Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

  1. #1
    Household Name Ironfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,129

    Default Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    ERIK BAKICH is in the college Word Series. Was my pick for our new head coach before we settled on Kingston. Michigan baseball in CWS finals. Pretty amazing job.

  2. #2
    2nd Team All-SEC evilpoptart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,562

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Go wolverines! To hell with vandy.

  3. #3
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    ERIK BAKICH is in the college Word Series. Was my pick for our new head coach before we settled on Kingston. Michigan baseball in CWS finals. Pretty amazing job.
    He has been there 7 years? Mark has only been here 2 years with no full recruiting classes of his own through his first two seasons. I think Mark will do just fine well before 7 years.

  4. #4
    Walk On donnal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Bakich did not want the SC baseball job. He's a Clemson guy. Same with Sully. I hope Kingston succeeds. Coach Tanner had that "gut" instinct and ability to communicate and motivate. He also genuinely cared about his players. Kingston was highly regarded as an "up and comer." We shall see.

  5. #5
    ONE NINE 3 cack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    27,327

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    ERIK BAKICH is in the college Word Series. Was my pick for our new head coach before we settled on Kingston. Michigan baseball in CWS finals. Pretty amazing job.
    We didn't settle on Kingston. He was one of the very first people Coach Tanner spoke with.

    Bakich has also been at Michigan for now 7 years and this is the 3rd time they've made the post season. He's been a head coach for 10 years now with the same 3 trips to the post season (this the only trip to Omaha). He hasn't even won the Big Ten Conference while there. Michigan is hot at the right time.

    Kingston has been a head coach the same 10 years with 4 trips to the post season. He took a South Florida team that hadn't seen the post season in 13 years to the Regionals in his first and third seasons, and they haven't been back. He took a South Carolina team that had been to the post season once in four years, and was 1 game away from Omaha his first season. This past season absolutely sucked, but I would have liked to have seen any coach succeed in the conference we're in after losing our entire weekend pitching staff.

    But yes ... a coach that's been able to build a program for 7 seasons versus a guy that's been here for 2 years and experienced catastrophic injuries, had a much better season on the diamond.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ


    Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

  6. #6
    Walk On donnal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    I do not disagree. The sky isn't falling.

  7. #7
    Household Name Ironfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,129

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    We didn't settle on Kingston. He was one of the very first people Coach Tanner spoke with.

    Bakich has also been at Michigan for now 7 years and this is the 3rd time they've made the post season. He's been a head coach for 10 years now with the same 3 trips to the post season (this the only trip to Omaha). He hasn't even won the Big Ten Conference while there. Michigan is hot at the right time.

    Kingston has been a head coach the same 10 years with 4 trips to the post season. He took a South Florida team that hadn't seen the post season in 13 years to the Regionals in his first and third seasons, and they haven't been back. He took a South Carolina team that had been to the post season once in four years, and was 1 game away from Omaha his first season. This past season absolutely sucked, but I would have liked to have seen any coach succeed in the conference we're in after losing our entire weekend pitching staff.

    But yes ... a coach that's been able to build a program for 7 seasons versus a guy that's been here for 2 years and experienced catastrophic injuries, had a much better season on the diamond.
    Your kidding right? It is an absolute accomplishment for a cold weather state team like Michigan to be in the CWS finals. I don't care how long it took him. Simply point out that this guy was my pick as replacement for HC and he would have been a good one. And you are either being dishonest or outright lying to say we didn't settle on Kingston. He was not a top candidate at the time of hire. I bet you believe Muschamp was our top candidate too and we didn't settle on him either.

  8. #8
    Blue Chip spurfan93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    columbia
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    He was more of a factor for the Stanford job than ours. I actually think it was smart of him to stay at Michigan. You can build a good program and dominate the Big 10 where they aren’t known for their baseball.

    As as for the “settle on Kingston”, I get that he wasn’t the number one guy. That was O’Sullivan. However, I don’t think he was way down on Tanners list. What were the honest chances of getting OSullivan when he had just won a national championship? Kingston was going to get a Power 5 job...he probably would be at one of the big Florida schools right now had Tanner not offer the job.

  9. #9
    Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 - Carolina Stadium
    Posts
    13,613

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    He was more of a factor for the Stanford job than ours. I actually think it was smart of him to stay at Michigan. You can build a good program and dominate the Big 10 where they aren’t known for their baseball.

    As as for the “settle on Kingston”, I get that he wasn’t the number one guy. That was O’Sullivan. However, I don’t think he was way down on Tanners list. What were the honest chances of getting OSullivan when he had just won a national championship? Kingston was going to get a Power 5 job...he probably would be at one of the big Florida schools right now had Tanner not offer the job.
    Had he not won, they chances were high, unfortunately.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

  10. #10
    Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 - Carolina Stadium
    Posts
    13,613

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    He was more of a factor for the Stanford job than ours. I actually think it was smart of him to stay at Michigan. You can build a good program and dominate the Big 10 where they aren’t known for their baseball.

    As as for the “settle on Kingston”, I get that he wasn’t the number one guy. That was O’Sullivan. However, I don’t think he was way down on Tanners list. What were the honest chances of getting OSullivan when he had just won a national championship? Kingston was going to get a Power 5 job...he probably would be at one of the big Florida schools right now had Tanner not offer the job.
    Had he not won, they chances were high, unfortunately.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

  11. #11
    ONE NINE 3 cack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    27,327

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    Your kidding right? It is an absolute accomplishment for a cold weather state team like Michigan to be in the CWS finals. I don't care how long it took him. Simply point out that this guy was my pick as replacement for HC and he would have been a good one. And you are either being dishonest or outright lying to say we didn't settle on Kingston. He was not a top candidate at the time of hire. I bet you believe Muschamp was our top candidate too and we didn't settle on him either.
    Michigan has 2 National titles in Baseball ... the same this warm weather school has.

    Please name the candidates that were ahead of Kingston on Coach Tanner's list (not yours). Yes, Sully was catching a ton of attention, but come on let's hear it since you're BFFs with him. Who were the countless coaches that turned us down and forced us to "settle" on Kingston?
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ


    Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

  12. #12
    BMF gamecock88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    _
    Posts
    7,374

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    Your kidding right? It is an absolute accomplishment for a cold weather state team like Michigan to be in the CWS finals. I don't care how long it took him. Simply point out that this guy was my pick as replacement for HC and he would have been a good one. And you are either being dishonest or outright lying to say we didn't settle on Kingston. He was not a top candidate at the time of hire. I bet you believe Muschamp was our top candidate too and we didn't settle on him either.
    Tanner took who he could get regardless of any list. He settled for the best option that would come here. Blinded USC fans will always argue he was the absolute best and number one option. He may get it turned around and I’m hoping he does but those same fans continually help him in the excuse department. Real USC fans always have a pocket full of excuses to quote. Michigan won it in 1953 and 1962....

  13. #13
    Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 - Carolina Stadium
    Posts
    13,613

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
    for the best option that would come here.
    There is a lot of truth in this statement that many fans don't want to believe. Like it or not, coaches weren't banging down our doors to come here. At least, not the ones that people wanted. Most of those coaches were well entrenched in their current programs, and not interested in leaving.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

  14. #14
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,697

    Default Re: Michigan vs Vanderbilt 2019 CWS

    Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    There is a lot of truth in this statement that many fans don't want to believe. Like it or not, coaches weren't banging down our doors to come here. At least, not the ones that people wanted. Most of those coaches were well entrenched in their current programs, and not interested in leaving.
    Yep. I remember thinking at the time, "Who else should we get then?".

    We just have to hunker down and hope for the best next season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •