Thread: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

Default Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

ERIK BAKICH is in the college Word Series. Was my pick for our new head coach before we settled on Kingston. Michigan baseball in CWS finals. Pretty amazing job.

Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

Go wolverines! To hell with vandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    ERIK BAKICH is in the college Word Series. Was my pick for our new head coach before we settled on Kingston. Michigan baseball in CWS finals. Pretty amazing job.
    He has been there 7 years? Mark has only been here 2 years with no full recruiting classes of his own through his first two seasons. I think Mark will do just fine well before 7 years.

Bakich did not want the SC baseball job. He's a Clemson guy. Same with Sully. I hope Kingston succeeds. Coach Tanner had that "gut" instinct and ability to communicate and motivate. He also genuinely cared about his players. Kingston was highly regarded as an "up and comer." We shall see.

We didn't settle on Kingston. He was one of the very first people Coach Tanner spoke with.

Bakich has also been at Michigan for now 7 years and this is the 3rd time they've made the post season. He's been a head coach for 10 years now with the same 3 trips to the post season (this the only trip to Omaha). He hasn't even won the Big Ten Conference while there. Michigan is hot at the right time.

Kingston has been a head coach the same 10 years with 4 trips to the post season. He took a South Florida team that hadn't seen the post season in 13 years to the Regionals in his first and third seasons, and they haven't been back. He took a South Carolina team that had been to the post season once in four years, and was 1 game away from Omaha his first season. This past season absolutely sucked, but I would have liked to have seen any coach succeed in the conference we're in after losing our entire weekend pitching staff.

But yes ... a coach that's been able to build a program for 7 seasons versus a guy that's been here for 2 years and experienced catastrophic injuries, had a much better season on the diamond.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

I do not disagree. The sky isn't falling.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    We didn't settle on Kingston. He was one of the very first people Coach Tanner spoke with.

Bakich has also been at Michigan for now 7 years and this is the 3rd time they've made the post season. He's been a head coach for 10 years now with the same 3 trips to the post season (this the only trip to Omaha). He hasn't even won the Big Ten Conference while there. Michigan is hot at the right time.

Kingston has been a head coach the same 10 years with 4 trips to the post season. He took a South Florida team that hadn't seen the post season in 13 years to the Regionals in his first and third seasons, and they haven't been back. He took a South Carolina team that had been to the post season once in four years, and was 1 game away from Omaha his first season. This past season absolutely sucked, but I would have liked to have seen any coach succeed in the conference we're in after losing our entire weekend pitching staff.

But yes ... a coach that's been able to build a program for 7 seasons versus a guy that's been here for 2 years and experienced catastrophic injuries, had a much better season on the diamond.
    Your kidding right? It is an absolute accomplishment for a cold weather state team like Michigan to be in the CWS finals. I don't care how long it took him. Simply point out that this guy was my pick as replacement for HC and he would have been a good one. And you are either being dishonest or outright lying to say we didn't settle on Kingston. He was not a top candidate at the time of hire. I bet you believe Muschamp was our top candidate too and we didn't settle on him either.

He was more of a factor for the Stanford job than ours. I actually think it was smart of him to stay at Michigan. You can build a good program and dominate the Big 10 where they aren’t known for their baseball.

As as for the “settle on Kingston”, I get that he wasn’t the number one guy. That was O’Sullivan. However, I don’t think he was way down on Tanners list. What were the honest chances of getting OSullivan when he had just won a national championship? Kingston was going to get a Power 5 job...he probably would be at one of the big Florida schools right now had Tanner not offer the job.

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    He was more of a factor for the Stanford job than ours. I actually think it was smart of him to stay at Michigan. You can build a good program and dominate the Big 10 where they aren’t known for their baseball.

As as for the “settle on Kingston”, I get that he wasn’t the number one guy. That was O’Sullivan. However, I don’t think he was way down on Tanners list. What were the honest chances of getting OSullivan when he had just won a national championship? Kingston was going to get a Power 5 job...he probably would be at one of the big Florida schools right now had Tanner not offer the job.
    Had he not won, they chances were high, unfortunately.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post

Had he not won, they chances were high, unfortunately.
    What can I say...
    I'm complicated

Your kidding right? It is an absolute accomplishment for a cold weather state team like Michigan to be in the CWS finals. I don't care how long it took him. Simply point out that this guy was my pick as replacement for HC and he would have been a good one. And you are either being dishonest or outright lying to say we didn't settle on Kingston. He was not a top candidate at the time of hire. I bet you believe Muschamp was our top candidate too and we didn't settle on him either.
    Michigan has 2 National titles in Baseball ... the same this warm weather school has.

Please name the candidates that were ahead of Kingston on Coach Tanner's list (not yours). Yes, Sully was catching a ton of attention, but come on let's hear it since you're BFFs with him. Who were the countless coaches that turned us down and forced us to "settle" on Kingston?
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Tanner took who he could get regardless of any list. He settled for the best option that would come here. Blinded USC fans will always argue he was the absolute best and number one option. He may get it turned around and I’m hoping he does but those same fans continually help him in the excuse department. Real USC fans always have a pocket full of excuses to quote. Michigan won it in 1953 and 1962....

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
    for the best option that would come here.
    There is a lot of truth in this statement that many fans don't want to believe. Like it or not, coaches weren't banging down our doors to come here. At least, not the ones that people wanted. Most of those coaches were well entrenched in their current programs, and not interested in leaving.
    What can I say...
    I'm complicated

Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    There is a lot of truth in this statement that many fans don't want to believe. Like it or not, coaches weren't banging down our doors to come here. At least, not the ones that people wanted. Most of those coaches were well entrenched in their current programs, and not interested in leaving.
    Yep. I remember thinking at the time, "Who else should we get then?".

We just have to hunker down and hope for the best next season.