Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6-6 prediction

Default Re: 6-6 prediction

Quote Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
    I think we will get an upset win, possibly two, but we always drop a game to someone we shouldn't.
    Seems with Will Muschamp, those things are much more predictable. That's why 6-6 seems on the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    Seems with Will Muschamp, those things are much more predictable. That's why 6-6 seems on the mark.
    Yeah because that never happened under Spurrier. We never upset Bama and then lost to bad Kentucky in a season...smfh

Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    I just went and watched this recap of their game. Their QB's look awful but makes sense why they wanted Bryant. I know it is hard to judge from a couple clips, but I didn't see any impressive OL or DL players. They just seem physically underwhelming. I really think we should be able to physically over match them.
    Theyve never been a physical team since their NFL d line left several years ago. They do return several offensive weapons though. Most people are going to be high on them due to their incredibly easy schedule. If they beat WVU and SC at home, they seriously might be 7-0 going to UGA. Their west opponents are Ole Miss and @Arkansas. They also get UF and UT at home. Iím jealous.

This is a South Carolina football thing - Navy 1984, Kentucky 2010, Tennessee 2013, and so on. And to be honest with you, Muschamp has beaten for the most part the teams he's supposed to. Kentucky 2017, Florida 2018 and the Belk Bowl are the only ones really that we lost that we "shouldn't have." The others we were in hindsight given too much hype or we were straight up out matched because the other team had more talent/depth.
    University of South Carolina '19

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
    Wins: North Carolina, Charleston Southern, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, App State
    Loses: Alabama, Missouri, Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson
    Wins: North Carolina, Charleston Southern,Kentucky,Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Appalachin State
    Losses: Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson

This scenario gives us an 8-4 record. Then throw in the unknown of we win one we shouldn't and also lose one we shouldn't.... so they wash each other out.
    So that's my prediction ....win a bowl game and we're 9-4...not too shabby

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CocksRgood View Post
    Wins: North Carolina, Charleston Southern,Kentucky,Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Appalachin State
    Losses: Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson

This scenario gives us an 8-4 record. Then throw in the unknown of we win one we shouldn't and also lose one we shouldn't.... so they wash each other out.
    So that's my prediction ....win a bowl game and we're 9-4...not too shabby
    I'l take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Yeah because that never happened under Spurrier. We never upset Bama and then lost to bad Kentucky in a season...smfh
    28-0

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

I just went and watched this recap of their game. Their QB's look awful but makes sense why they wanted Bryant. I know it is hard to judge from a couple clips, but I didn't see any impressive OL or DL players. They just seem physically underwhelming. I really think we should be able to physically over match them.
    Without a doubt.

UT scares me bc they are stocking up on athletes. I think we can beat them this year but this game will get progressively harder each year.

I don't know why but I have a feeling that Missouri is the head-scratching loss this year
    University of South Carolina '19

28-0
    You must have not been a fan when spurrier lost to Iowa in a bowl in 2009. Down 31-0 going into the 4th with an O that looked pathetic. It was not even as close as this year’s bowl even if the final school was 31-10 after some late junk points. So, again, making this a new thing or a Muschamp thing just shows a lack of history or intentional intellectual dishonesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    Without a doubt.

UT scares me bc they are stocking up on athletes. I think we can beat them this year but this game will get progressively harder each year.
    I agree somewhat but their OC hire makes me think they may struggle and get Pruitt fired. He is the OC version of Florida’s DC Grantham. They seem to get overhyped for what their field production shows.

You must have not been a fan when spurrier lost to Iowa in a bowl in 2009. Down 31-0 going into the 4th with an O that looked pathetic. It was not even as close as this yearís bowl even if the final school was 31-10 after some late junk points. So, again, making this a new thing or a Muschamp thing just shows a lack of history or intentional intellectual dishonesty.
    What does what Spurrier did 9 years ago have to do with today? Seems you just want to piss....

What does what Spurrier did 9 years ago have to do with today? Seems you just want to piss....
    Because you complained as if losing games we shouldn’t was new, then brought up uva like that was a first or didn’t happen under spurrier. I’m just giving you facts since you’re the one whining as if this is a new thing for USC football.

Because you complained as if losing games we shouldnít was new, then brought up uva like that was a first or didnít happen under spurrier. Iím just giving you facts since youíre the one whining as if this is a new thing for USC football.
    28-0 is fact, not complaining. Until Muschamp shows he can win the winnable games and maybe some that aren't, 6-6 is a reasonable prediction. If that gets under your skin, then deal with it.

8+ wins and keeping Clem$on from going to the playoffs. Light finally fully comes on for Jake Bentley.

