Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Jaylin Dickerson

  1. #21
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Soooo Maxwell Iyama is done with football completely? Or am I misreading this.
    Correct. This, by the way, was his tweet from earlier tonight:

    "First off I want to thank my family, friends, and Gamecock fans for all of the support from my situation. There’s more to life than football so I’ll continue to keep my head up and still reach for accomplishments. #GodsPlan #forevertoothee."

    I feel bad for the kid and wish him the best.
    Last edited by GeoCocky66; 07-19-2019 at 12:24 AM.

  2. #22
    1st Team All-SEC Goofyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indian Trail, NC
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Tight at safety, but we may have a little hidden depth. Chances are that Ibe and Jam Williams will be the primary backups to Cook and Roderick, with Roderick doing most of the nickel. Incoming freshman Robinson will likely start out at safety with the other three freshmen at corner. The story is told that both incoming LB's, Boykin and Brown can cover in a pinch. Zay Brown was moved to LB this spring, likely because of the thinness at LB. At corner, we have Horn and Mukuamu, but they will likely be backed-up by three freshmen and AJ Turner. If the running back position remains solid, I think Turner will train more and more at DB. He appears to have the speed, strength, attitude, and game sense to become a good one, and it might be his best chance at the pro level. There will be injuries, hopefully only short-term. I hope the coaches have the players set to cover any holes that develop.

  3. #23
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
    Tight at safety, but we may have a little hidden depth. Chances are that Ibe and Jam Williams will be the primary backups to Cook and Roderick, with Roderick doing most of the nickel. Incoming freshman Robinson will likely start out at safety with the other three freshmen at corner. The story is told that both incoming LB's, Boykin and Brown can cover in a pinch. Zay Brown was moved to LB this spring, likely because of the thinness at LB. At corner, we have Horn and Mukuamu, but they will likely be backed-up by three freshmen and AJ Turner. If the running back position remains solid, I think Turner will train more and more at DB. He appears to have the speed, strength, attitude, and game sense to become a good one, and it might be his best chance at the pro level. There will be injuries, hopefully only short-term. I hope the coaches have the players set to cover any holes that develop.
    Honestly, I think many of the slots won't get resolved until practice starts and CWM gauges what he's got after seeing the guys compete. For now, I think it stands as RJ and Ibe at safety, Jaycee and Izzy at CB, and ? at nickel. A number of guys could play nickel (for example, RJ, Jam, Jaycee), so I think a lot depends on: 1) whether Cook steps up enough to play consistently at S and how Jammie looks (either of which could free up RJ and/or replace JT), and 2) which (if any) of the newbies look ready for primetime, like Jaycee did last year (my guess would be Cam). That would give TRob some options for CB and nickel. TBS had an article today in which Jake and Bryan were talking up the new DBs, so we'll see. Finally, AJ is the real wild card since we don't really know right now what he's picked up. I'm also curious to see if we'll use a few more 3 LB sets, depending on how Boykins, Jones, Louis, Eldridge, etc. look.
    Last edited by GeoCocky66; 07-19-2019 at 12:31 AM.

  4. #24
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,357

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Goofy, Zay Brown transferred to UT Chattanooga, so he is out. I think the starters at Safety will be Ibe and Roderick, but Cook could slide in - otherwise, he is the top reserve. Jammie would be the 4th guy with Jam at Nickel.

    We are okay, barring injuries. If we have injuries - like what happened last year - we would have the same issues as last year.

    If we add Feaster, AJ is a full-time DB (and kick returner). Most schools liked him better as a DB coming out of HS, so it is not like he cannot play or lacks experience at the position. And it will be his best path to playing on Sundays.

  5. #25
    The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Conway, SC
    Posts
    17,622

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Here we go again.....another season of huge questions and lack of depth in the Gamecock secondary. Under a head coach that is supposed to be strong in defense, with the Secondary his position of emphasis. Not happy......

  6. #26
    The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Conway, SC
    Posts
    17,622

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Soooo Maxwell Iyama is done with football completely? Or am I misreading this.
    Yes he's done. Medical issue.....

  7. #27
    Recruit Soda City Spur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lugoff
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    We only have 4 guys with game day experience in our secondary now. 5 if you want to count JT.

    I think we can take the most risk with playing someone at the Nickel, and playing our best S (RJ) at the Nickel isn't our best option. Would like to see Jam play the Nickel and be the 1st reserve for either S position, and have Cam or Jaycee be the 1st reserve for the Nickel.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

  8. #28
    If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    40,430

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    I think the start of the season will be this:

    CB - Horn
    CB - Mukuamu
    N - Williams
    S - Roderick
    S - Ibe

    But by the the end of the season it will be this:

    CB - Horn
    CB - Mukuamu
    N - Roderick
    S - Cook or Robinson
    S - Ibe


    The staff really wants Roderick at the Nickel but they can't make that move unless Cook or Robinson emerge. Robinson can play Nickel too.

    It's also possible that if Cam Smith is as advertised, that he starts opposite of Mukuamu and Horn plays Nickel like he did last year.

    We don't have a depth issue in terms of bodies. Its experience and that can only be solved with playing time.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

  9. #29
    Recruit Soda City Spur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lugoff
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    The staff really wants Roderick at the Nickel
    This doesn't make sense to me because RJ can impact way more plays at S than he can from the Nickel. I guess the staff is not banking on having to play a ton of nickel or dime this year, but we all know that's against the trend of how things are going.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    It's also possible that if Cam Smith is as advertised, that he starts opposite of Mukuamu and Horn plays Nickel like he did last year.
    I think we'll see a lot of this as the season progresses depending on where our opponent's X lines up.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

  10. #30
    1st Team All-SEC Goofyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indian Trail, NC
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

    The staff really wants Roderick at the Nickel but they can't make that move unless Cook or Robinson emerge. Robinson can play Nickel too.

    It's also possible that if Cam Smith is as advertised, that he starts opposite of Mukuamu and Horn plays Nickel like he did last year.

    We don't have a depth issue in terms of bodies. Its experience and that can only be solved with playing time.
    We still have a shortage of bodies, but not critical unless the injury bug bites hard. I wish we could be about 1 or 2 shorter at TE and about 2 deeper at DB, but TE's usually help out a lot on special teams.

  11. #31
    If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    40,430

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me because RJ can impact way more plays at S than he can from the Nickel. I guess the staff is not banking on having to play a ton of nickel or dime this year, but we all know that's against the trend of how things are going.
    Because he has good size and he might be the most physical player on the defense. That translates well when it comes to playing in the box to help with run support. His size also doesn't become a liability when lining up against bigger receivers. It makes a lot of sense as to why they want him there.

    We are in a nickel package quite a bit.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

  12. #32
    1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    land de la rich
    Posts
    10,382

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    im not saying hes a clone, but look back when antonio allen was playing spur when our base defense was essentially a nickel defense. roderick may have that kind of talent and versatility to cover, help in run support and blitz off the edge. lining up with horn, israel, and rj on the perimeter should make us a lot less susceptible to teams simply running the ball and wr screening us to death.

    like already mentioned we have options even though the depth and experience isnt ideal. the talent and versatility should be there so we can switch things up if someone doesnt step up at safety or if things go well to give offenses another look to confuse them.

  13. #33
    Recruit Soda City Spur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lugoff
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Just think the benefit of him handling his assignments as a S are more valuable than the benefit of a Nickel handling his assignments. I want RJ to have the opportunity to clean anything up when we're in the Nickel, but that isn't really possible if he's playing man or an intermediate zone as a slot corner. Maybe RJ could come in as a S in the Nickel when we're defending the pass, and we'll have an audible for him to drop down if we think a run is coming.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

  14. #34
    1st Team All-SEC Goofyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Indian Trail, NC
    Posts
    4,393

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me because RJ can impact way more plays at S than he can from the Nickel. I guess the staff is not banking on having to play a ton of nickel or dime this year, but we all know that's against the trend of how things are going.



    I think we'll see a lot of this as the season progresses depending on where our opponent's X lines up.
    Roderick is really good against the run, and the nickel usually plays close to the line for that purpose. He may also be a big asset against the big mobile quarterbacks like Franks and Mond. Roderick definitely has some stopping power.

  15. #35
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,357

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Here we go again.....another season of huge questions and lack of depth in the Gamecock secondary. Under a head coach that is supposed to be strong in defense, with the Secondary his position of emphasis. Not happy......
    Boom brought in 4 DBs in this latest class, and he added Jamel Cook (transfer that is eligible this year) and Elijah Rodgers, a transfer who is a former Indiana commit. He played in the Shrine Bowl and is eligible immediately as a walk-on. I am very optimistic that they will do well and solve the depth issues, although experience will be lacking early in the season. Cook an Rodgers do have some maturity and college experience.

    Last year, Boom brought in the likely starters at CB (Mukuamu and Horn), and possibly both starting Safeties (Roderick and Ibe). Another recruit from 2018, Jonathan Gipson, opted to transfer. If the latest class comes anywhere close to the 2018 group, Boom has recruited his ass off.

    The problems stem from the 2017 recruiting class, where Jam Williams and Jaylin Dickerson have had multiple health issues, promising CB Tavyn Jakson had to give up football, and Kaleb Chalmers and Zay Brown did not pan out and transferred. We basically have gotten no production from a promising class. That is why we lack experienced depth, but Boom has done everything he can to fix it.

  16. #36
    Recruit Soda City Spur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Lugoff
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Jaylin Dickerson

    Excited to see it play out.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •