CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
ertman420
sc455
2000grad
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
Victor Hampton Arrested
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
how has more ESPN anounce
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Joeckel Transfering from
2015 - Clelin Ferrell

Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
1801Green
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous1801Green is making other chickens nervous
Default Will Spurrier risk starting Mitch in game 1 next year?

I have a sneaking suspicion that SOS is going to start Connor Mitch next year starting with game 1. Not trying to start a parallel thread, because it's not a question of whether Dylan will start. If I am Spurrier, I might be willing to groom Mitch , post an 8-4 type of season, so he can have a sophomore QB that can play 2-3 years and take our program to the next plateau.

I don't think Spurrier's sold on DT, and it sounds like Connor Mitch is the real deal. If SOS thinks we have an Aaron Murray type prospect with Mitch, it might be worth it to solidify that position for 2-3 years of an elite QB.

It's a deal I would take. I think Spurrier will too.
1801Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Should Spurrier start Connor Mitch and be prepared to lose a few to build the pro

a lot will ride on the Spring and Fall practice. I would guess DT is QB1 for 2014 reg season at this point, but a long way to go.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit
Default Re: Will Spurrier risk starting Mitch in game 1 next year?

I think that they love what Mitch can do but this is not the same situation that we had 5 yrs ago. we have 3 deep talent and if he isn't ready they don't have to play him.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Unless something crazy happens this spring and fall practice, I can't imagine SOS not giving preference to a 5th year senior that has played pretty well in games for the most part instead of a RS freshman that hasn't played 1 snap.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Remember Coach Hunt? Coach has a loyalty streak a mile long. Yes, he always says that we're going to play our best. But that comment is nearly always tempered by his loyalty. I suspect that Mitch would have to be significantly more effective than Dylan to balance things out.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Anything at this point is just a guess.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Nope. We play the best players to win in 2014. That is what you do. Put the players that have earned the right to start and give you the best chance to win the game. No way you sacrifice a current season in hopes it better positions you next year. No way no how!
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Nope. We play the best players to win in 2014. That is what you do. Put the players that have earned the right to start and give you the best chance to win the game. No way you sacrifice a current season in hopes it better positions you next year. No way no how!
Exactly. Start the players who give you the best chance to win like we always have. So if Connor Mitch shows he's the starter, then he will start. Spurrier isn't going to just give it to Dylan because he has game experience.

I actually think Nosovitch is better than most are giving credit for. He's got some wheels and an arm to match.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

It will be decided in the summer. Spurrier has always had the policy that the best player will play the position. Dylan has played well when he's been put in, that's no doubt. But if Mitch shows Spurrier that he's better before the season, he's going to start him. That's what he's always done.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
It will be decided in the summer. Spurrier has always had the policy that the best player will play the position. Dylan has played well when he's been put in, that's no doubt. But if Mitch shows Spurrier that he's better before the season, he's going to start him. That's what he's always done.
This! SOS doesn't care what year you are or how long you have been around. You win the job in the spring and summer, and you play in the games.
doc
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1801Green View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that SOS is going to start Connor Mitch next year starting with game 1. Not trying to start a parallel thread, because it's not a question of whether Dylan will start. If I am Spurrier, I might be willing to groom Mitch , post an 8-4 type of season, so he can have a sophomore QB that can play 2-3 years and take our program to the next plateau.

I don't think Spurrier's sold on DT, and it sounds like Connor Mitch is the real deal. If SOS thinks we have an Aaron Murray type prospect with Mitch, it might be worth it to solidify that position for 2-3 years of an elite QB.

What are you smoking and can I have some?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

If Dylan and Mitch are even, I'm sure Dylan's seniority will get him the coin toss, but if Mitch is noticeably better, he'll get the nod.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Spurrier is not going to groom a QB at the risk of an 8-4 season, just for kicks and giggles. Next year's offense has the potential to be the best in school history, and I think you would want a fifth year senior being the guy who runs that offense. At this point, the job is probably Dylan's to lose, and I think it would take a bad spring/summer from him and a great spring/summer from Nosovitch/Mitch to overtake him.

Quite honestly, I think if Mitch is the starter from game one, he had one hell of a spring/summer, one that resembles remarks made about Jameis Winston last spring.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
CockyTrader
Walk On

Male

CockyTrader has hatched from the shell

I've been a Coach Spurrier fan for over 20-years and his QBs have to have as much mental ability as physical ability -- maybe more. He would never be able to tolerate an 8-4 season (anything less than the best a team can do this year) for a hypothetical next year. I think Dylan has a huge head start but I've also seen Coach get disgusted, think something like, "How many more times do I have to tell him the same thing(s)?" and move on. I agree with those who said unless something unexpected happens Dylan should be #1 going into next Fall.

But what a great "problem" to have, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Spurrier is not going to groom a QB at the risk of an 8-4 season, just for kicks and giggles. Next year's offense has the potential to be the best in school history, and I think you would want a fifth year senior being the guy who runs that offense. At this point, the job is probably Dylan's to lose, and I think it would take a bad spring/summer from him and a great spring/summer from Nosovitch/Mitch to overtake him.

Quite honestly, I think if Mitch is the starter from game one, he had one hell of a spring/summer, one that resembles remarks made about Jameis Winston last spring.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
BlueHerons
Recruit

Female

BlueHerons has feathers coming inBlueHerons has feathers coming in

Quote:

Step away from the crack pipe.......
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Willing to post an 8-4 season instead of 10 plus wins and a chance at the east?

Are you willing to sacrifice your balls for a larger dong?

No.

You will see Dylan as the primary QB, BN and CM will play a lot to. BN brings the zone read into play more, CM will play the same role as Dylan giving defenses more to account for. Might see more than 1 QB on the field at the same time

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake-cityCOCK89 View Post
Are you willing to sacrifice your balls for a larger dong?
Yes

Well maybe one ball
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Yes

Well maybe one ball

Funny how THIS answer comes from a guy with the name "spareparts"

No way Coach starts a guy just to groom him. It is true that Aaron Murray started and played all four of his seasons at Georgia, but it was because he was their best QB.

If Mitch wins the Spring and Fall workouts and scrimmages significantly AND he knows the entire playbook and defensive tendencies...he will start. If he doesn't then Dylan will get the nod.

Also don't count out Nosovitch, because that guy is ALSO a highly rated QB coming out of high school and he has some of the same qualities that Connor has.

Anything at this point is purely a guess....but since there's little else to talk about now that the SEASON IS ALL BUT OVER...then bring on the fluff threads.

Right now I'll say Dylan will start and depending on how he does, Noso would be #2 and Mitch #3...right now. All could change by the end of Spring. But EVEN THEN I would think that if things are relatively equal that Spurrier would challenge Dylan to work hard over the summer of 2014 to prepare for Fall and then go from there. In my opinion A LOT would have to happen for Dylan not to get the start at the beginning of next season.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Not sure who will start but it will be the person who he thinks will give the team the best chance to win next year without a single thought of 2015!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 661
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

*facepalm, how about getting through Spring ball before we have this discussion?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote