to Vanderbilt in '07. The 6-1 start brought so much momentum, than the Vandy loss just made no sense and the rest of the season turned out to be trash after that

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    Come on people - this is a thread about the black magic season. Why contaminate it with a bunch of unrelated stuff from other seasons.
    2006 in the swamp was tough loss as well...

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1119 View Post
    I think Tennessee in '13 was definitely the worst loss because of all the championship implications, but believe it or not the most painful loss for me was to Vanderbilt in '07. The 6-1 start brought so much momentum, than the Vandy loss just made no sense and the rest of the season turned out to be trash after that
    Very true.. i was at that game and remember the feeling of the crowd walking out. It stung for sure. Smelley and the offense couldnt do anything that day.. i believe i even remember the score.. 17-6?

and yea UT 2013 was a blown game. 1 point lead with the ball and 3 minutes. Just a few first doens wins it, still think the lsu loss and auburn 2011 had the most championship implications though. Could never beat our weat opponents. Whether it was lsu, auburn, or arkansas one year in those 11 win years. The painful thing was all 3 of those had a great chance to be 1 loss seasons but you could always count on spurrier losing 1 by being completely outschemed. Of course, hed win you a few that way as well.
    Last edited by SC Gamecock; 06-21-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Very true.. i was at that game and remember the feeling of the crowd walking out. It stung for sure. Smelley and the offense couldnt do anything that day.. i believe i even remember the score.. 17-6?

and yea UT 2013 was a blown game. 1 point lead with the ball and 3 minutes. Just a few first doens wins it, still think the lsu loss and auburn 2011 had the most championship implications though. Could never beat our weat opponents. Whether it was lsu, auburn, or arkansas one year in those 11 win years. The painful thing was all 3 of those had a great chance to be 1 loss seasons but you could always count on spurrier losing 1 by being completely outschemed. Of course, hed win you a few that way as well.
    I forgot about the Auburn game. The one silver lining of that game is that it paved the way for Connor Shaw. And as great of a career as Spurrier had, that's the biggest flaw he had. It would happen at UF too.
    University of South Carolina '19

Quote Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
    That loss to Navy is one that will stick with me til the day I die. Still the worst loss I can remember as far as the implications of the loss.
    The worse part of that loss to Navy was that going into that game, they had ONE ( ONE ) threat to any D1 school if they
    had a chance to luck up and back into a win, and that was Napoleon McCallum, and he was injured a week or two before
    we played them and never ran a play against us that game. They ended their season with four wins, we had beaten a
    ranked Georgia and Florida State team prior to playing them and we got our butts handed to us when they were without
    their one offensive threat to our (Fire Ant) defense. .... unbelievable.

Was born in April of 84 and even though I don't remember the season I attended quite a few games as an infant. Its infamy lives on among Carolina fans.

I was at all the home games we played that season, and still to this day, the UGA game that year
    is one of my top 5 Carolina Games that I attended at The Cockpit in my life. Even when the Gamecocks
    were at their best recently ( say between 2010 - 2013 ) ....The Ingram / JD Clowney years, That
    game against the Dawgs in 1984 was the single best defensive game I've ever witnessed from this program.
    Georgia had made shambles out of several teams over the past couple of years throwing WR and Tunnel
    Screens out in the flats and letting their Backs and TEs go one-on-one with the opponents LBs / DBs.
    South Carolina's defense made an ungodly amount of one-on-one tackles against them through that
    whole game, and had Georgia's offense totally frustrated when the game was winding down. The Gamecocks
    stuffed them thee times on 3rd and short (two of those stops were less than a yard).
    The Dawgs brought a tough defense with them for that game too, but SC was able to continue to stop
    Georgia drives all night, and turned the field position in our favor. We stayed in it until Mike Hold hit
    Ira Hillary with that 80+ yard TD and all the fight went out of UGA's offense after that.
    It was a game following a couple of close wins against some "So-So" teams ( Duke for one ), and you
    could see the confidence build in the team after that win. It Peaked a few weeks later when we took down
    Florida State and most SC fans were thinking (this could be THAT season for us) ............Then Navy
    shocked the team and the fans back to reality. Even so, 1984 was a fun season to be a Gamecock fan.
    A lot of what ifs here and there, a big comeback win against Clemson (during "The Fridge" years), and a
    game that we should have won against Okl. State in the bowl game. It was fun to sit through that season.