CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
M.C.
FilchCock
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
markymark550
bigoleCOCK3521
MikeTrainNC8
rabid cock
Regalcock
Shaq Roland (3137)
clemson game time: N (2157)
**USC Women vs. San (1567)
The Defense (1432)
Women's soccer Sweet (1275)
2014 Charleston Clas (1030)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (832)
Mason Rudolph starti (786)
injury report? (547)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
2014 Charleston Classic:
For Discussing The Clemso
Shaq Roland
The Defense
Texans getting frustrated
USC/clemson spread
Melvin Gordon - sets all
2015 Commitment - Marquav
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Tiger Burn

Old 02-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

CockyCash: 500
GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit
Default More negative press for Alshon

After all the scrutiny he has gotten, I hope he comes out at the combine and outperforms every other wide receiver. Not only that, this article states that he is a senior not a junior.

Is Alshon Jeffery in shape for the combine?

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: More negative press for Alshon

We all love Alshon, but the fact is that he had a real problem with separation in several games.

...And many of us were concerned about his weight.

It wasn't just the uniforms being tight by design...

Let's face it, his picture in Sports Illustrated probably caused his stock to drop. He looked like he was carrying a spare tire.

We all know what he is capable of and we wish him well, but the comments in that article are not groundless.

Whoever has the foresight to select him will reap a huge reward...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Chootem
Cock of Truths

Male

CockyCash: 200
Chootem has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post

Whoever has the foresight to select him will reap a huge reward...
Pun intended ?
Chootem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

I don't care about what the media says to be honest. And neither do the scouts. Alshon has 2 real opportunities to shut them up. But it's all money right now. Somebody will draft him. And he will be fine.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Somebody will draft him. And he will be fine.
This is really all it comes down to. Alshon's always had questions about his speed, and people talked about his weight this year. But the guy just makes plays when you need him to and can get him the ball. He's going to do fine no matter where he ends up.

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

This is encouraging...

Quote:
"Oh yeah, Alshon's in good shape," said Bethune-Cookman outside linebacker-defensive end Ryan Davis, who's been training with Jeffery in Florida. "He's looking very good out there. He's going to turn a lot of heads. He's a big receiver, but he's not fat. I laugh when I see that on TV. He's been smirking. I bet he runs a 4.5. He's way down in his weight. He's between 217 and 220 right now."
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Any teams that pass on him will regret it. I've never felt as sure about one of our players being a great NFL player as I do about Alshon.

Not that the draft experts should care what I think. But I'm excited to watch his NFL career unfold.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

^^^ Ha. Bull. I don't believe someone that's actually been there. I'll believe someone that has "sources" instead.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537809048022286
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

'

I suspect Alshon will shine just fine!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
We all love Alshon, but the fact is that he had a real problem with separation in several games.
Not a fact. An opinion that overlooks a number of factors, including our play orientation, 2-deep coverages, and a lot of film that shows hom open and not thrown to or just plain missed.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Not a fact. An opinion that overlooks a number of factors, including our play orientation, 2-deep coverages, and a lot of film that shows hom open and not thrown to or just plain missed.
And the fact that he thrives on catching the ball with defenders hanging all over him. He's like Michael Irvin in that I think he prefers the defender to be on him because he knows when they both go up for the ball he's got more body control and is less likely to get knocked off balance. We've seen it from him time after time against the best DBs in the SEC or the country for that matter. Whether they played for Bama, Florida, Georgia, the guy for Nebraska, FSU whoever, he always looked like a man amongst boys. The Bama guy had one of his arms pinned and he said "fock it" I'll catch it with one hand.

He's going to be a great player. Can't wait to see it.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
And the fact that he thrives on catching the ball with defenders hanging all over him. He's like Michael Irvin in that I think he prefers the defender to be on him because he knows when they both go up for the ball he's got more body control and is less likely to get knocked off balance. We've seen it from him time after time against the best DBs in the SEC or the country for that matter. Whether they played for Bama, Florida, Georgia, the guy for Nebraska, FSU whoever, he always looked like a man amongst boys. The Bama guy had one of his arms pinned and he said "fock it" I'll catch it with one hand.

He's going to be a great player. Can't wait to see it.
Pts sent. good post.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can also show you a significant amount of film where he didn't get off the line and gave up.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #14
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
really? well do you want to tell us what games you were watching? the early garcia games? because the games i am watching right now, has him being covered like a glove, missing balls going right through his hands, and several other close balls that he didn't even try to catch. and still other plays where he left lattimore hanging on some crappy blocking. those are the facts. he lost his work ethic in the off-season after the 2010 season, and he seemed to only give 100% every once in a while. he was a great wr in 2010, and he can be again if he gets his old work habits back. but if the wr who played for us in 2011 shows up at the combines, he will be laughed right out of the first round.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
LimpCock
Blackout

Male

CockyCash: 13758453
LimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPitLimpCock rules the CockPit

220? doubt it.. not that it matters though

LimpCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Rumors may start for stupid reasons, but when one gets this much attention and legs then where there is smoke, there's fire.

He's fortunate for the combine and has every chance to increase his stock. If he is in shape then prove it, if not then it will be shown too.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Alright.. Alshon obviously didn't have the same year as last year and basically had an identical year to his freshman year

Having said that, he was still relatively on pace this year with last year in terms of receptions/yards so statistically it's not fair to say he had a bad year.. granted, you could argue the lack of receptions is because he wasn't open but let's be honest, we had to change a major part of our offense in losing both Garcia AND Lattimore. I believe this is what had a major portion to do with the year he had. Was he in tip-top shape? I don't know, maybe not, but he still did his job no matter what. Miss State, Tenn., Arky, and Florida are the only games this year he was averaging less than 10 ypc.. and it memory serves a lot of the receptions he got in those games were screens so that probably had a bit to do with it.

Too many base their opinion on one dang picture and assume "oh, well he's just a lazy,fat, unmotivated player" to which I have to say, do you really think our S&C coaches would let him get that far out of shape? I don't. Granted, they can only do so much, but come on..

Did he get the separation that is generally ideal with today's WO's? Probably not; however, he is not a speedster like.. Mike Wallace for example.. but I don't remember him ever really being one to begin with. How soon we forget that he was in New York last year up for the Biletnikoff, now all these "couch scouts" want to downgrade his potential because of what they WANT to find wrong rather than the production and situational variables.

Just my take on it..
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/090...n-indianapolis

More news on Alshon.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1022824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Tori Gurley's leaving early hurt Alson more than anything else. Without Gurley, no one else stepped up opposite Alson and he got hammered with coverages all year. And unlike Garica, Shaw did not have enough belief in Alshon to throw the ball even when he was covered. Maybe it made Shaw a better QB than Garcia, but it hurt Alshon's numbers.
And there is no doubt that Alshon showed up in the fall toting some extra weight across the middle. But in his defense, he did look like a different guy in the bowl game. Too bad that punk Pellini sacrificed his own guy to get rid of him.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

I doubt this will hurt Alshon too much. Hell, Dez Bryant's mom turned tricks and he still got picked in round 1