Thread: BBQ RUBS & SAUCES

Default BBQ RUBS & SAUCES

To everyone out there that cooks/grills/smokes their own meats (pork butts, ribs, brisket-etc), do you prefer to make your own rubs and sauces are do you do like I do and purchase mine? The reason that I mainly purchase different types of BBQ Sauces is because my family and friends all prefer different types. As far as the rubs go, I buy some from time to time, but I also use my own spices to make it taste like I want it to versus someone's recipe from another state that might have too much of a spicy kick to it or maybe just a tad bit more bite to it as I would prefer as sometimes the rub can overpower the taste of the meat and the taste of the meat should be what you shoot for.

BBQ Minds Need To Hear This!

Default Re: BBQ RUBS & SAUCES

It depends on what I'm doing. For chicken or pork chops, I might grab a premade rub from the store. I haven't really found one that is all that great, but none of them have been bad either.

For Barbecue though, I make my own.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread....=1#post1309890
    ----------------------------------------------

Easier and cheaper to make my own rub, plus I can customize the ingredients as needed.

At times for beef I simply use coarse salt and pepper. Other times I’ll make it like I do for pork or chicken.

Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, red pepper flakes, oregano. I’ll substitute thyme for oregano if I’m doing chicken.

Sauce, I’ll use a couple. Usually buy commercial mustard base sauce, if I want a dark sauce it’ll be a variety of Sweet Baby Rays. I’ve experimented with making vinegar sauces, and have made a couple of varities of white sauce for chicken.

I heard "Johnny Triggs - The Godfather of Ribs" state that he has tried a lot of rubs himself over his many years, but eventually found out that there were as good or better rubs to be purchased if you knew what you were looking for. Coming from him that does make a lot of sense. As far as the sauces go, in our state people like so many different types of sauces that it would be hard to not have several different types on hand if you are cooking for a large crowd. I am more of a ketchup taste man myself, but I can see why people like the many other types out there. I think it all has to do with where you raised up at and how you first started eating BBQ.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

I have been making my own. Had good results.

I have made them but usually buy several and will work on some combination of rubs. I tend to buy a ton of rubs and seasonings and alaways seem to have plenty on hand to mix up. I like Stubbs sauces from the store but have plenty of those too. Most times I will let others sauce ribs themselves after cooked or just before finished and I eat them dry. Malcom Reed sells some great rubs and I follow his directions for chicken wings and thighs almost exclusively now.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    Easier and cheaper to make my own rub, plus I can customize the ingredients as needed.

At times for beef I simply use coarse salt and pepper. Other times I値l make it like I do for pork or chicken.

Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, red pepper flakes, oregano. I値l substitute thyme for oregano if I知 doing chicken.

Sauce, I値l use a couple. Usually buy commercial mustard base sauce, if I want a dark sauce it値l be a variety of Sweet Baby Rays. I致e experimented with making vinegar sauces, and have made a couple of varities of white sauce for chicken.

I have not made the "white sauce" yet, but I am seeing it on a lot of BBQ Cooking Shows that are restaurants. Big Bob Gibson's, out of Decatur, AL was one of the first to start using and making this "white sauce" and you can order on line from his store. I had thought about doing that to see just how good his product was as their BBQ Restaurant is considered one of the best in the nation.

As I watch a lot of the BBQ Cooking Shows on TV, I am amazed at how many Pit Masters either use a lot of rub on a certain types of meat, while at the same time another Pit Master will only use "salt/pepper/garlic"???? It seems that most of the Pit Masters from Louisianan or Texas really put the extra spices to their meats, while Pit Masters from Tenn, NC, SC, GA are not into the spicy rubs - unless they are in a cooking contest out west. I guess this all goes back to where you grew up and what your taste buds prefer???

Www.wassis.com
    they are all good with ,y favorites being the everything rub and maple bourbon

I am seeing a lot of "brown sugar and regular sugar" being added to rubs in a lot of Pit Master contests. I have used brown sugar and molasses on my ribs "per the Johnny Triggs Recipe", but after seeing all of these serious competitors doing it now I think I might try it from time to time to just see what a difference it makes. Then on the other hand - there are Pit Masters that only use Salt & Pepper and maybe a mop bath on their butts or large pieces of pork. One older Pit Master did not use any seasonings at all and he claimed his "pits had become some seasoned over his many years of cooking that he did not need to add anything else??? He must be right as people were lining up to get into his restaurant in either Memphis or Nashville, TN.

Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar

I have an old family recipe for sauce, everyone loves it, so it is the go too. As for rubs I make my own, finding out simpler is usually better.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Www.wassis.com
    they are all good with ,y favorites being the everything rub and maple bourbon
    Yeah, they are one of my local joints. Every Saturday they cook some stuff on the BGE and give it away. Here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/wassis.meats/
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk