Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Surround Sound Systems

  1. #1
    Go Cocks! ShutTheSuccop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    15,071

    Default Surround Sound Systems

    So my wife and I are in the midst of renovating our kitchen/family room and I have the opportunity to put in a surround sound system while all the wires are pulled apart...

    so my question is that I am looking for recommendations...I am not an audiophile by any means so I have no clue what is a good system and what is garbage...

    do most people use wired or wireless systems?
    Are there brands that are better than others?


    Thanks for any insight/recommendations

  2. #2
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    It depends what you want. If you are happy with a soundbar and a wireless "subwoofer" then any major brand your find at Bestbuy should be fine. Sonos also makes some good easy wireless systems.

    If you want a real surround sound set up, wired is the only way to go. If you have a budget and or idea of what format you want (atmos vs 5.1 etc) I would be happy to help you narrow it down some more. Personally I think this is the better way to go, you get much better sound and you can do it for a reasonable budget.

    Also, how big is the room? is it an open floor plan? (makes a big difference when you start looking at subwoofers)
    Last edited by carolina_corpsman; 07-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Spring Game MVP 86 GradCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    I like my Bose 5.1 system. A bit old school, but so am I. Great surround and ambient sound along with strong bass that doesn't overpower but kicks in when called for. I have two sound bars on other TV's, one with a separate wireless sub, and I don't get the sound from them like I do the Bose system.

  4. #4
    2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,720

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    So my wife and I are in the midst of renovating our kitchen/family room and I have the opportunity to put in a surround sound system while all the wires are pulled apart...

    so my question is that I am looking for recommendations...I am not an audiophile by any means so I have no clue what is a good system and what is garbage...

    do most people use wired or wireless systems?
    Are there brands that are better than others?


    Thanks for any insight/recommendations
    What kind of budget are you working with? Do you need an AVR(Receiver)? Do you have room for full tower or do you want smaller speakers? Would you be mounting rear or side surround speakers to the ceiling?

    There are a ton of options out there at various price points. My system is probably way overkill for what most people on here would need but I'll list it as a reference for mid-high end.

    AVR - Yamaha RX-A1050(7.2.2) - Currently setup as 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos
    Front - Polk RTi A7 Towers
    Center - Polk CSi A6
    Rear Surround - Polk FXi A6
    Ceiling Atmos - Micca M-8C
    Sub - SVS PB12-NSD (going to add a PB-2000 soon to even out the bass)

    All of that will run you around $2800-$3500 depending on what sales you can find. Accessories4less.com is a great place to find a Receiver.

  5. #5
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
    What kind of budget are you working with? Do you need an AVR(Receiver)? Do you have room for full tower or do you want smaller speakers? Would you be mounting rear or side surround speakers to the ceiling?

    There are a ton of options out there at various price points. My system is probably way overkill for what most people on here would need but I'll list it as a reference for mid-high end.

    AVR - Yamaha RX-A1050(7.2.2) - Currently setup as 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos
    Front - Polk RTi A7 Towers
    Center - Polk CSi A6
    Rear Surround - Polk FXi A6
    Ceiling Atmos - Micca M-8C
    Sub - SVS PB12-NSD (going to add a PB-2000 soon to even out the bass)

    All of that will run you around $2800-$3500 depending on what sales you can find. Accessories4less.com is a great place to find a Receiver.
    Nice set up... have you looked at HSU subs? For the price I think they offer a pretty solid product.

  6. #6
    2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,720

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    Nice set up... have you looked at HSU subs? For the price I think they offer a pretty solid product.
    Ya I like them too. I got the SVS on a holiday blowout for $500 instead of the normal $800 a couple years ago. I'll probably stick with SVS just to keep the timbre matched but HSU make really good stuff.

  7. #7
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
    Ya I like them too. I got the SVS on a holiday blowout for $500 instead of the normal $800 a couple years ago. I'll probably stick with SVS just to keep the timbre matched but HSU make really good stuff.

