Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Finnbaum - Blames South Carolina

Default Paul Finnbaum - Blames South Carolina

I was watching the Paul Finnbaum show yesterday and there were a lot of Clem&Son fans calling in to talk about how they dominate the SEC and are every bit as good. One caller told Paul F that Clem&Son owned the state and dominated their SEC Rival - USC. Paul Finnbaum agreed with the caller and then went on to say; "That USC beat Clem&Son for 5 years in a row and then for whatever reasons allowed the whole thing to fall apart and allowed Clem&Son turn into the monster team that they are today". Mr. Finnbaum was basically putting all the blame on USC for Clem&Son getting to the level that they are at now. Granted that they have owned us for the last 5 years, but it is a lot deeper than to just say that USC allowed this to happen. I would like to think that Clem&Son Coaching Staff has had a lot to do with recruiting their butts off and coaching them up to a standard that they can compete at the highest level of football today. I also think that playing in the ACC does give the comfort of playing weak teams week in and week out, although they do play a pretty good outside conference schedule too. I give them credit for what they have accomplished and the way that they have recruited and put together a very good coaching staff, but if they did have to play Georgia, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and a few other SEC Teams each year that injuries would stack up against them and they would lose two or three games a year. What say the Gamecock Nation on Mr. Pawl Finnbauam's statement?

Default Re: Paul Finnbaum - Blames South Carolina

Clemson certainly has brought themselves to the top of the college football world. They recruited their ass off and there's no denying that. However, it was also kind of a perfect storm. Virginia Tech fell off, Georgia Tech wasn't as strong as they were in the mid to late 2000s and Florida State obviously imploded. Those were the only true threats they've ever had in the ACC. Plus you add in the mess we had when Spurrier left. Not to say that Clemson doesn't deserve praise from the national media for getting 2 of the last 3, but they definitely benefited from USC and the ACC being down for a few years when they made their jump.
    University of South Carolina '19

I think the guys on Locked on the Gamecocks said it best when they said Finebaum doesn’t want to throw Spurrier under the bus for anything. I love the HBC and all he accomplished, but let’s face it. He wasted those 11-2 years. Wasted them.

I was the white shadow. cockymac's Avatar

The biggest surprise here is that you watch Paul. My God, he's the most boring person on the planet. I'd rather have a proctology exam from a lobster than listen to him. He only allows the idiot callers because he thinks that's a good schtick. Then, he has no personality. If I had to watch or listen to that show everyday, I'd blow my brains out.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
    I think the guys on Locked on the Gamecocks said it best when they said Finebaum doesn’t want to throw Spurrier under the bus for anything. I love the HBC and all he accomplished, but let’s face it. He wasted those 11-2 years. Wasted them.
    Wasted 3 good years? Maybe we should have let the taters win a few so they wouldn't have been so mad.

Spurrier is to blame for the rise of Clemson. He (and his staff) let things fall apart, Clemson fans wouldn't have stood for them continuing to lose to us no matter how badly they beat the little sisters of the poor in the ACC.

Clemson has been beating Bama almost as much as us lately. Throw in TA&M and Auburn into the mix and they have beaten the SEC West more time than us in the last 3 years i think.
    Married to a former UGA cheerleader...no matter what happens I still feel like I get the upper hand...GO COCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    Wasted 3 good years? Maybe we should have let the taters win a few so they wouldn't have been so mad.
    Yeah, wasted that success by not winning the east in any of those years or following up with solid recruiting. Those years should have turned into multiple top 10 classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    Best run in school history but we also underachieved. I'm not complaining about those years and Spurrier, but it's a fact that we could have (and probably should have) won at least 1 SEC title. That's the one gripe about Spurrier both at USC and UF - there's one game a year where he gets out coached. With the success that he's had, it's crazy that he only won 1 NC.

Don’t think Paul payed attention to Clemson until their first championship run in 2015. Their rise can be traced back to 2011. It wasn’t like we were beating them when they were 5-7,6-6. It was a top 15 matchup those last three years we beat them.

We we all know what happened with recruiting. They kept recruiting elite talent and we didn’t. But another thing to me that’s kept Clemson at the top is having continuity of the coaching staff. While we were enjoying all those wins, we were losing really good assistant coaches like Shane Beamer, Jay Graham and Brad Lawing and turned out the new hires were a downgrade.

Dabo has always found a way to overcome and beat the odds to survive and be successful throughout his life.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...109-story.html

He came from absolute poverty and so do a lot of the players he recruits.

It's a combination of being a Christian and having the right personality to deal with the hard realities of life.

It's very rare for an interim to win the HC's spot, but he was able to beat the odds and do that.

Having said that, he would have been gone if there was 6-peat loss to us after the WVU bowl blow-out. He made the right hire for his DC and survived the loss of Chad Morris. Brad Scott was a failure as HC here, but is still a great recruiter. He is retired from recruiting, but still has a role up there.

His goals were to have a winning season first and beat us along the way if he could, then go after Bama, just like the 1993 Bama team that he was on took down The U.

Your success in life is determined by how you handle adversity.

You have to have goals but his Christian humility is the glue that holds his staff and players together in a profession that can be very cut-throat.

Rivalry trash-talking aside, Dabo's going to be successful in whatever he does. All Clemson has to do is avoid beating themselves to be successful and that's something that us and a lot of other teams haven't been very good at up to this point.

There are more moving parts in football than basketball, and therefore more areas to fail in. Clemson succeeds enough across the board as a team such that it can still win if one or two parts aren't getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
    I think the guys on Locked on the Gamecocks said it best when they said Finebaum doesnít want to throw Spurrier under the bus for anything. I love the HBC and all he accomplished, but letís face it. He wasted those 11-2 years. Wasted them.
    I agree with this, we had national championship potential those years. Iím more upset we missed on guys like Mike Williams from Vance SC. Williams was a key contributor in their 2016 title and wouldíve been a Gamecock if Spurrier didnít half ass his recruitment. Also had a decent shot at landing Nick Chubb but Spurrier wasnít present on Chubbís unofficial and was rumored to be at the golf course. Honestly I havenít paid much attention this offseason because it seems inevitable that Moo U will win another title and TL will either win or finish second for the heisman. Iíve honestly spent more time with family and doing things I love instead of listening to the offseason hype. Iím kind of in ďprove it on the fieldĒ mode with Boom and football is less fun knowing our bitter rivals UGA and Clemson are on top. **** Finebaum

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Ostarrine is a hell of a drug!

Quote Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
    The biggest surprise here is that you watch Paul. My God, he's the most boring person on the planet. I'd rather have a proctology exam from a lobster than listen to him. He only allows the idiot callers because he thinks that's a good schtick. Then, he has no personality. If I had to watch or listen to that show everyday, I'd blow my brains out.
    Not a whole lot going on at this present time as far as college football and the main reason I watched him that day was because Tim Brando was going to be on and give his Top Ten. It also helps to "Keep Your Friends Close - But Keep Your Finnbaum's Closer"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Dabo has always found a way to overcome and beat the odds to survive and be successful throughout his life.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...109-story.html

He came from absolute poverty and so do a lot of the players he recruits.

It's a combination of being a Christian and having the right personality to deal with the hard realities of life.

It's very rare for an interim to win the HC's spot, but he was able to beat the odds and do that.

Having said that, he would have been gone if there was 6-peat loss to us after the WVU bowl blow-out. He made the right hire for his DC and survived the loss of Chad Morris. Brad Scott was a failure as HC here, but is still a great recruiter. He is retired from recruiting, but still has a role up there.

His goals were to have a winning season first and beat us along the way if he could, then go after Bama, just like the 1993 Bama team that he was on took down The U.

Your success in life is determined by how you handle adversity.

You have to have goals but his Christian humility is the glue that holds his staff and players together in a profession that can be very cut-throat.

Rivalry trash-talking aside, Dabo's going to be successful in whatever he does. All Clemson has to do is avoid beating themselves to be successful and that's something that us and a lot of other teams haven't been very good at up to this point.

There are more moving parts in football than basketball, and therefore more areas to fail in. Clemson succeeds enough across the board as a team such that it can still win if one or two parts aren't getting it done.
    It's interesting your take on Dabo. I was in Panama City Beach several years ago and spoke with one of his former players when Dabo was at Alabama and this young guy ask me "what I thought of Dabo" and I ask him the same question before answering him and he said quote: "that Dabo was the biggest hypocrite when it came to being a normal human being. He said that Dabo played up the Christian part, but if you got to know him well - that Dabo was just the opposite of what he portrays to the public"! After hearing this young man say this and a couple of other things that I won't mention, I was at a loss to say anything about Dabo because I don't know the man personally. I just thought it was very odd that one of his former players had a lot of negative stuff to say about him - if he was all that he claims to be?

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    It's interesting your take on Dabo. I was in Panama City Beach several years ago and spoke with one of his former players when Dabo was at Alabama and this young guy ask me "what I thought of Dabo" and I ask him the same question before answering him and he said quote: "that Dabo was the biggest hypocrite when it came to being a normal human being. He said that Dabo played up the Christian part, but if you got to know him well - that Dabo was just the opposite of what he portrays to the public"! After hearing this young man say this and a couple of other things that I won't mention, I was at a loss to say anything about Dabo because I don't know the man personally. I just thought it was very odd that one of his former players had a lot of negative stuff to say about him - if he was all that he claims to be?
    Dabo sounds just like his mentor, Bear Bryant. Media thinks they can do no wrong, meanwhile the reality is they are terrible people.

I've heard rumors of some former players saying this but nothing ever for sure. It honestly doesn't surprise me. It blows my mind when people think that Dabo is really as holy as he acts and that he and Clemson can do no wrong now.

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

**** Finebaum

**** Dabo

and most important... **** tater tech
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

I was watching the Paul Finnbaum show yesterday and there were a lot of Clem&Son fans calling in to talk about how they dominate the SEC and are every bit as good. One caller told Paul F that Clem&Son owned the state and dominated their SEC Rival - USC. Paul Finnbaum agreed with the caller and then went on to say; "That USC beat Clem&Son for 5 years in a row and then for whatever reasons allowed the whole thing to fall apart and allowed Clem&Son turn into the monster team that they are today". Mr. Finnbaum was basically putting all the blame on USC for Clem&Son getting to the level that they are at now. Granted that they have owned us for the last 5 years, but it is a lot deeper than to just say that USC allowed this to happen. I would like to think that Clem&Son Coaching Staff has had a lot to do with recruiting their butts off and coaching them up to a standard that they can compete at the highest level of football today. I also think that playing in the ACC does give the comfort of playing weak teams week in and week out, although they do play a pretty good outside conference schedule too. I give them credit for what they have accomplished and the way that they have recruited and put together a very good coaching staff, but if they did have to play Georgia, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and a few other SEC Teams each year that injuries would stack up against them and they would lose two or three games a year. What say the Gamecock Nation on Mr. Pawl Finnbauam's statement?

Bout time for Clemson to return the favor to us then...

The truth, however, is that Clemson retained competent coaches (and let the other coaches go) by paying them as top tier coaches (while also recruiting their kids) and went out and got good lines of scrimmage to go with the skill position players they were already bringing in. They understand that you need excellent lines, players willing to stay and develop in the program, the right playcallers, great facilities, and some unethical/questional tactics both on and off the field to unseat the perennial football powerhouses.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

Playing basically nobody week after week sure as hell has something to do with it. Being in a shitty conference really does help. So much for strength of schedule counting for something.