Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL BE THE STUD RB THIS YEAR

Default WHO WILL BE THE STUD RB THIS YEAR

I know that we still have a long ways to go before the season starts, but does anyway think that our coaching staff has pretty much decided on who the "main running back will be" along with the RB who will designated as our #2 RB for the game per what our RB Coach has stated since he got here - "that he wants two guys that want to play and two that he can count on". I also realize that injuries and playing a long, grueling season in the SEC will wear down just about anyone and where does it leave our remaining RB's to fall into place. What say the Gamecock Nation?

Default Re: WHO WILL BE THE STUD RB THIS YEAR

A lot will depend on if Feaster transfers, and how quick he picks things up.

I think until that’s settled it’s safe to say Rico/Mon will likely be #1/2, with AJ/Fenwick mixing in carries. Is Valentine 100% now?

Personally I think the biggest wildcard is Harris. Very strong guy (probably the strongest RB on the team), I’m interested in seeing what he can do. I think he can be a workhorse, move the chains type of guy. Possibly a guy you put in late with a lead and let his fresh legs pound on a defense.

I think in game 1 and 2 it's Dowdle/Denson. Against Alabama, it's the best outside threat with swings, and wheels. Running inside against them is a problem. They play to hurt, and will go after Dowdle and Denson. I'd guess AJ and maybe Valentine. After Alabama, whoever isn't hurt or banged-up should be the big dog until Georgia. I think we will fight to be balanced against the Dawgs and may go with Denson, Dowdle, and Fenwick. Valentine is a wildcard again. After Georgia, I think we are back to Dowdle/Denson or Denson/Dowdle with AJ, Fenwick, and Valentine likely getting chances. Against Clemson, I think we go air heavy but maybe attack the front seven inside if they've shown any vulnerability during the season. With injuries all bets are off. Last 3 games, I think Harris gets carries unless he's played before. With our schedule we will need to rest and recuperate backs.

We have a stud running back?

Feaster will hopefully otherwise we don't have one.

I was the white shadow. cockymac's Avatar

No one. Dowdle will get most carries, Feaster the next most, then Turner, Denson, Fenwick then Harris. It will be more of a by committee approach.

Stud? Lol

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

This might be a hot take but if we do not have a transfer, and Dowdle doesn’t become a 1,000 yard rusher on the season, i will look at Dowdle’s time here as disappointing from a standpoint of him not living up to his potential.

I believe he has the skill of an SEC RB but he has not been consistent running the ball or being able to stay in the game over the course of a few back to back games. I think his abilities to act as a safety valve/check down option in the passing game has also been subpar.

And I say this as a big fan of Dowdle...i keep waiting for him to live up to his potential.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
    This might be a hot take but if we do not have a transfer, and Dowdle doesn’t become a 1,000 yard rusher on the season, i will look at Dowdle’s time here as disappointing from a standpoint of him not living up to his potential.

I believe he has the skill of an SEC RB but he has not been consistent running the ball or being able to stay in the game over the course of a few back to back games. I think his abilities to act as a safety valve/check down option in the passing game has also been subpar.

And I say this as a big fan of Dowdle...i keep waiting for him to live up to his potential.
    I think that is right. Players can't help being hurt, but I, too, have hated seeing him missing chances.

Every year, I count what I see are the strengths of each back, and see things each can contribute. Once in a long while we get one with a rounded set of skills (power, speed, elusiveness, pass catching, ball security, pass blocking, pad-level sense, run finishing, and durability). Lattimore started with or developed all of these (except elite speed) early, but had a horrible set of injuries. Add leadership and unselfish attitude, and we were blessed to the point of spoiled. We've had to get what we needed from whoever could contribute and wasn't injured. I think pure studliness will come from Harris, but he has to be brought along, with Lloyd coming on stage soon.
    Last edited by Goofyboy; 07-12-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Feaster
    GO COCKS!!!

Each back, in my view, offers a different set of attributes. I've only seen what's public, and don't know what they show in practice.
    Dowdle runs with good power, has decent speed, can cut really well, and seems to have good vision for holes. I think his pad level at contact could improve, his ball security is suspect, and his concentration as a pass-catcher is low. Pass blocking needs to improve.

Denson has good power, surprising speed, good ball security, and the grittiness to stick out adversity. Good vision and cutting have not been evident to me. I haven't noticed his pass blocking at all.

AJ Turner is my favorite Gamecock. He's got toughness, surprising power, and good speed. He catches well, and sees running lanes, but doesn't seem very elusive. His ball security is very good. He pass blocks pretty well. He takes good angles to finish a run. I think everything he does is limited only by the size of his body but enhanced by the size of his heart. He's a great teammate and a good leader.

I've not seen Fenwick enough to know much, but I did notice in the spring game more desire and power than I had seen in short snippets from earlier play. He's considered a power runner from high school.

Harris, whose lower body says "power" and whose upper body says "smash" seems to be a trucker who can break tackles and get tough yards. His stoning at the goal-line by Boykins (another freshman) this spring seemed to me to reveal a need to learn pad level and finishing angles. No worries for me - the step up to this level takes time, study, experience and good coaching. A good dose of Lattimore film might be a key to getting those elements.

We will have to see if Valentine is a track guy who plays football or a real running back who can scoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
    Each back, in my view, offers a different set of attributes. I've only seen what's public, and don't know what they show in practice.
    Dowdle runs with good power, has decent speed, can cut really well, and seems to have good vision for holes. I think his pad level at contact could improve, his ball security is suspect, and his concentration as a pass-catcher is low. Pass blocking needs to improve.

Denson has good power, surprising speed, good ball security, and the grittiness to stick out adversity. Good vision and cutting have not been evident to me. I haven't noticed his pass blocking at all.

AJ Turner is my favorite Gamecock. He's got toughness, surprising power, and good speed. He catches well, and sees running lanes, but doesn't seem very elusive. His ball security is very good. He pass blocks pretty well. He takes good angles to finish a run. I think everything he does is limited only by the size of his body but enhanced by the size of his heart. He's a great teammate and a good leader.

I've not seen Fenwick enough to know much, but I did notice in the spring game more desire and power than I had seen in short snippets from earlier play. He's considered a power runner from high school.

Harris, whose lower body says "power" and whose upper body says "smash" seems to be a trucker who can break tackles and get tough yards. His stoning at the goal-line by Boykins (another freshman) this spring seemed to me to reveal a need to learn pad level and finishing angles. No worries for me - the step up to this level takes time, study, experience and good coaching. A good dose of Lattimore film might be a key to getting those elements.

We will have to see if Valentine is a track guy who plays football or a real running back who can scoot.

You make some very good points here. The SEC Gauntlet that all running backs have to endure through the 8 games that each team must play does take it toll on even the best of RB's. That being said, I think the "Stud Running Back" would be the guy that we have had in the past that gets his "butt handed to him on a certain play and you don't see him holding his hand up and wanting to come out of the game". The few great ones we have had in the past have used these moments to get back up and demand the ball again to show the defense that he has come to play all 4 quarters. I fully understand a knee injury or another type of injury that can put you out of the game (ankle, hamstring, etc), but it seems as the main ones we have now get a good hit on them and come out or look to come out. Big George would give out as much punishment as he got and granted this type of runner only comes along about every 20 years, but that's why Big George won the Heisman Trophy, because he was a "STUD" and so was Marcus Lattimore who had the terrible misfortune to get both knees hurt while becoming one of the best RB's in college football at the time. I hope that one of our guys will listen to our new RB Coach and want to become that type of player. We do have some potential great talent at this position, but they have to want it as badly as we want it for them. Duce Staley was this type of RB that came to USC as a receiver and turned into one heckuva RB and later played in the NFL. If these guys have the dream of ever playing at the next level (hopefully they all do), then they must step up and be all that they can be. I think over the course of the season we will have to have two or three really step up and take it to the next level which will also improve our passing game at the same time.

Hopefully it's their coach. Stud coach=stud players.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Feaster/Dowdle should make a good combo.

Lloyd will be an upgrade next year and we really need Tank too.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Feaster/Harris. I think that Harris is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Both Harris and Feaster can give bruising runs on the inside, and Feaster is a speed demon threat to the outside. That could be an exciting duo to watch if we can land Feaster.

My assessment dims significantly if we can't land Feaster... Turner/Harris would be my choice.

Harris, barring injury is the best we have on the team right now. Feaster would be great to have as well, but nothing is set in stone with him yet. They would be a very nice compliment to each other. Turner, Dowdle, and Denson have some promise, but have to prove their longevity for a season.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Dowdle has proven to be the best his entire career, when he was healthy to give 100%. He's healthy right now, apparently, so he's again the man until he's injured again. And he's been injury prone despite having a career average of 10-11 carries per game that he's actually played in. Hopefully he'll have a full senior season that is a career year for him, and he finally gets his 1,000 season....

I mean, we've had guys that could have been stud runningbacks if we would ever have a stud offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
    I mean, we've had guys that could have been stud runningbacks if we would ever have a stud offensive line.
    While our OL has had its issues, our RB’s have had problems seeing and reacting to running lanes. Too many guys stuffed at the LOS because they didn’t hit the hole, it made the OL at times look worse than it was.

Vision and reaction are God given talents. Lattimore would’ve ran for a lot of yards with our last few OL’s.

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

A stud rob would likely have to average 90 or more yards per game and play in at least 12 games in my opinion.

that is very hard for most backs to do.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.