Thread: Earnest Jones

Default Earnest Jones

Man, I was already really high on this guy, just from watching him when he got his chances to play last year. He was really impressive for a guy who was so young, and knew very little about the entire scheme. BUT, after listening to his most recent interview just now, I am blown away at his intelligence, drive and warrior mentality!!! He is NOW my favorite player on the team. His insistence that he NEVER wants to be on the bench, and he ALWAYS wants to be on the field and in charge is so inspiring. Every question he answered came from the heart, and you could easily hear it. Many of the players answer questions as if they've been coached to answer them. His answers were somewhat surprising at times, and very aggressive towards a level of excellence. He has a ridiculously high standard for play, and a hardnosed attitude about how to get there. I predict very big things for this young man, and our LB's as a whole. One point he made especially gives me great confidence, where he talks about having two Mike LBs on the field at the same time, with Brunson actually playing Will LB. He was talking about how Brunson can look at the sideline to get the call, while he is scanning the TE's, RB's and WR's to see the set. That is a huge advantage! Especially with hurry up offenses. I truly think this is a deadly combination at LB for us this year, and with a much better DL in front of them, will produce night and day differences this season compared to the last one.
    If you haven't seen it yet, I would advise you guys to go watch this interview. Cheers!

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Default Re: Earnest Jones

So what you are saying is.....Ernest is earnest about being the best he can be?

I saw the interview with Jones and I agree - Sherrod's concussion might turn him into a modern day Wally Pipp. Jones is a confident and smart player who is used to being in a leadership role. I hope that motivates Sherrod to step it up.

It is hard to tell how much of the LB problems last year were due to their shortcomings and how much was due to the D Line issues. The D Line should be much better this year, so no more excuses.

I heard Coleman talking about Jones - he sounds impressive. But I'm not buying any preseason hype. I want to see it on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I heard Coleman talking about Jones - he sounds impressive. But I'm not buying any preseason hype. I want to see it on the field.
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to see it on the field at all, BUT, we did get to see it on the field last season, when it comes to Jones. He was impressive from the very first play I noticed he was playing. And it's easy to exstrapulate what he was able to do last season, with very little knowledge of the defensive scheme or experience doing it on the field, and what he will do this year after having all this time in the system, actual game experience AND the position coach getting THAT excited as soon as his name was mentioned. Those things point towards a remarkable output on the field. A lot like the kind of hype we heard when Lattimore or Clowney got here. I'm not saying he's either of those guys, but he and Boykins look to be big difference makers, as does Horn, Makuamu, Rodderick and Cook. I see a completely different Defense this season, and it's not JUST because of who's here, but also about who's NOT here anymore. Like Fenton...

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

There are two types of people in the world. The ones that talk themselves up - usually to cover hide their limitations - and the ones that don't talk themselves up - usually because they don't need to.

Jones was amazingly matter of fact and confident, with zero self-promotion. But he knew his role to a tee and explained it very clearly. Hutzler did plenty of talking about Jones - he was pretty blunt about his ability and that he was a starter now. If you move a Senior and multi-year starter to a new position to make room for a Sophomore, that says something.

I am not saying that we will be a Top Ten D, or even Top 25 given our schedule difficulty. But we will be much improved over the product that was on the field early last season, and light years away from what we had at the end of the season when there were few healthy defenders.