Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surround Sound Systems

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

Quote Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
    Are you happy with the Polk CSi A6 as your center speaker? I'm in the process of building my sound system. I got two Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers for my fronts as a birthday gift and picked up a Marantz NR1609 receiver. I'm building my system piece-meal so I can spend more money on each speaker rather than having one budget for everything. I'm currently trying to find a nice center speaker to pair well with my fronts.

I also see in a later post that you recommended AVSForums. I asked this same question over there a week or so ago. They all recommended going with a Polk center speaker to pair with my fronts, but this one guy said that there's nothing wrong with mixing speakers and that Polk center speakers didn't have good reputations so I'm still researching. Sigh.
    You should timbre match your L/C/R, while it is possible to do while mixing and matching brands, it takes a lot of knowledge and time. Your best bet is to buy the best center in that Polk lineup.

2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar

Are you happy with the Polk CSi A6 as your center speaker? I'm in the process of building my sound system. I got two Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers for my fronts as a birthday gift and picked up a Marantz NR1609 receiver. I'm building my system piece-meal so I can spend more money on each speaker rather than having one budget for everything. I'm currently trying to find a nice center speaker to pair well with my fronts.

I also see in a later post that you recommended AVSForums. I asked this same question over there a week or so ago. They all recommended going with a Polk center speaker to pair with my fronts, but this one guy said that there's nothing wrong with mixing speakers and that Polk center speakers didn't have good reputations so I'm still researching. Sigh.
    Ya, I really like it, it's very powerful. Polk is a very good upper-middle tier brand. Avsforum is a good place to do research but a lot of the guys over there are hardcore audiophiles and have much higher expectations and much bigger wallets than me. Polk does get a little flak from the purists for their use of middle-grade electronics particularly their crossovers. Their speakers also tend to be a tad bright/have heightened treble response.

Having said all that I haven't heard anything from my Polk setup that bothered me. Regarding the A6 center it has a lot power, vocals are very clear and strong. It also has impressive bass response which really helps fill in the middle of the sound field during action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
    Ya, I really like it, it's very powerful. Polk is a very good upper-middle tier brand. Avsforum is a good place to do research but a lot of the guys over there are hardcore audiophiles and have much higher expectations and much bigger wallets than me. Polk does get a little flak from the purists for their use of middle-grade electronics particularly their crossovers. Their speakers also tend to be a tad bright/have heightened treble response.

Having said all that I haven't heard anything from my Polk setup that bothered me. Regarding the A6 center it has a lot power, vocals are very clear and strong. It also has impressive bass response which really helps fill in the middle of the sound field during action movies.
    That sounds good to me. It makes me feel better hearing from someone that actually owns a Polk center speaker. I haven't had a surround sound system since my early 20s (I'm pushing 40 now), and I forgot how much I love good audio.
    Quote from a Clemson fan on T.net: "they act as bad now as they did when tannyhill was their qb."

2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar

That sounds good to me. It makes me feel better hearing from someone that actually owns a Polk center speaker. I haven't had a surround sound system since my early 20s (I'm pushing 40 now), and I forgot how much I love good audio.
    I think you'll like it. Also it's pretty massive, the online pics don't do it justice.

Name:  IMG_20190718_093157.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  142.3 KB