Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Prediction Thread

Default Re: 2019 Prediction Thread

I let you know after the first game.....I kind of like being picked 4th in the East a few years ago when we were picked 1st it didn't work out so well....those preseason prognosticators are always wrong

We will beat GA...take that to the bank buddy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySpur View Post
    We will beat GA...take that to the bank buddy!!!
    Yep....glad to see Chub and Michel gone...and no proven receivers

Quote Originally Posted by CocksRgood View Post
    Yep....glad to see Chub and Michel gone...and no proven receivers
    Now, that’s the kind of attitude we need here. I personally think at GA is our hardest game. They are as talented as anyone on paper. We beat them in Athens, the sky’s the limit for wins this season.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    Well, its not official yet but they are anticipating adding an experienced back to the roster that may have more talent than anyone currently on it. Also the most talented back on the current roster is supposedly finally healthy for the time being and has shown that he can be very good. We also added an actual RB coach with a proven track record who isn't going to use 3-4 different backs a game. Then there is the other 50% of the playbook that was not installed last season. I think an argument can be made that our interior line (Stanley, Gwyn, Manos) is better than what we had last season w/ Zack Bailey.

So there are some changes that have happened. Will they be good enough to improve our statistics? Who knows.
    Turnover margin is the biggest statistic that has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    Turnover margin is the biggest statistic that has to change.
    Muschamp mentioned that.

UNC - W - they have not recruited at our level the last several years and they likely will be starting a true freshman QB. I cannot find a spot on the field where we dont have the matchup advantage.

CSU - W - They wont be drinking the same juice Citadel was that day.

Bama - L - we keep it close early and end up falling by 14 - 17 points. They have more depth and returning starters and talent than we have, it would take a slew of breaks and good fortune to win this one, but its not out of the question.

at Mizzou - L - That crazy stat about teams losing the week after they play Alabama isnt just a random stat. That bama game will be physical and if we get out of that game without any major injuries I would be happy. If this game was at home, I'd have to give us the W, but I wouldnt be shocked if Jake and offense have a great day up there and we find a way to get it done.

Kentucky - W - All streaks end, and this one wont go past 5 years. They lost the large majority of their defense, especially in the secondary and the DE that was a stud. Jake and the receivers should have a good night at WIlly B. That Kentucky offense wont look the same without Snell, and their QB was far and away the worst in the conference last year. Stop their run and shut them down please, 6th try is a charm.

at UGA - L - We have not matched up well with these guys at all since 2014. They have been more physical than us up front and like Bama they have plenty of depth. We lose a tight game down there, but its going to be one of those games where we could have won hopefully gives us some momentum.

Florida - W - We should have beat these guys last year, but with our 3rd string defense on the field we wore down. Again with the matchups, we match up very well with Florida, especially our receivers vs their secondary. That fluke play last year cost us the game.....wont happen this year.

at Tennessee - W - Muschamp has their number, dont really have a rhyme to the reason but Jake finds a way to get it done at the end in maybe our game of the year.

Vandy - W - We are more talented than Vandy and we get them at home. They lost the QB, and they lost the RB Blossomgame. We have found a way to get it done in Champ's first 3 years, make it 4.

App state - W - Give us the win, after the scare in the first half. Pesky dudes, theyre probably better than UNC too....

at Texas A&M - W - Champ's signature road win, they are ripe for the picking. They lost 7 starters on defense, and they lost a chunk of that Oline. Would be nice if we could finally run the ball on these guys. Keeping Mond hymned up will be a chore, and winning at the place is just tough, but again we match up well with these guys.

Clemson - L - Tight game, we give them another good run, but until I see different they are going to be scary good on offense. Defensively they will be bringing the heat much like they did in 2017 after they lost the d-line 7 of 8 2 deep. Keep jake protected and you never know.

8-4 would be a super great year. 7-5 would be a really good run, and is more likely since we probably split the TAM and Tenn road games. If we cant beat Florida or Kentucky at home we have to hold our breath for 6-6.

We're due for some good fortune and hopefully avoid some injuries. This would be a good year for it. Go Cocks.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.

UNC- win
    CSU-win
    Bama-loss
    Mizzou-win
    UK-win
    UGA-win
    FL-win
    UT-loss
    Vandy-win
    App-win
    A&M-loss
    Clemson-loss

Record 8-4 SEC 5-3 SECe 2nd
    We start off great. 6-1 only loss to Bama who we keep close with for 3 quarters. We actually upset Georgia on the road and even follow it up against Florida the next week at home. Then Tennesse has their game where they play way over their heads and we are bit banged up and they get us. Injuries start to pile up too much again. We win ugly games vs Vandy and App State then play decent against A&M and Clemson but can't beat them. One of those fast starts then run out of gas at the end seasons.

In case you haven’t noticed Lake-city, UNC is sitting right outside the top 10 for their 2020 class — a spot I don’t think they’ve been in since the moneybags were getting tossed around .

Anywho — as I said on the old boards — if we’re able to go .500 it’d be a win. I honestly don’t see anything better than 2 games over .500 and that’s a STRRRRRRRRRETCH. Hoping for the best tho .

I think this is a tough team to forecast wins - especially with the schedule.

this team does have less “cancers” as some have left on their own and Coach asked a couple to leave. We will be improved on defense for sure and the offense SHOULD be as good or better depending on JB reducing turnovers and if we can run the ball. Rico would be a better RB if he’d eat better, take care of himself and stop smoking. Word is that Feaster will be a Gamecock and that could help. If Feaster comes in Denson will probs transfer.

so a lot of questions on offense really. Not as set as one would think. But if pieces come together I could see 8 wins including a bowl win. It could be a special team if we can get a surprise win in the schedule and avoid losing to KY or App.

i’m thinking we are a year away. 6-6 is my call but I hope I’m wrong and we go 11-1 with the lone loss coming to Bama or GA.
    Flying the Gamecock Flag from the mountains of North Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
    Too much doom and gloom here. We can win more games than this as long as the right JB shows up. Our defense will be much improved(barring injuries of course). I can easily see 9+ wins for us, watch and see.
    I can see 9 wins as a possibility - however slim it might be.

I guess I'm too jaded because I have been a fan too long. I've heard the glowing predictions and rah-rah stuff over and over again. I even remember Dietzel talking about SC entering the "Golden Years" of football in the early 70s. The only time it happened was briefly under Carlen, briefly under Morrison and then Spurrier. 2009-2013 was the longest run but it even fell apart.

So I approach the season with lowered expectations. That way, if I am wrong and we beat UGA or Bama or Clemson I can get really excited.

Quote Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
    I think this is a tough team to forecast wins - especially with the schedule.

this team does have less “cancers” as some have left on their own and Coach asked a couple to leave. We will be improved on defense for sure and the offense SHOULD be as good or better depending on JB reducing turnovers and if we can run the ball. Rico would be a better RB if he’d eat better, take care of himself and stop smoking. Word is that Feaster will be a Gamecock and that could help. If Feaster comes in Denson will probs transfer.

so a lot of questions on offense really. Not as set as one would think. But if pieces come together I could see 8 wins including a bowl win. It could be a special team if we can get a surprise win in the schedule and avoid losing to KY or App.

i’m thinking we are a year away. 6-6 is my call but I hope I’m wrong and we go 11-1 with the lone loss coming to Bama or GA.
    I think that's a good assessment. Not sure about Rico smoking ...

If Feaster comes in Denson will probs transfer.
    Why would he leave as a 5th year senior?

You just mentioned some of Rico’s issues. Add in the number of times he gets banged up we potentially have Feaster and Mon 1/2 at RB.

You need depth at RB because of wear and tear. There’ll be plenty of carries for Mon. I understand Feaster leaving Clemson to get playing time, but Mon has a different situation.

If Feaster comes in Denson will probs transfer.
    It is way too late in the game for anyone to transfer and play this season.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Cockalorum View Post
    In case you haven’t noticed Lake-city, UNC is sitting right outside the top 10 for their 2020 class — a spot I don’t think they’ve been in since the moneybags were getting tossed around .