    I think I'm going to go the DIY route for my next upgrade. (If I can convince the wife to let me put a full marty in the room lol)

  8. #8
    Go Cocks! ShutTheSuccop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    15,071

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    so it is in on open room that is like 15-20 feet wide and 30-40 feet long that is open onto a kitchen that is maybe 15 by 20. The ceiling is probably 15 feet high with angled ceilings starting about 9 feet up and angling up to a flap ceiling at top. The TV will be mounted in one of the corners above a new fireplace. I have the ability to mount speakers anywhere and as far as budget goes...I don't even know what is reasonable so I hate to say that there is no budget but I am willing to spend if it is something that will last. Our builder asked us last night if and where we wanted speakers and I had not even begun to think about it!

  9. #9
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    so it is in on open room that is like 15-20 feet wide and 30-40 feet long that is open onto a kitchen that is maybe 15 by 20. The ceiling is probably 15 feet high with angled ceilings starting about 9 feet up and angling up to a flap ceiling at top. The TV will be mounted in one of the corners above a new fireplace. I have the ability to mount speakers anywhere and as far as budget goes...I don't even know what is reasonable so I hate to say that there is no budget but I am willing to spend if it is something that will last. Our builder asked us last night if and where we wanted speakers and I had not even begun to think about it!
    That's a big room, if you want real deep bass you are going to need a big sub or two. If you are wanting to wall mount your speakers I am assuming you are wanting something that is flush or almost flush to the walls. Triad and Golden Ear make some REALLY nice speakers that would sound great and last forever. If you price them out and decide that it is more than you want to spend Def Tech makes some nice stuff I believe KEF also makes some good on wall speakers. If you don't want in wall speakers, Polk, Kef, Klipsch (some of them) Deftech, RSL, SVS, Ascend, Aperion (I own the Intimus series for my fronts) and Focal (my personal favorite speaker company) are all good brands and can range from sort of expensive to very, very, expensive.

    As for the receiver, look on accessories4less you can get a pretty solid deal. If you are going to have the walls open, I would go ahead and have them pull wires for 7.1.4 (you don't have to use them all now but it's a lot easier to do it now and not use it then decide you want it and have to rip out drywall) so get a receiver that can handle that many channels.

    For subs, I'd look at HSU and SVS. With a big open room you are going to want some big (12"+) drivers moving a lot of air.

  10. #10
    2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,720

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Something like this is a good place to start for a receiver https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

    All of the speakers corpsman mentioned are quality products. Do your best to buy the same brand/series for all the speakers. The sound field will be much more consistent if they are timbre matched. Depending on placement I would go with something like the SVS PC-2000 or PB-2000 for your subwoofer, a pair of these would also work well http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html. Like corpsman said you're going to want 2 large subs for a room that big to get any kind of real bass response on movies. If you want a good system that is going to last I would start with a rough budget of $3500-$5000. Start with choosing your AVR, then your front and center channel speakers, then subs. Surround speakers don't really matter that much provided they're decent quality but the front 3 and your sub are really where you want to spend some money. For movies the center channel is often overlooked and a good one vs an ok one will show a huge difference.

    Alot also depends on your listening position. Most surround setups past 5.1 require you to be dead center in the room with several speakers behind you. If you're going to be sitting more towards the back of the room I'd stick with a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 setup since you won't get much benefit from side surrounds. You can also get angled Bi-Polar speakers to use as dual side/rear surrounds. The side surround effect would come out one side and the rear from the other.

    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html


    The guys over at AVSforum are really helpful also https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
    Last edited by ultimatetailgater; 07-10-2019 at 04:41 PM.

  11. #11
    Two Deep Mechanical Cock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    I love my sonos but for large rooms i dont know. My living room is pretty big and the sonos sub/playbar/play 1s x2 sound great but you cant add more than 1 sub.
    Married to a former UGA cheerleader...no matter what happens I still feel like I get the upper hand...GO COCKS!!!

  12. #12
    Household Name FurmanCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mills River, NC
    Posts
    5,136

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    I'm a pretty big Definitive Technology guy for my sound system. As you know, you can add price quickly with home audio. I think this company offers a great value for components. You can start with something relatively reasonable like their ProCinema line and customize/upgrade at a later date if you are happy.

    https://www.definitivetechnology.com...ocinema-series
    Bison

  13. #13
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    I'm a pretty big Definitive Technology guy for my sound system. As you know, you can add price quickly with home audio. I think this company offers a great value for components. You can start with something relatively reasonable like their ProCinema line and customize/upgrade at a later date if you are happy.

    https://www.definitivetechnology.com...ocinema-series
    Def Tech makes some really good speakers especially for home theater. They like a lot of power and the Bipole towers (BP 10's) and wall speakers take a bit of room for proper positioning but they really are a great option for a media room/theater.

    Fun fact, two of the founders of Definitive Technology also started Golden Ear Technology. While I think the Golden Ear speakers sound a bit better, they are also a bit more expensive. Both are solid choices.

  14. #14
    Go Cocks! ShutTheSuccop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    15,071

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    any thoughts on wiring? Brands etc?

  15. #15
    2nd Team All-SEC ultimatetailgater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,720

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    any thoughts on wiring? Brands etc?
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

    something like that in 14 or 16 gauge will be fine for any runs 50ft or less. I used the 16 gauge for mine and I've never noticed an issue even at really high volumes.

  16. #16
    Household Name FurmanCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mills River, NC
    Posts
    5,136

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    I wholeheartedly agree with monoprice. Anything related to wiring or cables (and assorted other electronic doodads), monoprice is the place to buy.
    Bison

  17. #17
    Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    18,681

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Third the Monoprice recommendation.

  18. #18
    Milk Duds CurryStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    2,092

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Delete
    Quote from a Clemson fan on T.net: "they act as bad now as they did when tannyhill was their qb."

  19. #19
    Milk Duds CurryStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sumter
    Posts
    2,092

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
    What kind of budget are you working with? Do you need an AVR(Receiver)? Do you have room for full tower or do you want smaller speakers? Would you be mounting rear or side surround speakers to the ceiling?

    There are a ton of options out there at various price points. My system is probably way overkill for what most people on here would need but I'll list it as a reference for mid-high end.

    AVR - Yamaha RX-A1050(7.2.2) - Currently setup as 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos
    Front - Polk RTi A7 Towers
    Center - Polk CSi A6
    Rear Surround - Polk FXi A6
    Ceiling Atmos - Micca M-8C
    Sub - SVS PB12-NSD (going to add a PB-2000 soon to even out the bass)

    All of that will run you around $2800-$3500 depending on what sales you can find. Accessories4less.com is a great place to find a Receiver.
    Are you happy with the Polk CSi A6 as your center speaker? I'm in the process of building my sound system. I got two Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers for my fronts as a birthday gift and picked up a Marantz NR1609 receiver. I'm building my system piece-meal so I can spend more money on each speaker rather than having one budget for everything. I'm currently trying to find a nice center speaker to pair well with my fronts.

    I also see in a later post that you recommended AVSForums. I asked this same question over there a week or so ago. They all recommended going with a Polk center speaker to pair with my fronts, but this one guy said that there's nothing wrong with mixing speakers and that Polk center speakers didn't have good reputations so I'm still researching. Sigh.
    Quote from a Clemson fan on T.net: "they act as bad now as they did when tannyhill was their qb."

  20. #20
    Go Cocks! ShutTheSuccop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    15,071

    Default Re: Surround Sound Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

    something like that in 14 or 16 gauge will be fine for any runs 50ft or less. I used the 16 gauge for mine and I've never noticed an issue even at really high volumes.
    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with monoprice. Anything related to wiring or cables (and assorted other electronic doodads), monoprice is the place to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    Third the Monoprice recommendation.

    Awesome...I ordered the 14 gauge! Thanks for the recommendation

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •