Thread: South Carolina Football: 2019 Biggest Questions

Default South Carolina Football: 2019 Biggest Questions

"I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Default Re: South Carolina Football: 2019 Biggest Questions

This guy makes a lot of good points. The injuries took a huge toll on us last year, especially on the defense. Turnovers did not help us a whole lot either, but the bottom line is that other teams just had more talent than we did for the most part last year and especially on both sides of the line. As far as the schedule goes this year, we do play in the SEC and it is what it is and some years are a lot better than others and some years they are worst. I think as a coach you welcome the challenge to see what your team is made of and how you compete against the best in your conference. Fan wise, we most likely hate it and would prefer a much softer schedule this year till our younger players get more experience. I hope that our team rises far above all expectations that most sports writers have placed upon us. As the old saying goes: "You don't know how you look - until you get your picture took"!!!

Very valid questions he's asking that the fan base is asking as well.

We saw the difference between the 2017 and 2018 seasons correlate with our turnover margin, so improving in that department should result in more wins than losses respectively. Although his question about WR play is fair, I think we have the talent to fill Deebo's void and improve upon the unit's receiving stats from last year. The 3rd question was surprising in that Muschamp thinks this is the best O and D line he's ever had here. I agree with him on the D Line, but am not as sure about the O Line since whichever unit starts will not have played the same amount of snaps as the unit that started last year. The 4th and 5th questions are stating the obvious at this point and will probably hold true if we can't pull off an upset this year.

Thanks for posting Lonnie
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    Very valid questions he's asking that the fan base is asking as well.

We saw the difference between the 2017 and 2018 seasons correlate with our turnover margin, so improving in that department should result in more wins than losses respectively. Although his question about WR play is fair, I think we have the talent to fill Deebo's void and improve upon the unit's receiving stats from last year. The 3rd question was surprising in that Muschamp thinks this is the best O and D line he's ever had here. I agree with him on the D Line, but am not as sure about the O Line since whichever unit starts will not have played the same amount of snaps as the unit that started last year. The 4th and 5th questions are stating the obvious at this point and will probably hold true if we can't pull off an upset this year.

Thanks for posting Lonnie
    I think the way he was explaining it was "competitive depth". The 1s last year may have been a better unit than the 1s this year, but they had nobody behind them if anyone got tired or injured. This year, we have more competition 2 deep and then some across the board than we previously had.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    I think the way he was explaining it was "competitive depth". The 1s last year may have been a better unit than the 1s this year, but they had nobody behind them if anyone got tired or injured. This year, we have more competition 2 deep and then some across the board than we previously had.
    Well that makes sense to me, and I would tend to agree the overall talent/depth on the O Line is the best it's been during Champ's time here. But I still think there are a lot of unknowns even with projecting who our first unit would be. I even thought about creating a thread on here to discuss. I think Hutch will start at LT, Wonnum at RT, and Stanley somewhere in the interior, but that's about all we know thus far. We can have all the talent in the world but we're not going to know what our best unit is to kickoff the season which is really why I was confused about the answer to the 3rd question. Excited to see it play out, and for the record I think Gwynn and Manos would be the other guys we see start with the others I mentioned.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

I thought he had very valid and intelligent points. The only things I would add that I feel are key and have been identified by our coaches are: 1) increase take aways by our defense. 2) Improved special team play. Such as blocking punts and field goal attempts.
    Those two things alone can add more Ws

Just give me the Jake Bentley from the second half of the season last year (minus the bowl game) and we’ll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by CockSlap21 View Post
    Just give me the Jake Bentley from the second half of the season last year (minus the bowl game) and we’ll be good.
    In particular, give us the JB that torched Clem$on’s Safeties for the entire year, and we’ll be fine.

Biggest for me is how the offense will manage to replace Deebo. He wasn't the head of the offense for every game, but not having him certainly makes you wonder how they will compensate w/o him. Really curious to see if Josh Vann can take the next step in becoming an impact guy and can OrTre Smith make his mark after being out a year on injury.

Quote Originally Posted by xXSirSpurXx View Post
    Biggest for me is how the offense will manage to replace Deebo. He wasn't the head of the offense for every game, but not having him certainly makes you wonder how they will compensate w/o him. Really curious to see if Josh Vann can take the next step in becoming an impact guy and can OrTre Smith make his mark after being out a year on injury.
    I think with a couple of these guys stepping up and better consistency from Bentley will offset not having Deebo. I’m hoping that Jake’s light comes on his final year, just like Troy Aikman’s did his senior year at UCLA back in the day. He does anything close to that, we’ll win games not many are expecting us to.

Quote Originally Posted by xXSirSpurXx View Post
    Or will Jay Urich break out at WR and become one of our 2 two-way players. Stated in jest, but it was interesting how Urich surprised as a fill-in in the spring game and Turner manned 2 spots as well. Both were out of necessity after our incredible string of injuries last season. Can we stay healthy enough this season to contend through a beat-down schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
    I think with a couple of these guys stepping up and better consistency from Bentley will offset not having Deebo. I’m hoping that Jake’s light comes on his final year, just like Troy Aikman’s did his senior year at UCLA back in the day. He does anything close to that, we’ll win games not many are expecting us to.
    I hope we find someone to return punts and someone to return kickoffs that are a threat to score every time they touch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I hope we find someone to return punts and someone to return kickoffs that are a threat to score every time they touch the ball.
    That'd be me - but I'm not saying for which team.