Thread: Jewelry Warehouse

Default Jewelry Warehouse

I recently moved back to the Columbia area after 20 years in Florida. I see that the Jewelry Warehouses have all shutdown because the owner wasn't paying his bills, possibly due to the terminal illness and death of his wife. Does anyone know what is going to happen to the business going forward? I know the Tax Commission pulled their retail license, but is there any chance the stores might ever reopen?

Default Re: Jewelry Warehouse

The was an article in The State on May 4th about the final two stores closing and I started to post it, but I felt it would just have added to the negative vibes that were going on back then.

Academy Sports over by Columbiana Mall has a good selection of Gamecock stuff and may actually have cut into JW's business at their store over there to force it to close.

The Hibbett Sports store where I live carries mainly Nike and Clemson gear but I did find some plain garnet UA T-shirts that are much cheaper at Academy.

The sad thing is I also got those guys to replace my watch batteries. It makes you wonder if cell phones have killed the watch business, too.

I haven't seen or heard anything more about JW since May.

Is Todd and Moore still open?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    The was an article in The State on May 4th about the final two stores closing and I started to post it, but I felt it would just have added to the negative vibes that were going on back then.

Academy Sports over by Columbiana Mall has a good selection of Gamecock stuff and may actually have cut into JW's business at their store over there to force it to close.

The Hibbett Sports store where I live carries mainly Nike and Clemson gear but I did find some plain garnet UA T-shirts that are much cheaper at Academy.

The sad thing is I also got those guys to replace my watch batteries. It makes you wonder if cell phones have killed the watch business, too.

I haven't seen or heard anything more about JW since May.

Is Todd and Moore still open?
    Todd and Moore is still open. I like to go there for certain things, and it's nice to support a local independent business over Dick's or Academy, when I can.

2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar

This is from the former owner Scott Satterfield. He is a really good guy and things just went south in a hurry when his wife got sick.

I know this is long, but it is what I want people to know.
    My brother is awesome and has helped me a ton - he said to shorten, and he’s probably right. I believe people that know me though, may want the full story so here it is....

Friends and family,

What a lousy couple of days! If I’m being honest, what a lousy six years.

It is with great sadness I am writing this.

Satterfield’s Jewelry Warehouse is being liquidated as the bank has called our loan and foreclosure began immediately. Unfortunately, the Department of Revenue has taken notice and revoked our business license just as the sale was about to begin. Lawyers are involved and those that foreclosed are trying to complete a liquidation.

Bear with me while I open up to give you all the true story and not bits and pieces of the truth surrounded by a lot of misinformation. This situation has certainly humbled me and I feel like everyone deserves an explanation on how we got here.

When our two new locations were built with the help of a bank loan in 2013, things looked very promising. Unfortunately, less than 8 months after the loan was issued, and as a result of the housing crash and the ripple effect that it caused, the inventory which was used to provide the loan (collateral) was “re-evaluated” and it was cut almost in half. The new evaluation resulted in a paper default, and that was the beginning of 6 years of struggle. The bank dictated what we could and couldn’t do for a period of time resulting in a significant amount of debt to taxes and vendors. (They were interested in us paying off their lien first, of course, which they owned)

During the same time in July of 2013 my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, and from that point on, my focus was far more on taking care of her. While our relationship with each other and God flourished, the business certainly took a bit of a back seat. My only regret here is she had to spend her last days worrying about money. Ultimately, she passed away October 3, 2016.

Truth is I thought I was spreading my efforts appropriately to take care of both, working early and late while she slept and tending to her as needed. But with doctor appointments and hospital stays, it is now apparent I had not seen many key warning signals. It was only after her death that I fully realized how many things went unseen and uncorrected.

The bank loan was ultimately purchased by another company and the lien with it, but the financial damage had been done. It created a vicious cycle of needing to make sales but not having the money to buy the merchandise. The hole just kept getting deeper and deeper. Selection suffered and so did sales. From predatory loans, scams, liens, levies, and (now) licenses revoked, we’ve done it all and we cannot do it anymore. I’m tired and the only thing that has kept me going is my faith and the staff.

The staff at our stores has been awesome. They could have left at any time but they stayed during the illness and continued through the financial struggles. I am so thankful for each and every one of them – I feel truly blessed to have them as a part of our company. Because of their loyalty I promised to work and fight to keep things going and to flip things over time. They did not quit on me and I was not going to quit on them and I vowed I would only stop if an outside source closed us down. Sadly, that has happened but not because of lack of effort. I tried in every way I could.

I have a house that has two mortgages, my wife’s life insurance went 100% into the business and I drive a 7 year old Prius. I took no salary during much of this time - no off shore bank account or mansion somewhere – this is all I have. I have told everyone that ever treated me like we had money that we did not but sometimes people believe what they think and not reality. I have not nor will I ever try to impress – I will live to glorify God and no one else.

Speaking of God, that is really why I am writing this. Apparently, some people use my circumstance to bash Christianity. God is in control and when things go wrong, I will lean on him for guidance and direction. The valleys lead to the mountaintops but we were never promised no struggles. Being a Christian doesn’t mean my bank account will be full – but God loves me and that is enough…

The first lien holder has foreclosed on their lien, and that is where things now stand. Nothing hidden and nothing directed or coordinated by me –But apparently the Sales Tax officials think otherwise, but they are wrong and in time they will see this is true.

Sometimes things don’t work out and there is no criminal design (people who own businesses can attest to this I believe). Some people like to try to create a story when the truth is, I failed. I failed my staff, my vendors, the sales tax authority, and my family. That is something I must live with.

Thank you for being a part of our family - We appreciate your love and support.

I may be knocked down today, but with God’s help, I am going to try to get up and continue my story. Hoping many good things will be ahead.

TLDR: Jewelry Warehouse/Garnet and Black Traditions is gone for good which sucks because they were by far the best local place to get gamecock gear. Fanatics.com is where I'll get most of my stuff from now on. They have good prices and a rewards program similar to what JW used to have.

They were for sure the best store. Not the cheapest, but great selection

Where are we going to get the stickers from???

Where are we going to get the stickers from???
    I was thinking the same thing. especially with the SC Place store in Columbiana Centre now gone.
    Last edited by SwampFox; 07-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Could've been a Contender COCKDIESEL's Avatar

Question, does Columbia need another Gamecock store to fill the gap GBT closing will leave?

Running in a Sandstorm Gamecockboyo's Avatar

GBT was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. I had the privilege to help open both of the new stores. Scott is a great guy and after his wife fell ill to cancer everything went crazy. Through all of the rough spots his faith helped him get through it.

As as far as stores to shop at, you can never go wrong with the bookstore although “It’s pricey”. Palmetto Moon is now at the mall, and Barefoot down by the CLA is a great place to shop and very reasonably priced!

Sorry to hear this. I moved away 30 years ago but still placed an order for Gamecock gear from H
    G&B Traditions at least once a year.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

Sad to hear. Bought lots of stuff from them online (since I live in Colorado). Illness can really take it's toll on your life. I hope his family is OK.