Thread: BBQ In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant - Who Has The Best Between The Bessingers

Default BBQ In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant - Who Has The Best Between The Bessingers

I saw a TV show tonight about Bessinger's on the Savannah Hwy and I know that Melvin Bessinger has a BBQ Restaurant over in Mt. Pleasant. There may be more restaurants in the Charleston Area, but according to all of you that eat down that way, which one is the best or could both of them be equally good. I think that they are the same family, but maybe cousins???

I have eaten at both places with Melvin's being the latest several years ago and it was very good that day. I have also had Que at Bessinger's on the Savannah Hwy, but it was maybe 7 or 8 years ago and it seems to me it was also very good.

What do the locals have to say or people that travel to the Holy City a whole lot think???

Default Re: BBQ In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant - Who Has The Best Between The Bessingers

I used to hit the buffet for many years on Savannah Hwy, more so for the other choices than the bbq. Last couple of times I went the buffet was disappointing, then they ultimately closed it.

Got the Q from the drive through at Sav Hwy a couple of times since, service sucked, items were left off, and the Q was disappointing.

Been to the Bessingers on James Island a few times, overall just not impressed.

Right now Swig & Swine and the new Martins BBQ on James Island are my go to’s for good Q. Home Team seems to have the best wings, that’s the only edge I give them.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Default Re: BBQ In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant - Who Has The Best Between The Bessingers

I'm a fan of Swig and Swine. I like the bbq, brisket and the chicken, but I have to say we usually go on wednesday for 50 cent wing night, they also have some banging pork rinds. I highly recommend them.

I haven't tried Bessingers, it's not to far from me so I might give it a shot.

I saw Bessinger's on Exotic Foods last night and they were putting "cole slaw on the BBQ sandwiches"? Is this the norm now with sandwiches as you see it more and more on BBQ Shows around the South & Southwest? I like mine without, but I could understand the "different strokes for different folks thing here"???

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    I'm a fan of Swig and Swine. I like the bbq, brisket and the chicken, but I have to say we usually go on wednesday for 50 cent wing night, they also have some banging pork rinds. I highly recommend them.

I haven't tried Bessingers, it's not to far from me so I might give it a shot.
    If you try Bessingers I’d say the one on James Island is better than the one one Savannah Hwy., particularly service wise. I’ve had a lot of service issues over the last couple of years at Savannah Hwy, things missing from to go orders, cold food, long waits, etc. Probably the worst was the day they had a big sign at the cash register advertising a special, they charged me regular price. When I pointed out the sign, at first the cashier wanted to argue about it...then when a “manager” came out she admitted she’d been charging people regular price all day, not aware of the daily special. I won’t step foot in there any more, and it’s a shame, I’ve gone there for decades.

I think that Bessingers is Thomas’s family, Melvin runs the others in town with the exception of College Park Road...Joe Bessinger started that one to handover to his son before he died. And the one on Ashley Phosphate is (or was) Robert Bessinger’s.

If I had a choice of Bessingers to eat at it would still be Maurice’s, haven’t been there in a few years so I don’t know if it’s changed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    I saw Bessinger's on Exotic Foods last night and they were putting "cole slaw on the BBQ sandwiches"? Is this the norm now with sandwiches as you see it more and more on BBQ Shows around the South & Southwest? I like mine without, but I could understand the "different strokes for different folks thing here"???
    I used to have some in-laws from NC and Virginia who insisted on doing that.

It isn’t bad, I’ll do it once in a blue moon (especially with bacon blue cheese cole slaw) but I prefer the slaw on the side.

I think the "Great Chef Emeril" voted "Melvin's BBQ" on Mt. Pleasant with the BEST CHEESEBURGER IN THE USA maybe 10 years ago. I had one there about 6 years ago and it was very good, but I would not say it was the best that I have ever had. Anyone else tried this cheeseburger at Melvin's???

It’s a good cheeseburger. Best in the USA? That’s debatable. It’s a ........cheeseburger, it isn’t rocket science.

I can make one as good or better at home.

Only problem I’ve had at Melvin’s James Island is undercooked meat, probably 3-4 times. One time I didn’t notice until I was over half done, wound up sick.