Anywho — as I said on the old boards — if we’re able to go .500 it’d be a win. I honestly don’t see anything better than 2 games over .500 and that’s a STRRRRRRRRRETCH. Hoping for the best tho .

Well fortunately for us those 2020 recruits will not be on the field playing South Carolina this year, so not sure what your point is.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockalorum View Post

UNCarolina is #15 in 247, but just due to quantity (21 recruits). Based on player average rating, they would be #24. We are #19 in the rankings and are also #19 in player average, so we are out-recruiting them.

Again, the schedule is not that tough once you get past the Big Three, and we play 2 of the 3 every year. If we are improved - and we should be - we can win every game outside of the Big Three, and those are not automatic losses either. We have Clemson and Alabama at home, and Clemson showed that Alabama can be beat, and we showed that Clemson's Defense is not all that. And that was Clemson having an NFL D Line that is now gone. If we did not play a patchwork D against Clemson, we could have won last year.

Keep the faith.

I predict that we will win 100% of the games where we manage to score more points than the other guys.
    ----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    UNCarolina is #15 in 247, but just due to quantity (21 recruits). Based on player average rating, they would be #24. We are #19 in the rankings and are also #19 in player average, so we are out-recruiting them.

Again, the schedule is not that tough once you get past the Big Three, and we play 2 of the 3 every year. If we are improved - and we should be - we can win every game outside of the Big Three, and those are not automatic losses either. We have Clemson and Alabama at home, and Clemson showed that Alabama can be beat, and we showed that Clemson's Defense is not all that. And that was Clemson having an NFL D Line that is now gone. If we did not play a patchwork D against Clemson, we could have won last year.

Keep the faith.
    They were just 11th a couple of days ago... those rankings change fast...

But what do you think has changed so much from last year to this year? Seriously?

You think we've magically become more disciplined?
    Better able to execute?
    Better tacklers?
    Better at not giving up the big play?

You tell me... with evidence... I'll wait.

But again, I do want the best... But let's be honest here...A magical, dramatic shift from what we saw last season to what some folks are projecting on here just doesn't happen.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I think UNC might actually be competitive and we probably won't pull away ( if we pull away) until late... it'll be closer than people think. I think both offenses will struggle early. However, we should win, and start clicking toward the end of the 2nd and definitely in the second half. We've owned NC football programs for a little while now. But the UNC game will either give people a reality check or fuel delusion.

These people talking all this 3+ games over .500 don't understand at all... optimism is one thing, but delusion based on not knowing how a program builds is another.

Bentley honestly will be the primary determinant of whether we overachieve ... PRIMARY.

gold jacket, green jacket HeadCockFan's Avatar

CT prediction threads every year for the last 20 years:

OP: I think we’ll go 9-3 with a chance for 11-1.

Bitter poster: Dude, we are not good. 6-6 at best, more likely a losing season.

Hero: Why the “doom and gloom?”

Bitter guy #2: Take off your “garnet glasses” you “sunshine pumpers.”

Hero #2: -lists three star players who look good on paper- We have SEC talent!

Bitter poster: Fire the coach and hire a mid major coach coming off a lucky season!
    Gamecocks1137: "I dont think it is embarrassing at all. Muschamp was just what this team needed."
    b381l:"no it's not....it's THE best staff we have ever had.....it's not close."
    -Spring 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
    CT prediction threads every year for the last 20 years:

OP: I think we’ll go 9-3 with a chance for 11-1.

Bitter poster: Dude, we are not good. 6-6 at best, more likely a losing season.

Hero: Why the “doom and gloom?”

Bitter guy #2: Take off your “garnet glasses” you “sunshine pumpers.”

Hero #2: -lists three star players who look good on paper- We have SEC talent!

Bitter poster: Fire the coach and hire a mid major coach coming off a lucky season!
    And when we are better than 6-6, "bitter poster" will still complain almost every week
    University of South Carolina '19