CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
acejrock
NJCocky14
roosterdude21
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8055)
Super-Efficient Ax (334)
South Carolina @ Aub (288)
BREAD (269)
Starz Black Sails (174)
Dress shirt help (172)
BREAD
Connor Mitch
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2015 - Auden Tate
Josh Cunningham Power For
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
2016 - Greg Little
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Cockdiesel7
4-Star
 
Cockdiesel7's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 289
CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default College Athletes

Hey guys, I don't know if I'm violating any rules but if I am sorry; but I just wrote a persuasive speech in my speech class on why college football players should be paid. Ill post it for y'all to see, and I can take some constructive criticism but I mainly want to hear yalls opinions on the subject and if you agree or disagree with my speech. Click on the link of the videos to watch them and the times of the video that I'm going to play for my actual speech are on there. This is the outline

Title: College Football Players: Should They Be Paid

Introduction

I. Attention Getter: Eric Legrand. [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMklSv_VlxE] A nineteen year old; bringing in millions of dollars to Rutgers University. In fact Rutgers in that year made 52 million dollars from just their football team according to ESPN. Eric legrand played on that football team in 2008 when he was paralyzed and will never walk again. Marcus Lattimore [video :07-:31,:50-1:33 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGQr0VhtSg] was the number one running back in the country coming out of high school and twice tore ligaments in his knee costing him millions of dollars from the draft. The team that Marcus Lattimore was on in 2012 brought in 80 million dollars in revenue according to southcarolina.247 sports.
II. Listener Relevance: Many of you if not all of you have watched a college football in your lifetime, and if you enjoy it as much as me you will spend all the money you have to watch your team play
III. Thesis: So today I want to tell you why college football players should be paid money not just scholarships
IV. Preview: I will show you the risks they take playing football, Why scholarships arenít enough, and the revenue football players bring in for the school.

Body

A. First Main Point: The risks college football players take
a. As you saw in the two videos I showed two players; one Eric Legrand, and two Marcus Lattimore both suffered devastating injuries. One was paralyzed and the other tore a main knee ligament, then the next year tore 3 of the 4 main ligaments in one knee and dislocated his kneecap.
b. But the injuries can be worse. A pro football hall of famer Junior Seau received so many concussion throughout his career he developed something called CTE, which is something that develops in the brain from repeated blows to the head and causes impulsivity, forgetfulness, depression, [and] sometimes suicidal ideation according to Dr. Russell Lonser, chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University. Seau committed suicide in 2012 at the age of forty three leaving behind a wife and three kids. Yes playing pro football added to the disease but started while he was in college playing football
Transition: These young adults go through the possibility of these types of injuries to entertain us and bring in more money per year for their school than we will ever make. Yet they only get scholarships

B. Second Main Point: Why Scholarships arenít enough
a. They spend hours on hours a week practicing so they can provide good entertainment for us by winning.
b. With all that time spent practicing they are unable to work or bring in any type of paycheck
c. Most college football players come from a poor family that can barely provide for themselves much less give their kid who plays college football some money so he can buy some stuff for himself

Transition: The argument is invalid to say they get free school so thatís their pay because of the revenue college football players bring in for their school [video 0:00-1:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD5oa_rE_80 ]

C. Third Main Point: The revenue college athletes bring in for their school
a. The best College Football program in the United States is the University of Alabama. In state tuition for one year according to Alabama university.edu is 24,606 dollars for in state. Out of State is 39,106. Most of their players are from out of state, so yes they do receive a lot of money from scholarships but, the football team brought in 124.5 million dollars in revenue in 2012.
b. University sell player jerseys for anywhere between 65-90 dollars, for example one of the greatest college football players ever Tim Tebowís jersey mostly contributed to the 6 million dollars the University of Floridaís athletic department made off of selling football Jerseys

Conclusion

I. Thesis Statement: Today, I showed you why college football players should receive more than just scholarships
II. Main Point Summary: I have showed you the risks college football players take for free, why scholarships arenít enough, and the revenue football players bring in
III. Activation of audience response- Maybe next time you watch a college football game, or you hear about a college football player obtain a life altering injury you think about why those young men should be paid
IV. Closure: College football players put their lives on the line week in and week out for our entertainment so maybe the next time you do hear about a major injury you can be the one to step up and explain why they should get paid
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,364
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Cockdiesel7
4-Star
 
Cockdiesel7's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 289
CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
I will agree with that,but then you have people in the military because of the money not because its their passion. but thanks for the input
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Cockdiesel7
4-Star
 
Cockdiesel7's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 289
CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
And coming from a kid struggling with college expenses and realize how much tuition can be (anderson university) and making minimum wage I still believe they should receive more
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
TheGarnetArmy
Banned
 
TheGarnetArmy's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space
Posts: 109
CockyCash: 500
TheGarnetArmy has hatched from the shell
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free. What about the schools that actually do not make millions do they not get anything for putting their lives on the line? The % of players that make the NFL is about 2.5%, what about the other 97.5% of players? No one makes a kid play college football, they sign a contract before ever stepping on the field and know exactly what they are putting on the line. College football players get more compensation then a ton of men who work for minimum wage and put there lives on the line everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan.....it is a flawed debate!
To be fair, just like with football, people in the military know what they're signing up for.
TheGarnetArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
3MTA3
Starter
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,339
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
First they do not play for free and second they risk the same thing in high school are we going to pay those athletes since they actually play for free.
are high school players banned from receiving benefits? I honestly do not know.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Lalli25
Household Name
 
Lalli25's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Centreville, Va
Posts: 7,118
CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
are high school players banned from receiving benefits? I honestly do not know.
Yes they are. A high school player must be an amature, in every league I have heard of, to play on their schools team.
__________________
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
3MTA3
Starter
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,339
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Yes they are. A high school player must be an amature, in every league I have heard of, to play on their schools team.
Well, I suppose the fact that they are still minors could be used as justification, but once someone is considered to be an adult by the state, I just cannot justify rules that prohibit that adult from benefiting from their own likeness or abilities, like every other adult in the country.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Lalli25
Household Name
 
Lalli25's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Centreville, Va
Posts: 7,118
CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Well, I suppose the fact that they are still minors could be used as justification, but once someone is considered to be an adult by the state, I just cannot justify rules that prohibit that adult from benefiting from their own likeness or abilities, like every other adult in the country.
Not true. It is just like a lawyer signing an non-compete clause. Their is no law by the State or Country saying they can't do it, it is the firm/school they are at saying they can't do it. It really isn't a hard concept to get. If someone wants to create a minor league and pay football players, then go for it, but as long as the college and the NCAA run it and kids continue to play for it, they can set the compensation rules as they wish. It is just like the 3 years until declaring for the NFL draft, that isn't an NCAA rule that is a NFL rule. The NFL has the right to put requirements, that are reasonable, on those prospective employees.
__________________
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Tim Taylor
Banned
 
Tim Taylor's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 273
CockyCash: 500
Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit
Default Re: College Athletes

If they want to be paid to play sports then they have plenty of other options. We - fans, the people with the money - make them valuable. If we as a nation suddenly decide we don't give a shit about football and that we all will love cricket or jai alai, then it won't be because of this athlete or the other. We created the need, they just fill it.

They get paid what they are worth.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
b381l
Heisman Candidate
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 19,821
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
If they want to be paid to play sports then they have plenty of other options. We - fans, the people with the money - make them valuable. If we as a nation suddenly decide we don't give a shit about football and that we all will love cricket or jai alai, then it won't be because of this athlete or the other. We created the need, they just fill it.

They get paid what they are worth.
So you think it's fair that colleges and universities should be able to make millions on them from various sources and all they get is an education.....how are the players getting their fair share of that. Don't misunderstand, I'm not in favor of them getting rich while being a college student. But I have absolutely no problem with them getting 5-10 k per year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Tim Taylor
Banned
 
Tim Taylor's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 273
CockyCash: 500
Tim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPitTim Taylor rules the CockPit
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
So you think it's fair that colleges and universities should be able to make millions on them from various sources and all they get is an education.....how are the players getting their fair share of that. Don't misunderstand, I'm not in favor of them getting rich while being a college student. But I have absolutely no problem with them getting 5-10 k per year.
Are you really this ignorant?

They get free housing, free food, free healthcare, free clothing, free transportation, in addition to get various monthly and weekend stipends.

They get paid. If they don't like the deal, then they can't opt out at any time. They aren't slaves. They knew exactly what they were being compensated with when they signed the letter of intent.
Tim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
3MTA3
Starter
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,339
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
Are you really this ignorant?

They get free housing, free food, free healthcare, free clothing, free transportation, in addition to get various monthly and weekend stipends.

They get paid. If they don't like the deal, then they can't opt out at any time. They aren't slaves. They knew exactly what they were being compensated with when they signed the letter of intent.

Again, they're not slaves- they are indentured servants.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Lalli25
Household Name
 
Lalli25's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Centreville, Va
Posts: 7,118
CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Again, they're not slaves- they are indentured servants.
No they aren't either. They can back our on their letter of intent at any time, like TT just said.
__________________
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star
 
TwoNotch Dreams's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia
Posts: 443
CockyCash: 500
TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Again, they're not slaves- they are indentured servants.
Oh lord.

-Free education
-Free food
-Free housing
-Free books
-Free clothes
-Free transportation
-Free gym use
-Access to a network that only some could dream of.

Oh, and they have a chance for their skills to be showcased in front of a worldwide audience with a chance to be multi-millionaires after 3 seasons. Plus, there are PLENTY of professors at USC who give student athletes (especially football players) special treatment. If you're a football player, you have to be a complete moron to fail a class. I know football players who slept their way to a C in classes. If you're somehow doing poorly, there's an endless group of tutors who will essentially do your work for you and make you pass.

Did I mention that they won't have to pay any student loans? Scholarship athletes are already treated like royalty.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,011
CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
If they want to be paid to play sports then they have plenty of other options. We - fans, the people with the money - make them valuable. If we as a nation suddenly decide we don't give a shit about football and that we all will love cricket or jai alai, then it won't be because of this athlete or the other. We created the need, they just fill it.

