Thread: 7th Inning Stretch at Wrigley Field on 06/27/19

Default 7th Inning Stretch at Wrigley Field on 06/27/19

Look who sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

Last edited by SwampFox; 06-28-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Default Re: 7th Inning Stretch at Wrigley Field on 06/27/19

nice - Cookie Monster was always my favorite!

Default Re: 7th Inning Stretch at Wrigley Field on 06/27/19

Not the first time The Muppets and MLB have come together, but it's been a while.

OP takes me back to my childhood in the 1970's and Mark "The Bird" Fidrych of the Detroit Tigers for those of us old enough to remember.

Name:  Sportsillustrated1977.JPG.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  169.7 KB

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

He was the 1976 AL Rookie of the Year, but his career was cut short by an un-diagnosed torn rotator cuff.

Fidrych also captured the imagination of fans with his antics on the field. He would crouch down on the pitcher's mound and fix cleat marks, what became known as "manicuring the mound", talk to himself, talk to the ball, aim the ball like a dart, strut around the mound after every out, and throw back balls that "had hits in them", insisting they be removed from the game. Mark Fidrych also was known for shaking everyone's hands after a game.

Every time he pitched, Tiger Stadium was jam-packed with fans who became known as "Bird Watchers". Fidrych's fan appeal was also enhanced by the fact that he had his own "personal catcher". Because Tigers coaching and managerial staff were somewhat superstitious about "jinxing" Fidrych's success, Bruce Kimm, a rookie catcher, caught each of Fidrych's outings.

It became common to hear the crowd chant "We want the Bird, we want the Bird" at the end of each of his home victories. The chants would continue until he emerged from the dugout to tip his cap to the crowd. While these "curtain calls" have become more common in modern sports, they were less so in mid-1970s baseball. In his 18 appearances at Tiger Stadium, attendance equaled almost half of the entire season's 81 home games. Teams started asking Detroit to change its pitching rotation so Fidrych could pitch in their ballparks, and he appeared on the cover of numerous magazines, including Sports Illustrated (twice, including once with Sesame Street character Big Bird), Rolling Stone (as of 2015, the only baseball player ever to make the cover of the rock and roll magazine), and The Sporting News. In one week, Fidrych turned away five people who wanted to be his agent, saying, "Only I know my real value and can negotiate it."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

Because he was held back twice in school, in first and second grade, Fidrych was 19 years old as a senior in high school, ineligible to compete in the public school system. So he transferred to private Worcester Academy, where he could play and whence he was selected by Detroit in the 10th round of the 1974 draft.
    Throwing his 90-mph sinking fastball and hard slider, Fidrych defeated the Yankees 5-1 on seven hits to a series of increasingly raucous ovations that sounded like thunder. His teammates pushed him out of the dugout for one curtain call, then another. Nearly 50,000 people chanted "Bird! Bird! Bird!" and refused to leave the stadium. "It was electrifying," says Fidrych. "That's when it all took off."

In the clubhouse Coleman drew him aside and said, "Kid, that was awesome." Veryzer told him, "Thanks. I may never get to play in a World Series, but that's what it must be like." Bullpen coach Jim (Pie) Hegan, a veteran of 33 major league seasons as a player and coach, simply slapped Fidrych with his mitt and barked, "Good game, kid." But the old coach had gooseflesh.

Later, at his locker, the Bird was asked by the New York press corps what he had to say to Yankees catcher Thurman Munson, who had sat out the game but had nonetheless called Fidrych "fly-by-night" and "a showboat" after the game. "Who's Thurman Munson?" Fidrych replied.

"When I said that, the writers left," says Fidrych. "They didn't ask me another question; they just went running out of the clubhouse. I look over at Pie, and he's laughin' so hahd. He said, 'Mahk, I know you. But those guys don't. I hate to tell
    you, but Thurman Munson may be the best catcher in the big leagues, and tomorrow, all the papers in New York will say BIRD TO YANKEES: THURMAN WHO?"
    https://www.si.com/vault/2001/07/02/...same-rare-bird
    Last edited by kingofnerf; 06-30-2019 at 10:24 AM.