Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 101

Keeper of the Booze GotSpurrier82's Avatar

Default Football 101

Since the Hen House closed, it took the Football 101 thread with it, which I thought was a great thread. Maybe we could start it up again? Mods, move this if necessary and sticky it if you want.

I'll start:
    Other than the obvious, is there really a difference between a punter and a kicker? I guess one can kick the ball farther while the other is more accurate?
    There ain't no rest for the wicked, 'til we close our eyes for good.

somewhat unoriginal morgan n' 7's Avatar

Default Re: Football 101

Well, A punter is there to help the defense. If an offense fails to get into Field Goal range....A punter is there to kick the ball away to the opposition in hopes of pinning the oppositions offense deep in their own territory....making them drive the field.

A Kicker is there for the offense. When we get into field goal range and get stopped, the kicker is there to try a kick through the uprights for 3 points.

And if we score a TD(6 points)....the kicker is there to kick an extra 1 point.

they both get tied up to the goal post when practice is over

Thank you. I did not know it was that complicated. I thought "kick" and "punt" were synonymous but I guess not in football.

I heart football.

Wxplaina blist(think that is spelled right), please... Thanks!

CT's 2x Favorite Tiger warriorchief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USCSmiley View Post
    I think you mean a blitz?

Yep--sorta kinda understand it...but not totally...

Some guys were talking about their team and said they were running a 53 defense. what does that mean?

5-3 Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by APalmetto10 View Post
    Some guys were talking about their team and said they were running a 53 defense. what does that mean?
    that probably called a goal line defense ... 5 3 is just ODD ... it means 5 linemen and 3 linebackers ... i've heard of 5 2 ... but not 5 3
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Heisman Candidate Cock Football 05's Avatar

yeah 5 DL and 3 LBs...seems like a goalline defense

common ones are 4-3, 3-4, and 5-2, and some 4-4

Yep--sorta kinda understand it...but not totally...
    and blitz is when a linebacker, corner, or safety (sometimes all) main goal is to sack the QB ... they're trying to blitz the QB before he can throw the ball ... this is also affective in the running game ... a blitz is to bring more defensive players than the offense has to block
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    and blitz is when a linebacker, corner, or safety (sometimes all) main goal is to sack the QB ... they're trying to blitz the QB before he can throw the ball ... this is also affective in the running game ... a blitz is to bring more defensive players than the offense has to block
    The risk is it leaves receivers uncovered. But the reward is huge if you can get to the QB and get a sack, or possibly force him into a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    that probably called a goal line defense ... 5 3 is just ODD ... it means 5 linemen and 3 linebackers ... i've heard of 5 2 ... but not 5 3
    5-3 defenses are more common in middle school, JV, and high school football. you will see them every now and then used in college if the team they are playing is pounding the ball...but on the college level, it can be risky unless it is a red zone situation and the defense is backed against their own goalline- then it would be wise to try.

it is used in high school and lower levels because running the ball is more prevalent and passing is not. the OLBs need to be quick and be ready to act as CBs should a flat pass or TE go in that direction- but first priority would be the run.

i guess you could call a 5-3 a goal line defense, but its more of a short yardage defense. Similar to the 4-4, it requires bringing 8 men into the box to prepare for a short run, where as the 4-4 is more geared towards short pass defense.

If you don't know now you know....

Gotcha--now I understand!! Thanks for all the info!!! I still love football---but likes the tight ends---LOL! (just a female comment--LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
    Since the Hen House closed, it took the Football 101 thread with it, which I thought was a great thread. Maybe we could start it up again?
    Excellent idea Morgan. This thread should be used a lot.

It was a good thread that we had in the Hen House before. I had forgotten about it until you brought it back up GS.

Looks like the guys have explained it already.
    For those who want further clarification about the defensive alignments. . ..Starting with the basics.

Defense is broken down into three main groups. Interior Line, Linebackers and Defensive Backfield. The term "Front" however refers to the Interior and Linebackers only. So when a coach or commentator says they're playing a 7 man front, it is any combination of Interior Line (sometimes called "Down" linemen) and the linbackers totaling seven players. This could be a standard 4-3 (4 down linemen, and three linebackers) or a 3-4 with 3 DL and 4 LBs
    In either of these cases you would have 4 defensive backs (2 cornerbacks and 2 safetys).

In a 5-3 defense, you would have to remove one of you Backfield players and play an 8 man front. This would give you better ability to shut down the running game, but it leaves you vaunerable to the deep pass, so you only see this type of aligment against a team that doesn't throw as well.

Here's some visual aids for you all: (red circles indicate the defensive side of the ball. . . E=End, T=Tackle, NG=Nose Guard, LB=Linebackers, CB=Cornerback and S=Safety
    The Offense is reprsented by the interior line only for reference here.

This is a standard 4-3 Defense (4 down linemen, and three linebackers)

This is what a 3-4 defense looks like. . .note one tackle is replace by a single Nose Guard, and the other Tackle is replaced with an additional Linebacker. . . there are still 4 defensive Backs.

This is the 5-3 Defense you asked about A Palmetto 10
    Here you have to drop one of your defensive backs and bring in an additional Defensive Lineman. Usually you'd drop one of the Safetys, and he would be replaced by a Nose Guard on the line.

There are many other aligments coaches use on both offense and defense but this should give you an Idea about the terminology used when you hear guys talk about "Defensive Front, or certain defensive alignments.
    Last edited by Spurticus; 09-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.

On defense, the basic job of your linebackers (LB) are to back up the Down Linemen on running plays (basically read the direction of the run, then step up to fill in those gap / holes in the line that the running back run through. . . .OR they read the QB and when he drops back into the pocket to pass, they back up into short zones to help the Defensive backs in pass coverage.

A BLITZ is when a coach wants to put pressure on the oppositions quarterback and defensive line in passing situations. When and Who and how many players Blitzing is either called by the Defensive Captain, or by the coaches with Handsignals from the sideline. When this happens, either one or more Linebackers, or defensive backs (or sometimes a combination of both) will start moving up closer to the line of scrimmage during the snap count. . . the Blitzing players try to time the snap and should be close to full speed towards the line when the ball is snapped. The idea is to get through the holes or opening in the Offensive line faster than they can block, or to create a situation where they have 5 men blocking against 6 or 7 men rushing. That way, the Blitzing players should be relitively unblocked and hopefully if it's done correctly, they can drop the QB or RB in the backfield for minus yardage.
    If you guess wrong, or the blitzing players are picked off (blocked) by the running backs long enough to allow the QB to throw a quick pass, then you've left a lot of room in the defensive side of the field and the play will gain a lot of yardage. . . . It's risky to blitz a lot, but some teams do it when they feel a younger or more inexperianced QB or line can't handle the pressure. . but most times you see it done in situations. Meaning in downs where you know the Offense has to pass to pick up a lot of yardage.

Rushing yards? How do you rush? When I think rush, I think in a hurry. LOL.