They get paid what they are worth.
It's not like it is some God-given right to be able to play sports for profit. No one is forcing this deal on any of the college athletes because they CHOOSE to take it. The NCAA doesn't want to pay players because, it is a not-for-profit entity with a mission of using athletics as a way to provide educational opportunities to more people. It doesn't want to be a pro league and it is it's right not to be that. There is also issues with corruption, and fair play, point-shaving scandals and such the NCAA is trying to fight. Why do you think the NCAA has all these strict rules for recruiting and benefits? Because itt wants to keep reasons for an athlete choosing a school legitimate reasons like, I can get a good education here, I can stay close to home, I can develop my talents here because I think I fit this system better, I have better chance to win a championship here, etc... It doesn't want illegitimate choices like, I can get a bigger instant payoff if I go to this school or that, or I can get better sponsors at this school or that. Or what kind of contract can I negotiate at this school vs others? Can I hold out for more money when I start playing better? The NCAA doesn't want to deal with all that, and it is not equipped to. This is why it needs to stay an amateur league. And just because some institutions make a lot of money and the little guy doesn't, that doesn't really matter. Universities are technically charities, but they pay out their money. They are charities because they benefit society buy providing and improving educational opportunities. Furthermore, what about the cashier at McDonalds, the guy paving roads for the government, the intern working for absolutely nothing but experience and training at a big company? There is nothing new or unusual about an the arrangement the NCAA has, where the little guy does all the work and get's a pittance and some big wig get's rich. College atheltes are not pro athletes yet, they are just apprentices, and willing ones. Is that such a bad thing?

Those are the arguments you need to try to shot down. You can't just argue from a proponent's point-of-view. You need to try to try to shoot down all your opponent's arguments as well if you want to make a good argument.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
3MTA3
Starter
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,339
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's not like it is some God-given right to be able to play sports for profit. No one is forcing this deal on any of the college athletes because they CHOOSE to take it. The NCAA doesn't want to pay players because, it is a not-for-profit entity with a mission of using athletics as a way to provide educational opportunities to more people. It doesn't want to be a pro league and it is it's right not to be that. There is also issues with corruption, and fair play, point-shaving scandals and such the NCAA is trying to fight. Why do you think the NCAA has all these strict rules for recruiting and benefits? Because itt wants to keep reasons for an athlete choosing a school legitimate reasons like, I can get a good education here, I can stay close to home, I can develop my talents here because I think I fit this system better, I have better chance to win a championship here, etc... It doesn't want illegitimate choices like, I can get a bigger instant payoff if I go to this school or that, or I can get better sponsors at this school or that. Or what kind of contract can I negotiate at this school vs others? Can I hold out for more money when I start playing better? The NCAA doesn't want to deal with all that, and it is not equipped to. This is why it needs to stay an amateur league. And just because some institutions make a lot of money and the little guy doesn't, that doesn't really matter. Universities are technically charities, but they pay out their money. They are charities because they benefit society buy providing and improving educational opportunities. Furthermore, what about the cashier at McDonalds, the guy paving roads for the government, the intern working for absolutely nothing but experience and training at a big company? There is nothing new or unusual about an the arrangement the NCAA has, where the little guy does all the work and get's a pittance and some big wig get's rich. College atheltes are not pro athletes yet, they are just apprentices, and willing ones. Is that such a bad thing?

Those are the arguments you need to try to shot down. You can't just argue from a proponent's point-of-view. You need to try to try to shoot down all your opponent's arguments as well if you want to make a good argument.

OK, how about this...

college athletes are the only adults in the US who cannot profit from their own signature and/or likeness.

Now, tell me why that is an acceptable fact.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #18
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....
 
GamecockNeal's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Back in South Korea!!
Posts: 2,653
CockyCash: 3683
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

I like the layout but let me offer some tips. Some of it seems to be too far grounded in personal beliefs and opinions and not fact. While I am sure there is a high number of student athletes who dont come from high income homes, you need to be able to provide facts and I dont mean from wikipedia.

You also need to acknowledge the other side of things. You need to address why others feel they shouldnt be paid. Use that as your basis for your paper. You need to be able to acknowledge, address and refute with evidence otherwise it is just an unfounded personal belief paper.

Also, I personally do not think athletes should get paid. I feel this way for many many reasons, the largest being the cost of college, especially private colleges, books, food, dorms, etc. That means no loans. This is even heightened by the fact that as you say, many people come from poor homes= pell grants, more FA, etc. Do I think these athletes get shafted based on how much money they bring in, yeah, they probably do a bit. However, life isnt fair and the rest of us had to pay our college and take out loans, etc.
__________________
GamecockNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #19
ktguen
2nd Team All-American
 
ktguen's Avatar
 
Female

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 7,957
CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Athletes

Your whole argument is focused on football. And that's fine if that's what you want to focus on, but be prepared for people to bring up how unfair or unreasonable it is to only pay players in one sport.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
Cockdiesel7
4-Star
 
Cockdiesel7's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 289
CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default Re: College Athletes

thanks for the feedback
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development