Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prediction Thread

Default 2019 Prediction Thread

(n) UNC - They've won 5 games the last 2 years ... total. I realize they have a new coach and he's going to save the day, and they're going to win the National Championship because he's there now, but it's not happening over night. I think we come out quick and are in the driver seat this whole game. These guys are going to make people forget about the UVA game. - W

vs Charleston Southern - This is one of those games where it's their Super Bowl, but it's "just a game" for us. You can see Bama on the schedule the next week and either go to work or you can not care and limp through it. I'm hoping this team turns the corner this year, and if they do, we should take care of business and get some guys game experience. - W

vs Alabama - I don't know that we're ready for this climb just yet. I feel like we should have the horses now that we should be able to compete. When you're able to compete, anything can happen. We have them at home in the dead heat of the afternoon. While it's hot in Alabama and they'll be used to practicing in it. The longer we're able to keep the game close, and the longer they're having to stay in the sun on that sideline/and on the field, it will wear on them. The goal is going to be to keep it close and keep making them work. - L

@ Missouri - They start the year off with Wyoming, WV, and Southeast Missouri so saying they should be fresh for this game is an understatement. Luckily for us, we usually get them in the first half of the season and then they turn into monsters the 2nd half of the season. They've lost 1 game the last 2 seasons in the 2nd half of the year, and that was by 1 point to Kentucky. After his 10th season of eligibility, Drew Lock is finally gone, but Kelly Bryant is there now. We seem to have their number, but this will be the first true road game. I feel like we now have the talent, depth, and leadership that this may be a close game, but we pull ahead. - W

vs Kentucky - We shouldn't have lost to them the last 3 years, and now that they've lost everything on Offense, it'll be time to right this ship. They keep proving me wrong, but I just don't see how they keep the streak alive this season. They've continuously recruited at the bottom of the conference, and while we haven't been at the top, we have brought in talent that has been forced to see playing time. - W

BYE - We could be 4-1 and 2-1 in conference which would have us first in the East (nobody else will have played that many conference games yet). At this point in the season, we control how far we can go.

@ Georgia - Their schedule around us is really interesting. Both them and Tenn have BYE weeks leading up to their game on our BYE week, and then we face them before Kentucky comes in and then they get another BYE week. While I don't think they'll have much of a problem with Tenn or Kentucky, back to back weeks playing opponents coming off of BYE weeks is tough. We're going to not only be able to spend 2 weeks prepping for them (although the staff says they don't), but we'll also be able to see what Tenn's staff saw and implemented with their 2 weeks to prepare. I go right back to the Alabama game and say that we should be able to compete here, but I believe it's going to come down to whether this team can handle the pressure and if they truly are ready to be "champions". They listened to all of the hype last year, and the second Dowdle let that ball go through his fingers and UGA took it to the house, that game and the season was over. I believe this is the "easiest" of the big 3 games of the season, and we'll learn a lot about this team in this game. - Toss Up

vs Florida - While we will be coming off of the Georgia game and probably bruised a bit. Florida will be coming off of Auburn and going to LSU the week before our game, which will be their 7th week without a break (which they will get the week after our game). This is another game that we literally handed away. I will still never understand why we tried to just run the ball straight up the gut 3 straight times and punted it on 3 straight drives, but after that we were done. Last season for Florida was like our 2017 season. They got a bunch of bounces go their way that led to multiple victories. They really don't play anybody (Miami, Kentucky, and Tenn are the hardest games) until the stretch of Auburn, LSU, and us, so they could have a pretty good record going into that. I haven't been impressed with them in years, and I'm not sold on Dan Mullen. - W

@ Tennessee - They have Florida, BYE week, Georgia, Miss St, and Alabama before us. They haven't been good, they're not going to be good, and I'm blown away by anyone that's calling this a loss in their previews. There is absolutely nothing you can point towards that says this is a loss. It's on the road and the last 3 years that we've beaten them it's been close, but I'm more worried about Missouri than I am Tenn. - W

vs Vanderbilt - This should be a light day, but you just never know with Vanderbilt. One week they're Vandy, but the next they like to show up and spoil things. If we're in the position that we could be in, this is a game that you make a statement in. - W

vs App State - They're going to be a lot better than we're going to feel comfortable with, but we should be at the talent level now that we should be able to turn it on when we need to, to win this game. I hope it doesn't come to that and we're able to pull away a bit, but they're going to come to play. - W

@ Texas A&M - This is the team that we just can't seem to get over the hump against. They haven't been world beaters, and we typically haven't shot ourselves in the foot against them ... we just can't beat them. I think this game will be the deciding factor in us playing in Atlanta or in 2nd-3rd in the division. It's on the road and they have a BYE the week before and UTSA the week before that. Everything about this game is shaping up to go against us. - Toss Up

BYE - We could be sitting at 10-1 or 9-2 (7-1 or 6-2 con) with a chance to go play in Atlanta for the conference title, or we could be 8-3 or 7-4 if we hand something away and playing for a Peach Bowl/Outback Bowl bid.

vs Clemson - They play nobody and have a BYE the week before they come to our house. If we're having a good to great season, this game is going to be rocking. They've lost a TON on Defense, but I just don't see anyone on their schedule that baring a flop of a game by Clemson should even challenge them. Worst case scenario they have 1 loss and a victory against us would put them in. Similar to the Alabama game, I'm not sure we have the horses across the board for this one yet. I think they're recruiting talent is higher than ours, but they have a lot of inexperience/lost NFL talent that had them at the elite level. I think last year, in their house, we said "we're not scared of you anymore" and I think we'll compete in this game. I will never predict a loss in a rivalry game, but I don't think we end their run this year. - PL

Obviously best case scenario is undefeated, most realistic best case scenario is looking like 10-2 and SEC East Champs. Worst case scenario (baring if our entire team to decimated by unforeseen injuries) 7-5 and middle of the division. We have an extremely tough schedule, but until the last 2 games, I think we're catching a lot of teams at a good time. A lot of them are coming off of really tough stretches when we're not coming off our hardest games. Our schedule is very tough throughout the entire season, but the peaks are spread out for us in a way that I think could benefit us. Our BYE weeks are also in very crucial places.

The key factors to have the great season ...
    Turn over differential - it doesn't have to be where it was 2 years ago, but it can't be what it was last year. We have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot on Offense (this includes drops that may not be turnovers, but end drives just the same). The Defense now with more depth should be able to be a little more aggressive, which I hope will turn to more turnovers in our favor.

Red Zone Offense - even through all of the under/over throws, dropped passes, runs straight into the backs of Olinemen, and ghosts tripping guys in the wide open field we actually had a really good Offense that moved the ball well at times. We have to figure the red zone out. We can't get down to the 10, throw 3 lob passes to the back of the endzone, and then kick a FG. Hopefully Harris' size will come into play here or maybe a package using Joyner's mobility, but when we get down there we have to get 7.

Running Game - I'm just beating a dead horse here, but if I didn't say it somebody would call me out on it.

Health - When we're healthy, I believe we can compete with anyone. We do have better quality depth now, but no team can be at the top of the league with the number of injuries we had last season. If we stay healthy, I believe we can compete at a higher level than we have in a while.

My prediction - I think it's somewhere in the middle. I think more towards 9-3 or 8-4 at worse will probably be where we'll land. I could see a situation where we knock off maybe Georgia but drop at Missouri, Florida, or aTm. In the SEC anybody can beat anybody, so some of those Ws could have one of those games that it just clicks for them. Depending on how other teams play against each other that could be good enough to get us to Atlanta, but at least a finish in the top 2 in the division. I think this season isn't make or break for Coach Muschamp, but I think it is very crucial in the growth and determining if they're just going to be a very good staff or something special at South Carolina.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Default Re: 2019 Prediction Thread

Good write up and I agree with your overall assessment and how you predict the games to go.

You say you don’t understand the TN hype but I don’t understand the Missouri hype. Missouri isn’t very talented and is replacing maybe their best QB ever who wasn’t even good. TN is recruiting at a high level and I think they are the tougher team to beat.

Turnover margin for sure has to increase and I think it will with our d line getting after it and a more talented secondary.

As for the red zone, we have this really fast player named Joyner who could be a real weapon. We’d be stupid not to include him in the game plan, even situationally this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    Good write up and I agree with your overall assessment and how you predict the games to go.

You say you don’t understand the TN hype but I don’t understand the Missouri hype. Missouri isn’t very talented and is replacing maybe their best QB ever who wasn’t even good. TN is recruiting at a high level and I think they are the tougher team to beat.

Turnover margin for sure has to increase and I think it will with our d line getting after it and a more talented secondary.

As for the red zone, we have this really fast player named Joyner who could be a real weapon. We’d be stupid not to include him in the game plan, even situationally this season.
    TN is recruiting at a high level now, but those guys aren't on the field and the ones that will see the field won't have any experience. Maybe the next couple of seasons, but not yet. As for Missouri, they just seem to be steadily good. Never world beaters, but just really good teams. Bryant's mobility is the concern for me. We historically don't contain mobile QBs that well, so I think he could hurt us a bit.

As for Joyner, I 100% agree. I'm not one of those people that think he should be the starter blah blah blah, but I do believe he gives us a special skill set that we need to use a few times a game. He gives us trick play options as well as just lining up under center. I don't care if it is old school or not, I'd love to see a triple option run with him at QB down in the red zone.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

North Carolina: They have been terrible lately and have a new coach. I think Mack will turn them into a solid team, but not in 2019. They don't have the talent to match up and we finally get to redeem the nightmare that was the bowl game in the exact same venue. W

Charleston Southern: I don't see this one being close after the first quarter. Charleston Southern is an FCS team and doesn't have the horses to keep up. It'll be hot as hell and the backups will get some playing time in the third and fourth quarter. Essentially a tune up game for Alabama. W

Alabama: I'm sure we will pull out all the stops for this one to try and replicate 2010. It's already at 3:30 pm on CBS. You can bet on us wearing the same uniform combo as we did in 2010, and there's a good chance they have Stephen Garcia or Marcus Lattimore be the celebrity starter. However, the similarities between the two games will start and end there. Alabama is just too good and this could be one of the best offenses under Saban. I wouldn't be shocked if it's close in the first half, but Bama will pull away by the end of the 3rd. It's not a blowout, but it's never in doubt either. L

@ Missouri: This is our first biggest test of the season. We have Missouri's number as of late, but they have a lot of question marks over the field. I don't think their defense will be that great, but they brought in Kelly Bryant and still have a few decent receivers. Missouri is always a tricky team to play and it's at their place. You might as well flip a coin. I have it as a loss at this point since it's on the road, but I can easily be convinced otherwise. L

Kentucky: We all know the story. Losing to them five times in a row is unacceptable. An upset every so often is one thing, but losing that many to a program like Kentucky should not happen. Fortunately, they lost two of their best players from probably their best season ever. Mark Stoops is a good coach who will have them fired up, but Muschamp knows that he has to win this one. It'll be tight until the second half where we pull away and end the embarrassing skid against the Wildcats. W

@ Georgia: Another tough game on the road in the SEC. They obviously embarrassed us last year at home and they are still just as loaded. Jake Fromm is one of the best QB's in the SEC, and there's not a whole lot of weaknesses at any of their positions. Of all the "Big 3" this might be the most winnable, but I don't see it happening this year. L

Florida: This will be a huge game. Back at home after a bye week and a road game and against a team that the Gamecocks gave the victory to last year. Florida had a surprise year last year and their QB played well the last month of the season. However, I'm not completely sold on them yet. Their QB is inconsistent and they lost a lot at the LOS. Dan Mullen is a good coach and will have them ready, but I'm not completely buying into the hype. They will be good but not Top 10 good like the projections say. This is another toss up game that could really go either way. They will be in the middle of a stretch that includes Auburn, LSU, SC and Georgia. Add in the fact that it's in Columbia, and I'll give us a slight edge. W

@ Tennessee: No matter how good or bad either team is, this is always a tight game. Ever since 2012, the final score has been a one possession game and both teams have had both good and bad teams during that time period. Also, Knoxville is never an easy place to play. I think Pruitt will be a good coach, but they are a year or two away from being a true threat in the SEC East. I expect a "closer than it should be" game bc it's at Neyland, but the Gamecocks pull out a nail biter. Also, Muschamp stays undefeated vs the Vols. W

Vanderbilt: Back at home at Williams-Brice and having the opportunity to clinch bowl eligibility, the Gamecocks take on the Commodores. Vandy is another team that never seems to go away. They have some SEC talent, but not enough to pull this one off in Columbia. Eventually, the Gamecocks will do enough to secure a comfortable win and bowl eligibility in front of the home crowd. W

App State: They are never easy. Everyone knows about Michigan, and they took Penn State to the wire last year. However, they have a new coach since their previous one accepted a job at Louisville. They are no pushover and have the talent to make this game interesting. They will put up a fight, but in the end the Gamecock continue their hot streak and pull out a win against a tough squad. W

@ Texas A&M: A tough road game against a team that South Carolina just can't figure out. Ever since getting embarrassed in 2014, the Gamecocks have given the Aggies a tough game, especially the last two years. Like SC, Texas A&M has a tough schedule against some of the best teams in the country. I still think Jimbo is a year away for them to challenge for the SEC West. However, I will put this game down as a loss until South Carolina proves they can beat A&M. A pretty evenly matched team, but Kyle Field is a hostile environment and the Gamecocks can't seem to catch a break against the Aggies recently. L

Clemson: You hate to say it, but Clemson has been one of the best teams in the country. No one can touch them in the ACC and have been a College Football Playoff staple the past few years. Last year, Bentley and the Gamecock offense exposed their secondary, scoring 35 points in a loss. The Gamecocks will be fired up as this is probably a night game at Williams-Brice. Anything can happen in a rivalry, but Clemson looks to have too much this year, especially on offense. It will be closer than the last time Clemson played to Columbia, but not enough to pull of the upset of the year. L

That puts the Gamecocks at 7-5 - good enough for a Music City Bowl or Liberty Bowl type bid for the postseason. Florida and Missouri could really go either way, but I went with the home teams in each one. 8-4 with a win over Missouri and Florida is possible, but I went conservative given the schedule and the question marks surrounding both of them and us. 7-5 would be a solid season and would keep the momentum going. 8 wins isn't out of the question, but I'll stick with 7 for now. Either result would be a success.
    University of South Carolina '19

I agree with cack

Nice.

UNC- win
    CSU-win
    Bama-win
    Mizzou-should win
    UK-win
    UGA-Loss
    FL-win
    UT-should win
    Vandy-win
    App-win
    A&M-win
    Clemson-toss up

I upped my best case to 11-1. I think we probably end up with 9 wins though.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

USC needs to go 3-1 against UF, UT, UM, and aTm (3 of these are road games). That is going to be the narrative for the season.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

15-0 Natty.
    "Don't ask me to cook the dinner, and not let me shop for the groceries." - Will Muschamp

Until they prove that they "really" have a running game then I have to say 7-5 at best. Carolina ranked 91st in rushing in 2018, 111 in 2017 and 108 in 2016. What did they add to make them so much better this year?

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
    Until they prove that they "really" have a running game then I have to say 7-5 at best. Carolina ranked 91st in rushing in 2018, 111 in 2017 and 108 in 2016. What did they add to make them so much better this year?
    Well, its not official yet but they are anticipating adding an experienced back to the roster that may have more talent than anyone currently on it. Also the most talented back on the current roster is supposedly finally healthy for the time being and has shown that he can be very good. We also added an actual RB coach with a proven track record who isn't going to use 3-4 different backs a game. Then there is the other 50% of the playbook that was not installed last season. I think an argument can be made that our interior line (Stanley, Gwyn, Manos) is better than what we had last season w/ Zack Bailey.

So there are some changes that have happened. Will they be good enough to improve our statistics? Who knows.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

This would be awesome! Although, if this were to happen the Florida game would really piss me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3jDGot3tA

I was the white shadow. cockymac's Avatar

I have no idea what we are going to look like - for the first time in years. We should be better than last year, but then I remember that we were shut out for the last 6 quarters of the season, and think, jeez, maybe if we are better it still won't be that good. Our defense stunk towards the end of the year. Florida figured out that you could run all over us, and everyone else did the same thing. We had a ton of injuries, so was it because of that? I don't know. One thing is for sure - we have a lot of freshmen that need to be ready to play from day one, or we'll be hurting. At least 3 in the secondary , Pickens, both LBs, maybe Anderson, a WR, and maybe Harris at RB.

I find this may be the hardest season to predict in a long time. I just hope we finish in the Top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    I just hope we finish in the Top 25.
    Gonna have to win at least 8 games to have a shot at this.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    Gonna have to win at least 8 games to have a shot at this.
    ....and the bowl game.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

I agree with the OP prediction. Alabama is a tough addition to the schedule, but Kentucky should be a weaker opponent this season with huge losses on both offense and especially defense, Missouri is being hyped up more due to their easy schedule than the caliber of their team (like we're being talked down more for our schedule than our team's talent), but they are 0-3 against us with what was called by their fanbase up to last season as being their best QB EVER. They will go to Bryant now who had really only one single season of quality at Clemson, then was passed over by a freshman. Bryant is a legit dual threat QB - Lock was a pro-style passer who exceeded Bryant's best single-season offensive numbers in 2017, each of Lock's final 3 years at Missouri. Bryant does get that easy schedule that should make him feel as if he's still in the ACC, but there's going to be a learning curve for both him and his offense post-Lock.

Tennessee still has huge questions regarding their defense (as do we), and also their OL. Our own defense was hobbled last season - we only sacked Guarantano twice last year, both by Wonnum in his brief return to the field before being shut down for good - but sacked him 7 times in Knoxville in 2017. They still have huge issues with their OL, while I'm expecting our own defensive pressure on opposing backfields to take a sizable step forward this season.

Florida left a bad taste in Gamecock Nation's mouth, that only got washed out by the pure sewerage that was the Belk Bowl. This game will be in Williams-Brice: hopefully again, our run defense will perform better.

The only thing I disagree with Cack on his predictions is about Texas A&M - he said we typically don't shoot ourselves in the foot against them, but we did last season, with the only two turnovers from both teams coming in the first half where we were out-scored 13-0. Those turnovers were both in Aggie territory - one at the goal line - that cost us points in a game we would eventually lose 26-23. This season's game however will be in College Station, and I fully expect this game to be a very tough game to pull out for us.

But everyone knows our biggest issues for 2019: maintain player health, improve on run defense especially, total defense overall, and reduce turnovers on offense. Those last two issues cost us 2-3 games last season, and if we can improve, with several of our opponents having transition seasons from last season, I can definitely see a 2-3 win improvement over 2018, even with Alabama on the schedule.....

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Good points, Conway. Everyone talked about the "killer schedule" a couple of years ago, but by the end of the year everyone was saying that our success was due to our opponents not being as good as advertised. And the won't be this year either.

Was our defensive collapse last year due to injuries? Well, Boom has been a wonderful defensive coach throughout his career. In his first 2 1/2 years, our Defense was solid - not good, but solid - and it collapsed last year when we ran out of healthy players. That is not a coincidence - Boom did not suddenly forget how to coach Defense.

The injured guys are back and Boom is continuing to build on that side through recruiting. I expect the Defense to be better than the first 2 1/2 years, and miles ahead of the last half year.

As for the schedule, Mizzou (Lock > Bryant) and UK will not be as good, and UF/UT are over-rated - neither Franks or Guarantano will suddenly become top QBs. You can even make the argument that Clemson will not be as good, at least on D where they lost the strength of their team, the D Line. Not that the D looked that good against us ayway.

And we have both Clemson and Alabama at home. I think it will be a special year.

I see a lot of Garnet Glasses in these posts. I can't seem to find mine. I pry for 15-0. I hope for 9-3. I expect 7-5. Sorry I just can't see it this year. But 35 years ago, I did not see the " Black Magic" season coming. I hope I am WRONG AGAIN.

I only see 5 wins ... maybe 6. The absolute best would be 7. But the following year could be a big season.

UNC
    CSU
    UK
    Vandy
    App State

I don't see us beating Mizzo or UT at their place even if we have more talent. We will also lose to A&M, UGA, Bama and Clemson.

Florida is the maybe.

If we could beat Florida at home and beat either Mizzo or UT on the road that would be 7. We absolutely have to avoid the home loss to UK. I would call that a very successful season given the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I only see 5 wins ... maybe 6. The absolute best would be 7. But the following year could be a big season.

UNC
    CSU
    UK
    Vandy
    App State

I don't see us beating Mizzo or UT at their place even if we have more talent. We will also lose to A&M, UGA, Bama and Clemson.

Florida is the maybe.

If we could beat Florida at home and beat either Mizzo or UT on the road that would be 7. We absolutely have to avoid the home loss to UK. I would call that a very successful season given the schedule.
    Too much doom and gloom here. We can win more games than this as long as the right JB shows up. Our defense will be much improved(barring injuries of course). I can easily see 9+ wins for us, watch and see.