28-0 is fact, not complaining. Until Muschamp shows he can win the winnable games and maybe some that aren't, 6-6 is a reasonable prediction. If that gets under your skin, then deal with it.
    I’m not bothered just think it’s funny you are so bitter about Muschamp hire 3-4 years later that you can’t comprehend this isn’t a new USC problem.

Pissing contests aren't entertaining even if you are each trying to piss on the other's favorite coach. Use PM or stay on topic, please.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

In 2017, we went 9-4, but it is pretty rare for any Power 5 program to win 9+ games, and still end up outside of the final top 25 polls, which we did. That was because despite the successful season, our strength of schedule was weak. We played UGA and Clemson, who both played in the CFP, and didn't do too badly against them. We beat Michigan in the bowl game. But the rest of the schedule was pretty bad, and most online sites had our final SOS barely inside of the national top 50, if even inside of it.

Last season (2018), our SOS was much better, and we finished ranked in the top 15 nationally for most sources. We went 7-6, but had several close losses. Our defense struggled all season with poor rush defense and injury attrition. There were three games USC lost that might have gone differently had the team executed better:

At Kentucky: they beat us in Lexington 24-10, but 21 of those points all came in the 2nd Quarter. Our run defense struggled against their RB-QB rush options with Snell, Wilson, and Rose, giving up nearly 200 yds and 3 TDs. UK couldn't hurt us much via the pass, but Bentley played poorly with 3 INTs, the last one that killed a good offensive drive. We had one more 1st down than UK did, and only 6 fewer total offensive yards, but between 3 INTs and 1 fumble to UK's 1 total turnover, and several hurtful special teams penalties that kept UK in strong field positioning and us in poor positioning, and finally our defense unable to stop their run game, that 2nd Qtr. was all UK needed.

Texas A&M: they beat us in Williams-Brice 26-23 - they out-scored us 13-0 in the first half, we out-scored them 23-13 in the 2nd. TAMU out-gained us 458-299 - the average yds per play was 5.9 them to 5.6 us, which is fairly even, but this game our poor defense wasn't able to stop them either on the ground or through the air, and they had 77 offensive plays to our 53. We only had 2 turnovers (A&M had 0), but they were pretty painful: Edwards fumbled away a punt return in the 1st half that would have had us starting that possession in excellent field positioning, and Bentley threw his INT into the Aggie endzone after we had 1st and Goal at the Aggie 5-yd line. Both turnovers were in the 1st half and kept USC from cutting into the 13-0 Aggie lead, and considering we ultimately lost the game by 3 points, they were very huge game-deciding turnovers.

At Florida: they beat us in Gainesville 35-31. USC held a 31-14 lead at the 4:41 minute mark of the 3rd Qtr. Again, this was a case of average yds per play being fairly even for both teams, but Florida had 528 total yds to USC's 386 due to our defense not being able to stop the Gators from running the ball and moving the chains, and staying on the field. Florida ran 83 plays to our 64, and ultimately wore our defense down, to where towards the end of the game they could do with us as they pleased.

For 2019, our defense has to play better - especially against the run - and our offense has to reduce the turnovers. Had we had our 2017 run defense, IMO we could have turned 2 of those 3 losses into wins, and could have equaled our 2017 win total of 9 games, playing a much tougher schedule. Going 9-4 in 2017 looked good, but going 9-4 in 2018 would have had us finish the season in the top 25, even with the loss to UVA in the bowl. We could have even gone 3-0 in those 3 games, instead of 2-1.

So, unless we have another rash of injuries for 2019, or there aren't any improvements or corrections to the above issues, IMO we should do better than go 6-6 in 2019. Our schedule from 2018 is only different due to one single opponent: Alabama. Adding Alabama to our schedule should NOT make an impact of 2-3 games difference, especially if our team improves from last season as all teams are expected to, and we don't have heavy injuries again. Every other program (Tennessee, Missouri, Florida, Vanderbilt) gets to improve from last season due to experience and maturity, but we're supposed to sit still or even get worse, because our injured players all heal and return to us? It doesn't make much sense, and only served to have the entire fanbase not have any excitement or positive feelings for the season, all because of one single opponent that we're 3-3 against over the last 6 games that we've played them....
    Last edited by ConwayGamecock; 07-16-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
    8+ wins and keeping Clem$on from going to the playoffs. Light finally fully comes on for Jake Bentley.
    To me that would be the most successful season since 2013 and would mean that Muschamp can fulfill his promise as our head coach.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
    If the light fully comes on for Bentley then we are looking at 9+ wins. That would mean we finally beat one of the "big boys" we've been struggling with: UGA, TAMU, Clem