CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
markymark550
NinjaSven
Gamecocks1137
l^l^lBGCock
Lonnie
CoverTwo
johnnyb
PageUSC
Rivalry Thoughts and (2908)
How is Shaq Davidson (1466)
This would be awesom (1189)
Perspective on our g (1109)
Currently 2nd in att (821)
SEC referees? (708)
Defense and offense (505)
Alshon - Bose (497)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (461)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (304)
Brad Lawing
Playstation 4
How cool would it be to..
We Have to Pass
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
weekend conference Predic
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Name a Gamecock
Alshon - Bose
Perspective on our game f

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly
Default Move Shaw to WR for senior season

Here are the reasons why:

1. Improve his NFL draft potential. He does not have the size or arm strength (velocity, not distance) to be an NFL QB.
2. He played WR his entire life up until his JR? year of high school.
3. We have a lack of WR production outside of Ace and Bruce.
4. Very similar to McKinnley: former high school QB, tough as nails, high football IQ, shifty, quick but not a burner
5. He will probably miss spring practice.
6. It would put more play makers on the field at one time: Thompson, Shaw, Sanders, and Ellington
7. He would still be available to slide over to QB and run the zone read play 4 or 5 times a game like he has been doing.
Gamecock History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Move Shaw to WR for senior season

It takes guys we recruit for receiver at least 2 years to get ready to play, and Connor Shaw is going to get reps after ONE Fall practice? Highly unlikely. Plus what spot is he going to play? He won't start at any of the 3 spots.

Wow.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
CockyBoiler
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 105882
CockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talonsCockyBoiler has developed his gaff and talons

nothing to see here
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It takes guys we recruit for receiver at least 2 years to get ready to play, and Connor Shaw is going to get reps after ONE Fall practice? Highly unlikely. Plus what spot is he going to play? He won't start at any of the 3 spots.

Wow.
I think Shaw probably has a pretty good understanding of the playbook and where he would need to line up at any receiver spot on the field. He is a film room junkie and super high football IQ. If Bruce can play 2 sports and figure it out I think Shaw wouldn't have any problem. I think he is the 2nd best athlete on the field behind Clowney.

You don't think he would start at any of the 3 spots??? Who in the world is our 3rd WR after Bruce and Ace? And I think he would probably be the best of the 3 by mid-season in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

We WILL run a 2 QB system next year, no doubt about it. Spurrier isn't going to let Thompson sit on the sidelines now knowing what he can do when Shaw isn't connecting on passes. So why not have them both on the field at the same time and still have the ability to let Shaw take snaps at QB in certain situations.

In other words, have Shaw cross-trained at 2 positions so that he is not sitting on the bench when Thompson is in at QB.

Of course all of this is if Nosovitch is ready and capable to step in if need be.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock History View Post
I think Shaw probably has a pretty good understanding of the playbook and where he would need to line up at any receiver spot on the field. He is a film room junkie and super high football IQ. If Bruce can play 2 sports and figure it out I think Shaw wouldn't have any problem. I think he is the 2nd best athlete on the field behind Clowney.

You don't think he would start at any of the 3 spots??? Who in the world is our 3rd WR after Bruce and Ace? And I think he would probably be the best of the 3 by mid-season in my opinion.
Its not just understanding the playbook. Its understanding route running concepts and coverages, its knowing what spot to be on the field. Receiver in Coach Spurrier's offense isn't something you just hit the ground and run. It takes time, A LOT of time to get to a point where you play without thinking about where to go.

And HELL NO he wouldn't start at any of the 3 spots. Ace and Bruce have the starting X and Z spots locked down and Nick Jones will be the starting B with Kwinton Smith likely to get into a timeshare there. Shaw wouldn't play the B, he would likely be a Z and we have a logjam there.

If Connor Shaw is the 3rd best receiver on our team (which he is not), we have major issues.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Its not just understanding the playbook. Its understanding route running concepts and coverages, its knowing what spot to be on the field. Receiver in Coach Spurrier's offense isn't something you just hit the ground and run. It takes time, A LOT of time to get to a point where you play without thinking about where to go.

And HELL NO he wouldn't start at any of the 3 spots. Ace and Bruce have the starting X and Z spots locked down and Nick Jones will be the starting B with Kwinton Smith likely to get into a timeshare there. Shaw wouldn't play the B, he would likely be a Z and we have a logjam there.

If Connor Shaw is the 3rd best receiver on our team (which he is not), we have major issues.
Don't you think the QB knows the routes since he is the one throwing the ball to the spots on the field?

Yes, we have a major issue at WR, especially if Ace goes early this year.

You obviously don't think very highly of Shaw as an athlete. You do realize that our all leader at the WR position didn't play the position until he got to USC.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Don't you think the QB knows the routes since he is the one throwing the ball to the spots on the field?

Yes, we have a major issue at WR, especially if Ace goes early this year.

You obviously don't think very highly of Shaw as an athlete. You do realize that our all leader at the WR position didn't play the position until he got to USC.
Nope.

No, we don't have a major issue at WR. We have a load of talented young players that are developing.

Shaw doesn't have the time to learn the position. ONE Fall practice. It took Kenny McKinley a little over a year to develop.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:

Ok, let me first say that I agree with you on the topic of moving Shaw to WR for his last year, but the first part of this post of yours is kind of silly, C2. Isn't the QB the first one who is supposed to know the playbook and be able to read the defense/coverages? Would Shaw suddenly lose this ability because he had changed positions? Again, I think it's a bad idea to move him since he's a successful QB, but the logic of your response is a fail at best.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Ok, let me first say that I agree with you on the topic of moving Shaw to WR for his last year, but the first part of this post of yours is kind of silly, C2. Isn't the QB the first one who is supposed to know the playbook and be able to read the defense/coverages? Would Shaw suddenly lose this ability because he had changed positions? Again, I think it's a bad idea to move him since he's a successful QB, but the logic of your response is a fail at best.
If you don't think there wouldn't be a significant adjustment, I don't know what to tell you. Again, ONE Fall practice.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Shaw was hurt all season and is still 17-3 as a starter. Let him play his senior season as a fully healthy QB and see what he can do. I think Spurrier will run a 2-QB system next season because we have 2 proven QBs with completely different styles of play. Shaw would never see the field as a WR, zero chance. We are very deep at that position. I agree that he would know the playbook and know what he is supposed to do/where he is supposed to be on paper, but that does not mean that it will translate to the field. These WRs practice route running all day, every day and build mutual chemistry with the QBs. Shaw is not a college football WR or some schools would have recruited him for it. Maybe the eagles should have moved Michael Vick to WR.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:

Who would be the #2 QB behind Thompson if you move Shaw to WR ?
A Redshirt Freshman with NO game experiance, or a True and Untested
Freshman ? ... Before you answer that, remember all the noise that
came out of workouts about how Great Tanner McEvoy was doing.

You want to put our starting QB with a 17-3 record as a starter at WR
(a position he hasn't played since his Jr Year in High School), lose
valuable reps and study time as a QB, then back up Thompson with two
untested Freshmen ?

Sorry ..... We are in the best position at QB in my lifetime as a Gamecock
fan (and that's a long time). Destroying that by moving Shaw to WR
is NOT (repeat) NOT a wise move.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Who would be the #2 QB behind Thompson if you move Shaw to WR ?
A Redshirt Freshman with NO game experiance, or a True and Untested
Freshman ? ... Before you answer that, remember all the noise that
came out of workouts about how Great Tanner McEvoy was doing.

You want to put our starting QB with a 17-3 record as a starter at WR
(a position he hasn't played since his Jr Year in High School), lose
valuable reps and study time as a QB, then back up Thompson with two
untested Freshmen ?

Sorry ..... We are in the best position at QB in my lifetime as a Gamecock
fan (and that's a long time). Destroying that by moving Shaw to WR
is NOT (repeat) NOT a wise move.
That is ridiculous. No one is sending Shaw to the moon. If Thompson gets hurt or struggles Shaw moves back over to QB. Nosovitch would only play if Thompson and Shaw got hurt, which would be the same scenario if Shaw stayed solely at the QB position.

This isn't something crazy. Holloman moved back and forth from safety to linebacker, Legree from safety to corner, etc.
Hell, Corey Jenkins moved from QB to linebacker in the NFL.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
That is ridiculous. No one is sending Shaw to the moon. If Thompson gets hurt or struggles Shaw moves back over to QB. Nosovitch would only play if Thompson and Shaw got hurt, which would be the same scenario if Shaw stayed solely at the QB position.

This isn't something crazy. Holloman moved back and forth from safety to linebacker, Legree from safety to corner, etc.
Hell, Corey Jenkins moved from QB to linebacker in the NFL.
No, what's crazy is suggeting you take reps and film study away from our
Starting QB and have him start practicing a position he hasn't played
here in three years and if he doesn't cut it, he can (just go back to
being our QB if Thompson gets hurt) ?!?!? losing a full off season of
work as a QB to try to develop him as a WR makes ZERO SENSE !

If Thompson proves he's the better QB before the Season starts next
year SO BE IT... Put Dylan in as our Starter. If Shaw continues to
win and prove he's the starting QB, then Thompson continues to make
that position strong as a Solid #2 guy, but if you think Shaw can lose
reps at QB for an entire summer, Practice at WR in the fall and TRY to
make it as a WR on this team, and then will perform just as well as he
normally does IF Thompson can't cut it or goes down is Beyond Crazy.

The Outback Bowl should have proven one thing to everybody. We have
what might be the best one/two punch at QB in the SEC (maybe even
the entire country). We don't need to experiment that out of the equation.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

The offseason has officially started.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Move Shaw to WR for senior season
No
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Free post!
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

No.
Instead, have two capable QBs we can interchange.
We finally have QB depth and you want to blow it up.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Wow, we have a player that is 17-3 as a starter and just finished the season ranked 9th in the COUNTRY in passing efficiency and you want to change his position? All I can say is wow.

Dylan may end up being the starter next year. Spurrier will get that decision and they both have proven they deserve a shot. But last time I checked, you need more than one person at each position.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Wow, we have a player that is 17-3 as a starter and just finished the season ranked 9th in the COUNTRY in passing efficiency and you want to change his position? All I can say is wow.

Dylan may end up being the starter next year. Spurrier will get that decision and they both have proven they deserve a shot. But last time I checked, you need more than one person at each position.
This!! For the win!!!
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote