Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $4 Gallon Gas in Charlotte

Default Re: $4 Gallon Gas in Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker USC
    PS: that photo uscgrad posted isn't even a Smart, it's a VW CrossFox.
    Yeah the website has a correction. But I believe the CrossFox is a little bigger than the Smart Car, right?

Quote Originally Posted by usc90grad
    I found these photos of a VW Smart Car vs a truck. The site said both people in the Smart Car died.
    I am pretty sure that any car versus a semi in a head on crash is not going to yeild friendly results.

those smart cars though, that frame is built like a freakin nascar. You are probably safer in it then a lot of larger vehicle out there today.

Yeah the website has a correction. But I believe the CrossFox is a little bigger than the Smart Car, right?
    Size is not indicative of safety.

For example, my junk is significantly larger then the averages Joe's and is known to be a great danger to the safety of women everywhere.

THE University OF SC garnetgolfr's Avatar

^ I've always heard gas stations make their money with the $8 car washes, $1.39 Cokes and $1.29 Snickers. Guess that's true.

So it must be the gas distributors raping us.
    It's true. I know someone who owns an Exxon station and their gas is closing in on $4.00 and he showed me where he was only making .4 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic
    i feel ya. my bro has a ford explorer, which i swear gets like 12 miles to the gallon. and my mom just bought a lexus RX330 which is a little better and gets 20 mpg.
    I'm in the same Ford Explorer "boat" as your brother.

When I arrived at work this morning (I work at Wal-Mart in Manning), our gas was $3.72 a gallon, when I left to come home, it was $3.68. Gas dropped .4 at our store!!!!

A tidbit for anyone who cares and doesn't know... if you pick up a Wal-Mart gift card, you can use it at a Wal-Mart gas station and save .3 a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Will4144
    When I arrived at work this morning (I work at Wal-Mart in Manning), our gas was $3.72 a gallon, when I left to come home, it was $3.68. Gas dropped .4 at our store!!!!

A tidbit for anyone who cares and doesn't know... if you pick up a Wal-Mart gift card, you can use it at a Wal-Mart gas station and save .3 a gallon.
    and wasnt wal-mart offering discounts to anyone who used their stimulus check to buy a gift card?

Wow. I'm curious to see what my new Tacoma will get on the road. I don't see how much worse this can get.

I decided that instead of trading in the ol' gas guzzler for something with better mileage, that I'd spend less money in the long run by buying one of these:

So far, its working pretty well on the commute. It helps that I live near work, and that Charlotte has a decent network of bike lanes. You can't complain about the mileage on this thing, and now I only have to get gas every month or so since I hardly ever have to drive the SUV. I usually time it so that I'm going back to SC when I'm getting gas. $4 sucks here in Charlotte (it will be $5 before you know it), but I love the fact that SC is 15 minutes down the road, and that I'm not stuck filling up every week.
    EMOLLIT MORES NEC SINIT ESSE FEROS
    UNIVERSITAS CAROLIN MERID. 1801

Up here in Michigan, it's been over $4.00 for a while now. Just yesterday, I saw diesel at $4.82/Gallon. It's only going to get worse...if we don't hit $5.00/Gallon for regular unleaded by mid-summer, I will be in shock.
    Your Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by WayzUp
    Up here in Michigan, it's been over $4.00 for a while now. Just yesterday, I saw diesel at $4.82/Gallon. It's only going to get worse...if we don't hit $5.00/Gallon for regular unleaded by mid-summer, I will be in shock.
    Actually, some "experts" think that gas might have peaked (at least for the short term, anyway...)

Oil has retreated nearly 5 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Actually, some "experts" think that gas might have peaked (at least for the short term, anyway...)

Oil has retreated nearly 5 dollars
    I hope you're right. I read that prices have dropped due to less demand (This is even after reports came out yesterday that there may be some shortages in production out of a few areas.). I think consumers are finally starting to curb their need to drive and waste gas. Also, I saw something over in the other thread that was open about OPEC, that maybe we going to see a little bit of a bubble burst in oil futures. Hopefully that's true since most of the pricing increases we have have been driven by investors bidding up the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecklenburg Cock
    I hope you're right. I read that prices have dropped due to less demand (This is even after reports came out yesterday that there may be some shortages in production out of a few areas.). I think consumers are finally starting to curb their need to drive and waste gas. Also, I saw something over in the other thread that was open about OPEC, that maybe we going to see a little bit of a bubble burst in oil futures. Hopefully that's true since most of the pricing increases we have have been driven by investors bidding up the price.
    Actually, the real reason why oil prices have declined over the past two days is due to expected demand decreases due to certain developing nations that are expected to pullback some of their fuel subsidies...
    India and Indonesia are the two that I've read about, but it seems China will cling to their subsidies for a while longer...

^^I thought I also read that early indications were that consumers' spending on gas over the memorial day weekend were down which has also helped bring pricing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecklenburg Cock
    ^^I thought I also read that early indications were that consumers' spending on gas over the memorial day weekend were down which has also helped bring pricing down.
    very true
    i had posted articles some time back that consumption in the U.S. were EXPECTED to decrease, and now with the Memorial Day weekend over with, which often tells a lot about what consumption will be over the summer, it went from EXPECTED to actual.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    very true
    i had posted articles some time back that consumption in the U.S. were EXPECTED to decrease, and now with the Memorial Day weekend over with, which often tells a lot about what consumption will be over the summer, it went from EXPECTED to actual.
    It's great news. Actually factual evidence that shows consumers are cutting back can only help to aid in the bringing prices back down to within reason.