Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's state recruiting

Default Frank's state recruiting

Sounds like a broken record but the top player in the state, P.J Hall, didn't name us in his Top 5. A school in the upstate made it.

Default Re: Frank's state recruiting

I am not surprised. We need a big season this year. No excuses.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

He is from Dorman University, which has always been a Clemson stronghold. Per his comments, his issue was not with Frank or the school, but with living in Columbia. It sounds like he may have believed some of the Upstate spin about Columbia being a criminal cesspool.

But I doubt that he winds up at Clemson either, despite their influence at Dorman. He put them on the final list for the same reason that Zion Williamson did - for appearance's sake only. Why go to a school where basketball will always be an afterthought?

Hall was always a longshot. We just need to close the deal on some of the other bigs that we are looking at.

Hall was not always a longshot

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    He is from Dorman University, which has always been a Clemson stronghold. Per his comments, his issue was not with Frank or the school, but with living in Columbia. It sounds like he may have believed some of the Upstate spin about Columbia being a criminal cesspool.

But I doubt that he winds up at Clemson either, despite their influence at Dorman. He put them on the final list for the same reason that Zion Williamson did - for appearance's sake only. Why go to a school where basketball will always be an afterthought?

Hall was always a longshot. We just need to close the deal on some of the other bigs that we are looking at.
    If you've never seen the Dorman campus you should go sometime. It is bigger than many of the Universities and Colleges in the state. Part of it is visible from I-26, but the entrance is off of Hwy 221. Very impressive place.

Gainesville and Knoxville are significantly worse than Columbia. Whoever told him that about Columbia - well, he should have done his own investigation. Knoxville is a nasty place to live or even visit. Gainesville is small and the school is most of the city. It is inland so no ocean front views.

There's a lot of negative recruiting out there. Frank just isn't going to wade into that cesspool. I don't blame him.

Not being in the top 5 should be very concerning for the fan base and Tanner but it’s the same old story. Not buying the living in Columbia excuse especially if you consider some of the other schools mentioned by a previous poster. UF makes it because Hall's sister is already there as a top volleyball player. The thing those schools have over USC is a consistent history of bringing in multiple talented players in a class. Frank on occasion gets one, some questionable guys and some projects. That with his coaching style has very little appeal to the majority of players these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
    Not being in the top 5 should be very concerning for the fan base and Tanner but itís the same old story. Not buying the living in Columbia excuse especially if you consider some of the other schools mentioned by a previous poster. UF makes it because Hall's sister is already there as a top volleyball player. The thing those schools have over USC is a consistent history of bringing in multiple talented players in a class. Frank on occasion gets one, some questionable guys and some projects. That with his coaching style has very little appeal to the majority of players these days.
    If we continue to get guys like AJ Lawson, I couldnít give a rip about instate recruits. Call me delusional but I believe that the University of South Carolina can be a basketball school and we donít have to have instate players to do it.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    If we continue to get guys like AJ Lawson, I couldnít give a rip about instate recruits. Call me delusional but I believe that the University of South Carolina can be a basketball school and we donít have to have instate players to do it.
    Exactly. As an upstate guy, you know the propaganda that is spewed out by the Tillmanites about Columbia. And Dorman is as Clemson as you can get - they have three current players on the Clemson football roster and former Dorman WR Charone Peake runs a free camp at Dorman every year that Clemson coaches help with.

Yes, the other likely destinations are not better than Columbia - and, unlike Clemson, there is actually a city of some sorts, so there are actual activities and culture - but those places do not get trashed on a regular basis like Columbia.

I truly believe that we will finish near the top of the SEC and make the tournament his year. And that Trae Hannibal will be our next star in-state player. So this is PJ's mistake - our future is bright.

Just win, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    If we continue to get guys like AJ Lawson, I couldn’t give a rip about instate recruits. Call me delusional but I believe that the University of South Carolina can be a basketball school and we don’t have to have instate players to do it.
    There was no Lawson in this past recruiting class so unfortunately we are not continuing to get guys like him. When you're the flagship university of South Carolina and can't recruit guys from this state something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    There was no Lawson in this past recruiting class so unfortunately we are not continuing to get guys like him. When you're the flagship university of South Carolina and can't recruit guys from this state something is wrong.
    That's not exactly true. The last guy we added to out team McCreary was similarly rank to Lawson from what I remember. Personally I could care less where players come from as long as we win.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
    That's not exactly true. The last guy we added to out team McCreary was similarly rank to Lawson from what I remember. Personally I could care less where players come from as long as we win.
    The kid hasn't play 1 second of college ball and you're saying he is equal to Lawson...smh.

The kid hasn't play 1 second of college ball and you're saying he is equal to Lawson...smh.
    What? You said no one in the past recruiting class is like Lawson. So based on your logic no one will ever be because the freshman recruits haven't played in college yet. The only metrics we have to compare the current recruiting class to Lawson is by rankings and they are rated very similarly. Having said that it doesn't mean he will be guaranteed to be great or a bust, just that he's higher rated than our typical recruits.

Then something has been wrong for most of USC's basketball programs in my lifetime. If you are saying this is a Frank Martin problem then please tell me what happened in these many other years of USC BB before Frank got here. Neither USC or Clemson have gotten many of the top ranked SC players regardless of the coach. Please explain what was wrong before Frank got here or was Frank the cause of that also? Same goes for Clemson.

As Anderson Cock said I don't care where the players come from as long as we get good players. During the McGuire glory years how many of our star players were from SC, how many from out of state? Recruiting has steadily picked up under Frank Martin. From top to bottom we are probably looking at the best roster USC has had in many years and we are also in the running for some highly rated players for next year as well.

For those who complain about FM, he will become our 2nd All Time winningest coach in wins. If he simply has a winning record this year, he will be 2nd All Time in winning %. You can’t both complain about his lack of success and not admit our program has been a dumpster fire since the late 70’s. He’s the second most successful coach we have ever had.
    Q:Why did the Rooster cross the road?
    A:To kick a Tiger's Ass

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Then something has been wrong for most of USC's basketball programs in my lifetime. If you are saying this is a Frank Martin problem then please tell me what happened in these many other years of USC BB before Frank got here. Neither USC or Clemson have gotten many of the top ranked SC players regardless of the coach. Please explain what was wrong before Frank got here or was Frank the cause of that also? Same goes for Clemson.
    Disagree. This is a Fairly recent thing. Felton got plenty of the best SC talent. Fogler missed on guys like Xman, O'Neal and Garnet. Maybe Stanley Roberts - can't remember. But he signed several big time in-state players. This thing with missing on in-state players started during Fogler's last few years and then got worse when SC hired Odom and then Horn. It has gotten much worse with Martin.

Frank's sideline demeanor is being used against him big time recruiting inside the state.

You can say you don’t care where players come from and that’s fine...so long as we consistently get good players. For every Lawson there are many players we bring in to just fill a practice roster. We miss too often especially in state where it’s supposed to be easier. Hall is just one player but not even making his top 5 is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
    You can say you donít care where players come from and thatís fine...so long as we consistently get good players. For every Lawson there are many players we bring in to just fill a practice roster. We miss too often especially in state where itís supposed to be easier. Hall is just one player but not even making his top 5 is bad.
    As far as we know none of the players we got in the class of 2018 were duds. Lawson is an all league player, Bryant gave great effort and is extremely athletic, Moss was playing extended minutes before going down with injury and from all reports Cousinard is reportedly a good shooter. As far as 2019 goes, I believe we had a decent class but I wish we had landed Josiah James. Frank came in 4th place in a loaded SEC with 7 healthy players. Martin is a great coach, many are forgetting the shithole Darrin Horn took us to.

Frank needs to seriously compete for SEC championships. He also needs to make the NCAA tournament most years. Do that and no one gives a flip about PJ Hall

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Frank needs to seriously compete for SEC championships. He also needs to make the NCAA tournament most years. Do that and no one gives a flip about PJ Hall
    This is true. And players will want to come here. That's what UT has done with Barnes.