Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 SC Pro-Am League Official Thread

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default 2019 SC Pro-Am League Official Thread

The 2019 annual SC Pro-Am Men's Basketball League began today. The official site for the SC Pro-Am is here: https://www.scproam.org/

Stats & results for games can be found here: https://www.recleague.net/leagues/scproam18/statistics

The team rosters are as follows (current Gamecocks players are bold Garnet, former USC players Garnet only):

JETS
    Coach: Jamie Watson

Jordan Watson (6'2 - JR - Erskine)
    Devan Downey (5'10 - Pro)
    Austin Lawton (6'9-Pro)
    Alanzo Frink (6'6 -SOPH- UofSC)
    Keshawn Bryant (6'6 - SOPH - UofSC)
    Kaelon Harris (6'4 - SR - The Citadel)
    Ta'Jay Dunlap (5'10 - Fresh- Southern Wesleyan)
    Majerle Poole (6'3 - JR - Johnson & Wales)
    Khalil Halls (6'3 - SR - Coker)

Hood Construction
    Coach: Bryan Brown

James Reese (6'4 - JR - North Texas)
    Russell Jones (5'8 - Fresh - Winthrop)
    Wildens Leveque (6'10 - Fresh - UofSC)
    Trae Hannibal (6'3 - Fresh - UofSC)
    Chase Claxton (6'7 - Fresh - Winthrop)
    Zarrius Salmond (6'3 - Fresh - Erskine)
    Jalil Robinson (6'4 - Fresh- Francis Marion)
    Alex Reed (6'5 - JR - Citadel)
    Torrey Craig (6'6 - Denver Nuggets)
    Kendale Hampton (6'3 - Central Missouri)

Chick-Fil-A Two Notch RD
    Coach: JoJo English

Maik Kotsar (6'11 - SR - UofSC)
    PJ Dozier (6'6 - Pro)
    Kaiden Rice (6'5 -JR -Citadel)
    Crosby James (6'0-Fresh- Anderson)
    Jermaine Couisnard (6'4 -Fresh- UofSC )
    Josh Ferguson (6'8 - SR - Winthrop)
    Ryle Owens (6'3 - SR - Young Harris)
    EJ Eaves (6'3 - Pro)
    Brandon Parker (6'3 - Pro/Francis Marion)

Leevy's
    Coach: Aaron Lucas

AJ Lawson (6'6 - Soph - UofSC)
    Trey Anderson (6'5 - Fresh - UofSC)
    Christiaan Jones (6'4 -Soph- Stetson)
    Kark Gamble (6'9 - SR - Middle Tenn.)
    Tre'Darius McCallum (6'5- Depaul/Pro)
    Marcus Stroman (6'2 -ULL)
    DJ Sinkler (6'3 - Fresh- Francis Marion)
    Josh Corbin (6'3-Fresh- Winthrop)
    James Murray-Boyles (6'5 - Pro)

Honda of Columbia
    Coach: Terrence Gibson

Jalek Felton (6'3- Pro)
    TJ Moss (6'4 - RS Fresh - UofSC)
    Jalyn McCreary (6'8-Fresh- UofSC)
    Malik Dunbar (6'5 - Auburn/Pro)
    Tevin Mack (6'7 - SR - Clemson)
    Jamal King (6'5 - Fresh- Winthrop)
    Ricardo Glenn (6'8 - Pro)
    Marquise Simuel (6'4 - Pro)
    Brandon Stroman (6'5 -SR-Coker)

Bernie's Chicken
    Coach: Robert Wells

Seventh Woods (6'1 - SR - UofSC)
    Jair Bolden (6'4 - JR - UofSC)
    Cam Lee (6'3 - Pro)
    Tyler Brevard (6'3 - JR - Lander)
    James Edmond Jr (6'8 - Pro)
    Jalen Johnson (6'3 - Fresh - Newberry)
    VT Taylor (6'4 - Pro)
    Tyonn Stuckey (5'10 - JR - Emmanuel College)
    Carlos Dotson (6'7 - JR - Western Carolina)

Default Re: 2019 SC Pro-Am League Official Thread

Game results today:

David Cloninger‏ @DCPandC 3h3 hours ago
    Gamecocks in the @SCProAm, Game 1:
    Alanzo Frink: 13 points, 12 rebounds
    Keyshawn Bryant: 28 points, 3 rebounds
    Maik Kotsar: 6 points, 17 rebounds
    Jermaine Couisnard: 40 points, 6 rebounds

David Cloninger‏ @DCPandC 2h2 hours ago
    Gamecocks in the @SCProAm, Game 2:
    Wildens Leveque: 22 points, 14 rebounds
    Trae Hannibal: 18 points, 7 rebounds
    T.J. Moss: 18 points, 9 rebounds
    Jalyn McCreary: 20 points, 12 rebounds
    David Cloninger‏ @DCPandC 30m30 minutes ago
    Gamecocks in the @SCProAm, Game 3:
    Jair Bolden: 14 points, 4 rebounds
    Seventh Woods: 14 points, 7 rebounds
    Trey Anderson: 17 points, 9 rebounds

What jumps out at me.

Couisnard 40 points and 6 rebs.

Wow I thought 40 points was a mistype. Well it looks like Cousinard and Bryant wasn't playing around. Overall I like the balanced scoring/rebounds from the other guys.
    Last edited by GAMEKEM; 07-21-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    What jumps out at me.

First thing that I noticed, too. Looking forward to seeing him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    What jumps out at me.

Couisnard was unconscious!!!! The scoring wasn't his most impressive thing, either. The thing that impressed me the most was his speed. This kid can really move when he decides to. He has a ridiculously quick first step, and can beat almost anybody down the court. A few times he burst into full afterburner from mid court, and no one was near the basket when he got there. I was extremely impressed with him from the first moments of the contest.

BUT, Couisnard wasn't the player I was MOST impressed with either. Although it was close. The player I was most impressed with was Wildens Leveque!!! This guy is Chris Silva 2.0!!!!! He is just as athletic as Chris, but he is bigger, stronger and better than Chris was when he got here. I remember watching Silva at the ProAm as an incoming freshman, and being so impressed with his ability to dunk and block shots. Leveque did all of that just as well, if not better, but was always one of the first guys down the court, and made plays on both sides time and time and time again. Think of Chris Silva as a Junior, but with more mass and a little taller. Leveque is going to be a MONSTER for us!!!

And McCreary looks taller than 6'8". He was also very athletic and aggressive at times. He was playing against Leveque, so he didn't get as many opportunities, but he schooled Leveque a few times. So he will add to the big bodies down low.

The fact is, I had very little optimism for this upcoming season. I expected we would have a few pieces, but had forgotten about the transfers, and the writeups on the incoming freshmen, other than Hannibal, weren't very exciting. However, after watching almost all of them yesterday, I am wide eyed and feeling extremely optimistic about this season. WE HAVE MORE TALENT AND ATHLETICISM ON THIS TEAM THAN THE FINAL FOUR TEAM. Now, that being said, I'm NOT saying we will go to the final four. In fact I'm almost positive we won't. But, there isn't a single person on this team who isn't crazy athletic!!! NOT ONE!!! And before you guys shout out Kotsar, remember how many times this guy dribbled the ball all the way up court and took it to the rim with a slam. Kotsar is plenty athletic for a 6'10" guy. He just needs to have a much more aggressive mindset.

Bits and pieces: I was very impressed with Trey Anderson's defense. He can also score very well, but his defense is reminiscent of Thornwell and Notice. Alanzo Frink has gotten rid of the babyfat look, and added noticeable muscle. He also got rid of the big hair, and has his head braded down now. He looked very good moving around the court, and went head to head with Kotsar many times. Both guys got the other on occassions, and both looked good moving around the court. Bryant had some monster dunks, and showed a continuation of developing his 10 foot jumper, as we saw from him late last season. AJ Lawson didn't show up.Hopefully we will see him play
    Thursday. Moss looked very good, and it was nice to see him back on the court. He played great the entire time. He hit his shots, and played more defense than most others out there today, except for Anderson. seventh Woods and Jiare Bolden were good players as well, but maybe not as impressive as some of the others. Although both showed excellent athletism at different times.

The MOST disappointing performance from a player on USC's roster was Hannibal. He had an extremely rough start, and couldn't get the ball to go down for most of the game. But about three quarters of the way through the second half, he started scoring, and then scored a lot near the end. So his numbers will look inflated to what he actually did. Although I am not concerned with this at all, as we all know this kid can score the ball. I am more concerned with his defense. Maybe it was just being that it was the ProAm, but he showed ZERO defense. However, he is a lot more muscular than I realized. He is very thick, and can move when he wants to. As I said, this entire team is extremely athletic.

Hope that helps you guys who are jonesing for bball news. I will not be able to go to the one on Tuesday, but will be at the one on Thursday at 6pm. I'll try to do a similar writeup after that one. Thanks.
    Last edited by snoopcockycock; 07-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

To borrow from "When Harry Met Sally", I'll have what Snoop is having.

I saw McCreary's Junior highlights and warned that he was a 6'6" Wing type that would not help down low. Then I saw his Senior film and saw that he had morphed into an athletic 6'8" with some muscle and a lot of mobility.

Good to hear the rave reviews on Couisnard and Leveque. And a healthy/in shape Frink will help a lot.

But I gotta take you to task on one thing. How many times did Kotsar take it the length of the court and dunk? I remember one time, LOL. But he is very quick - and a good ballhandler - for a guy that is listed at 6'11" with some muscle. It sounds like we have some legit inside strength with Kotsar, Levegue, Henry, McCreary and Frink.

As I stated last year, Couisnard was thought to be our 2nd best recruit last season. From his showing at the Pro-Am he appears to be as good or better than advertised. Seems he also has very good passing skills. As I posted a day or so ago I think this is the best talent from top to bottom we have had in many years. Frank's out of state recruiting is looking very good.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Is there any TV coverage?

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
    Is there any TV coverage?
    No. You have to go to Heathwood Hall on Tuesday (6pm), Thursday(6pm) or Sunday (2pm) to see any of the remaining games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    To borrow from "When Harry Met Sally", I'll have what Snoop is having.

I saw McCreary's Junior highlights and warned that he was a 6'6" Wing type that would not help down low. Then I saw his Senior film and saw that he had morphed into an athletic 6'8" with some muscle and a lot of mobility.

Good to hear the rave reviews on Couisnard and Leveque. And a healthy/in shape Frink will help a lot.

But I gotta take you to task on one thing. How many times did Kotsar take it the length of the court and dunk? I remember one time, LOL. But he is very quick - and a good ballhandler - for a guy that is listed at 6'11" with some muscle. It sounds like we have some legit inside strength with Kotsar, Levegue, Henry, McCreary and Frink.
    Well, actually if you go back and look at the Games on YT, I found six instances of Kotsar bringing the ball the full length of the court in a hurry. And there were several other instances of him driving from the top of the key with Authority. The problem is after doing something like that, we wouldn't see anything from him for most of the rest of the game. He plays aggressive in spurts. And I really hope Frank has beaten that out of him for his senior season.
    But yeah, we will have a much better presence down low this year. And not only has Frink put on good muscle, but he just looks BIGGER!!!! It might just be that I was standing right there with him, but boy he looked way bigger than he did last year.
    And another note to think about, we have so much talent and depth at the guard spots, we can have fresh legs in the game at all times. I believe they are that good, that we can sub at will in most games.

Frink never had a chance to get in shape last season due to his pre-season injury and he missed many weeks of practice time. I look forward to seeing what a healthy and conditoned Frink can do this season, just wish he was a few inches taller.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Snoop, I agree that Kotsar is much more athletic than people realize. Quick and a good ballhandler for his size. But for whatever reason, he does not finish with a dunk unless he has a wide open breakaway.

Thanks for the reviews - I think that we can have a really good team this year.

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

We're going to have a big year; this will probably be our most talented team in over 20 years.

Game 1 of Tuesday Night games:

Jermaine Couisnard: 18-24, 6-11 3-pt., 5-5 FT, 47 pts, 6 reb, 9 ast
    Maik Kotsar: 4-4, 8 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast
    Jalyn McCreary: 12-13, 0-1 FT, 24 pts, 8 reb, 1 ast.
    TJ Moss: 4-17, 4-13 3-pt., 12 pts, 0 reb, 2 ast.

PJ Dozier also played on Couisnard's team: he was 5-9 for 13 pts, 1 reb, 2 ast.....

Game 2 tonight:

Trae Hannibal: 11 for 16, 0 for 2 from 3-pt., 2-3 FT, for 24 pts, 1 reb, 5 ast,
    Wildens Leveque: 6 for 7, for 12 pts, 4 reb
    Seventh Woods: 9 for 15, 3 for 7 from 3-pt., 23 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast
    Jair Bolden: 3 of 8, 3 of 7 from 3-pt., 9 pts, 0 reb, 1 ast

Sin Thornwell played: he was 8 of 14, 2 of 4 from the 3-pt., for 21 pts, 4 reb, and 3 ast....

Game 3 results:

Trey Anderson: 10 of 13, 4 of 7 from 3-pt., 24 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast
    Alanzo Frink: 6 of 17, 2 of 7 from 3-pt., 2 of 7 FT, 16 pts, 5 reb, 0 ast
    Keyshawn Bryant: 18 of 34, 4 of 14 from 3-pt., 2 of 2 FT, 42 pts, 8 reb, 0 ast.

It was interesting how so many players had strong rebounding numbers in the first night of games, but not quite as good in the 2nd night. This wasn't just the USC players, but pretty much all players had the same situation. Also, a number of players had really strong FG completion %'s, which tell me that what little defense there is, there was even less of that during Tuesday night's games...
    Last edited by ConwayGamecock; 07-24-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Looks like Couisnard is no fluke. If he can average around 15 a game, we should be have some decent talent at guard. I really like the 9 assists. McCreary's stat line is pretty impressive too.

Drain, Oregon is horrible...don't move here from California

Damn! Kotsar with 17 rebounds! nice...
    ďI have one and I donít get along with mine. That tells you how much I donít like agents.Ē
    -Frank

"We follow the rules here."
    -Boom

"Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
    -HBC

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Game 1 of Tuesday Night games:

Jermaine Couisnard: 18-24, 6-11 3-pt., 5-5 FT, 47 pts, 6 reb, 9 ast
    Maik Kotsar: 4-4, 8 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast
    Jalyn McCreary: 12-13, 0-1 FT, 24 pts, 8 reb, 1 ast.
    TJ Moss: 4-17, 4-13 3-pt., 12 pts, 0 reb, 2 ast.

PJ Dozier also played on Couisnard's team: he was 5-9 for 13 pts, 1 reb, 2 ast.....

Game 2 tonight:

Trae Hannibal: 11 for 16, 0 for 2 from 3-pt., 2-3 FT, for 24 pts, 1 reb, 5 ast,
    Wildens Leveque: 6 for 7, for 12 pts, 4 reb
    Seventh Woods: 9 for 15, 3 for 7 from 3-pt., 23 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast
    Jair Bolden: 3 of 8, 3 of 7 from 3-pt., 9 pts, 0 reb, 1 ast

Sin Thornwell played: he was 8 of 14, 2 of 4 from the 3-pt., for 21 pts, 4 reb, and 3 ast....

Game 3 results:

Trey Anderson: 10 of 13, 4 of 7 from 3-pt., 24 pts, 2 reb, 1 ast
    Alanzo Frink: 6 of 17, 2 of 7 from 3-pt., 2 of 7 FT, 16 pts, 5 reb, 0 ast
    Keyshawn Bryant: 18 of 34, 4 of 14 from 3-pt., 2 of 2 FT, 42 pts, 8 reb, 0 ast.

It was interesting how so many players had strong rebounding numbers in the first night of games, but not quite as good in the 2nd night. This wasn't just the USC players, but pretty much all players had the same situation. Also, a number of players had really strong FG completion %'s, which tell me that what little defense there is, there was even less of that during Tuesday night's games...
    Thanks for the stats Conway. Which site did you get these from? I'll be going again on Thursday. Really love what I'm seeing from all the USC players. This is going to be a fun team to watch. Also impressed with Anderson's stats. He is showing great versatility.

Guys don't get overly excited about the points being scored as the games are like nba all star games... no defense is played.

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    Guys don't get overly excited about the points being scored as the games are like nba all star games... no defense is played.
    Hard not to get excited about Bryant and Couisnard. It's a work out to score that many points even if they are not playing much defense.