Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

  1. #1
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

    Name:  Saluda.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  37.5 KB

    Name:  Saluda0.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  21.6 KB

    Name:  Saluda1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  60.9 KB

    Name:  Saluda2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  109.1 KB

    Name:  Saluda3.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  132.0 KB
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  2. #2
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Name:  Saluda4.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  41.6 KB

    Name:  Saluda6.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  136.0 KB

    Name:  Saluda7.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  22.7 KB

    Name:  Saluda8.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  127.5 KB

    Name:  Saluda9.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  34.0 KB
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  3. #3
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,688

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Pts.

  4. #4
    Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4 Gaichon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Here and There
    Posts
    4,615

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Been around the world a couple times and that’s still one of my absolute favorite spots. Thanks for sharing.
    "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools." - Thucydides


  5. #5
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
    Been around the world a couple times and that’s still one of my absolute favorite spots. Thanks for sharing.
    Yeah I've been down it a couple of dozen times and it's like a new experience every time.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  6. #6
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    As an avid paddler and outdoorsman, I love that stretch of river and really appreciate your photos. While there's still a ways to go, I'm glad that we're trying to do a better job with our rivers and riverfronts in the Columbia area - they're a great resource for tourism, recreation, and contemplation.

  7. #7
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    As an avid paddler and outdoorsman, I love that stretch of river and really appreciate your photos. While there's still a ways to go, I'm glad that we're trying to do a better job with our rivers and riverfronts in the Columbia area - they're a great resource for tourism, recreation, and contemplation.
    Last month 4 of us had planned a trip on the Broad River from Peak down to Harbison State Park. We made plans to meet at Harbison at 7, we had filed a float plan with them, had the combination to the locks etc and when we got to Peak the road that you take to the River access at the bridge was closed on both ends for road work and we couldn't get to the landing. sigh

    We ended up going to the Parr Reservoir and paddling around up there for 4-5 hours, it was OK but it wasn't as much fun as the river. We called Harbison and told them we were safely in and my brother called them Monday to tell them what happened, they had no idea the landing at Peak was closed. I think I got some pictures of that trip as well. I'll post them.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  8. #8
    Household Name FurmanCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mills River, NC
    Posts
    5,223

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    If you have some time...come up to the French Broad. There are some great paddle trails on one of the world's oldest rivers.
    Bison

  9. #9
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    If you have some time...come up to the French Broad. There are some great paddle trails on one of the world's oldest rivers.
    Yeah that's definitely on our "wish list." So far we've done stretches of the Broad, Saluda, Congaree, Edisto, Enoree, and Congaree Swamp. Can you recommend a 12-18 mile trip? (landing and take out points?)
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  10. #10
    Household Name FurmanCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mills River, NC
    Posts
    5,223

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Couple of options:

    I'm assuming you have your own gear.

    1. I find this link to be helpful in finding landing and takeout points: https://frenchbroadpaddle.com/

    2. For a relatively short (7-8 miles) paddle, I recommend putting in at Bent Creek River Park and taking out at Hominy Creek River and Picnic. This little run will take you through the Biltmore Estate with some views of the Biltmore House.
    3. For a little longer paddle (about 20 miles), you can put in at Horseshoe Boating Access and exit at Bent Creek.
    4. There are also several large breweries on the river (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues) that you can destinate if you wish: https://matadornetwork.com/read/ashe...ver-breweries/

    5. If you need equipment, or just want somebody else to handle the shuttle, I highly recommend Headwaters Outfitters: https://www.headwatersoutfitters.com/
    Bison

  11. #11
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    Couple of options:

    I'm assuming you have your own gear.

    1. I find this link to be helpful in finding landing and takeout points: https://frenchbroadpaddle.com/

    2. For a relatively short (7-8 miles) paddle, I recommend putting in at Bent Creek River Park and taking out at Hominy Creek River and Picnic. This little run will take you through the Biltmore Estate with some views of the Biltmore House.
    3. For a little longer paddle (about 20 miles), you can put in at Horseshoe Boating Access and exit at Bent Creek.
    4. There are also several large breweries on the river (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues) that you can destinate if you wish: https://matadornetwork.com/read/ashe...ver-breweries/

    5. If you need equipment, or just want somebody else to handle the shuttle, I highly recommend Headwaters Outfitters: https://www.headwatersoutfitters.com/
    Stealing this for my own planning purposes...

    Also, for another nearby Coastal Plain destination, check out the Lynches. A former graduate student of mine contributed to this handy guide: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/water/river/pd...okComplete.pdf

  12. #12
    Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Raaaawlee, NC
    Posts
    24,638

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    loved the Saluda when I lived around Columbia. Used to canoe (or raft depending on water level) it a good bit. Also used to Kayak the rapids by the zoo. Or just go down there and hang out on a 100 degree hot columbia summer day.

  13. #13
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    Couple of options:

    I'm assuming you have your own gear.

    1. I find this link to be helpful in finding landing and takeout points: https://frenchbroadpaddle.com/

    2. For a relatively short (7-8 miles) paddle, I recommend putting in at Bent Creek River Park and taking out at Hominy Creek River and Picnic. This little run will take you through the Biltmore Estate with some views of the Biltmore House.
    3. For a little longer paddle (about 20 miles), you can put in at Horseshoe Boating Access and exit at Bent Creek.
    4. There are also several large breweries on the river (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues) that you can destinate if you wish: https://matadornetwork.com/read/ashe...ver-breweries/

    5. If you need equipment, or just want somebody else to handle the shuttle, I highly recommend Headwaters Outfitters: https://www.headwatersoutfitters.com/
    Thanks! Very good info.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  14. #14
    1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gaston, SC
    Posts
    12,134

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Stealing this for my own planning purposes...

    Also, for another nearby Coastal Plain destination, check out the Lynches. A former graduate student of mine contributed to this handy guide: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/water/river/pd...okComplete.pdf
    That's an awesome resource, thanks.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

  15. #15
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,520

    Default Re: Sunday morning on the Saluda River

    Here's one other great resource for paddling in South Carolina, including descriptions, durations, access points, reviews (if you create an account), and even USGS flow data, in some cases:

    https://www.gopaddlesc.com/trips

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •