CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Gamecocks1137
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2086)
Have you ever been s (1313)
Tennessee Offense Br (830)
Key for 2015 defense (802)
Women's Team Ranked (534)
Skai Moore out for U (488)
This season and recr (449)
Lebron makes Clevela (355)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (244)
For all the uniform (205)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In

Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Latt4Gov
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb
Default Name 3 Things.....

That you would like to see change in College Football. This can be rule changes, player requirements, or changes specifically related to Gamecock Football such as gameday traditions and so on.

And then throw in one over the top thing that has virtually no chance of ever happening.

Mine would be the following.

1. Targeting - I think there has to be some adjustments to the rule. While I think it's a good rule, I think it's causing a lot more injuries with players having to basically learn to tackle all over again. To add on to it, if a player is deemed after review that he didn't launch, pick up the damn flag.

2. Heisman Considerations - if you wanna hold the most prestigious trophy in football, you should be at least a Junior. Not a redshirt Sophomore. A Junior.

3. 8 Team Playoff - It to me just makes more sense. With the 4 team playoff "Cinderella" will still not make it. I think the Cinderella team this year would've been UCF. Give fate a shot. It would be good for College Football.

My Never would happen would be-

Have a week dedicated for any team wanting a shot at the playoff to "challenge" a team that is already in the playoff. To keep it from being a fiasco, the challenging team would have to have no less than 2 losses. And the game would be considered a wild card played in the challenged opponents stadium. For example,

This below is totally hypothetical but, for examples these are the teams involved.

This years playoff teams.

1. FSU
2.Auburn
3.Stanford
4.Bama

We could've challenged Stanford for their spot. If we win, we're in.
If OSU wanted a shot in they could've challenged Bama.

If the playoff were set to 8 teams I would say give the No 1 seed a bye.

What you guys think? I'd love to hear others opinions on this.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Name 3 Things.....

Pass Interference needs to be a spot foul.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Pass Interference needs to be a spot foul.
This is one of the things I don't like about the NFL. I just don't think a penalty should be worth 50 yards.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
This is one of the things I don't like about the NFL. I just don't think a penalty should be worth 50 yards.
I think its crap when you have a receiver down the field about to make a play and he gets mugged by the defender and the defender is only penalized for 15 yards. I mean shit, defensive coaches tell their corners to grab if they get whipped off the LOS. That isn't right.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
I think its crap when you have a receiver down the field about to make a play and he gets mugged by the defender and the defender is only penalized for 15 yards. I mean shit, defensive coaches tell their corners to grab if they get whipped off the LOS. That isn't right.
lol I agree with that one too. Guess I'm kind of in the middle on the pass interference call... I'd much rather it only be a 15 yard, automatic 1st though instead of a 50 yard gain.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Latt4Gov
4-Star

Male

Latt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his combLatt4Gov is developing his comb

Quote:
Great point.....

If a receiver has flat out beat his cover guy, and the ball is there and the defender makes a last ditch all out tackle on the guy, it should be a spot foul.

It's hard to intelligibly argue your point.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt4Gov View Post
Great point.....

If a receiver has flat out beat his cover guy, and the ball is there and the defender makes a last ditch all out tackle on the guy, it should be a spot foul.

Loose ball fouls, any that come to mind, are not spot fouls.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
dumpyloser
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 994
dumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt4Gov View Post
Great point.....

Didn't read the entire thread but this makes sense as a judgment (and possibly reviewable) call. If the defender makes no attempt to play the ball then it's a spot foul but if contact occurs naturally yet excessively in the pursuit of the ball then it should be 15 yards like it is now.

I don't watch NBA now but I'm pretty sure they used to have rules for intentional fouls. Not necessarily flagrant just intentional.... anyways I think the refs being able to make a spot judgment that is reviewable only by coach challenge or within 2 minutes by the booth...
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
But that is a different foul until the ball is in the air, then it becomes PI. If they were to tack on a flagrant/intentional foul, that would make it 30 yds, they might stop doing that. Of course, in HS, there is no automatic first down for PI anymore

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yep. In the CU game, the defender for them that mugged Roland on the play that should have been ruled a completion committed the penalty 40 yards down the field. Roland DID catch it anyway (although it wasn't ruled that way). The defender's actions were the only thing that kept the catch from being routine, so why should he and his team be rewarded for breaking the rules?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would agree with the change if only PI determined via replay not idiot officials and more emphasis placed on offensive interference.

Also if it's offensive interference the same penalty.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

I'm sick of all the rule changes to the detriment of the defense.

1. Offensive face mask, e.g., stiff arms to the defender's face mask.
2. Targeting 15 yards only and ultimately determined via replay.
3. 5 yard incidental contact to the head, no automatic first down.
4. PI ultimately determined via replay.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Have to agree with you on this one. I don't like the idea of the offense gaining possibly that much yards and not earning it.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

CockyCash: 500
SC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talonsSC Tag has developed his gaff and talons

My changes would have more to do with players:

1. NFL Draft - Players should not have to wait three seasons to be eligible for the draft. If the NCAA is not going to pay players they should not be forced into a three year mandatory unpaid internship.

Also, every year players should be able to enter the NFL draft and if they go undrafted and still have eligibility should have the ability to return to school.

2. Transfers - Players should be able to transfer to any school outside of their current conference and be able to play the next year. If coaches can go wherever they want players should be able to do the same.

3. Year to Year Scholarships - I think these are absurd! The fact that a coach can sign a player to a one year deal, like this is the NFL, and then cut them is ridiculous.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tag View Post

1. NFL Draft - Players should not have to wait three seasons to be eligible for the draft. If the NCAA is not going to pay players they should not be forced into a three year mandatory unpaid internship.

Also, every year players should be able to enter the NFL draft and if they go undrafted and still have eligibility should have the ability to return to school.

2. Transfers - Players should be able to transfer to any school outside of their current conference and be able to play the next year. If coaches can go wherever they want players should be able to do the same.

3. Year to Year Scholarships - I think these are ridiculous! The fact that a coach can sign a player to a one year deal, like this is the NFL, and then cut them is ridiculous.
One remark, the NFL Draft rule, is by the NFL not the NCAA, so not something the NCAA could change. I like the way this is done in college baseball, where they can be drafted and still decide to come back, and that you can go straight out of HS but if you go to college you have to wait 3 years.

Concerning rule 2, I thought I saw something recently that transfer rules either were about to change or someone had brought it up to have it changed to allow something similar.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

1. Remove targeting. If you wanna throw a flag, fine but when you review it and it's not don't award the offense 15 free yards!

2. Playoff needs to be 8. Top 4 conference champions based solely on SOS. (FSU would not be a top 4 seed if it were this year because their SOS is 63rd according to Jeff Sagarin of USA today. Baylor is slightly higher than them) Then 4 more lower seeds regardless of conference. No maximum from any 1 conference.

3. Some kind of monetary compensation for student athletes not being able to work to have money to buy things they need. Yes they bring in tons of money for their schools but they are still students and don't deserve any extra than normal students do just because they are more known.

4. My long shot. Have football's version of the NIT tournament. Pick the next 8 seeds and have their own playoff to see who is the best of the rest.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #17
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

Rule changes:

1. PI should be a spot foul

2. No stopping the clock to reset the chains on first downs

3. When a defender recovers a fumble or INT, they are not down unless they are touch (NFL rule)

These are all NFL rules but I think they should apply to college also. If you think about it, a good bit of college players will be moving on to the NFL so it would only make sense to play by those rules.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Latt4Gov
4-Star

Male

Quote:

3. Year to Year Scholarships - I think these are absurd! The fact that a coach can sign a player to a one year deal, like this is the NFL, and then cut them is ridiculous.

I like number 2 and 3. With number 1 I agree and disagree.

To the average college student, college at a major university is massively expensive. Granted the big time players make a ton of money for each school. I think that either you should pay the players a flat determined rate of money and give them the option to get out after 1 or 2 years.

On the other hand, let's face it. Not all College Athletes are going to become doctors. I don't wanna sound salty or rude but, some of these guys are flat out dumb. Football is the only reason that they are in college. Everyone knows that whether they want to admit it or not.

I would rather force college athletes to fulfill their requirements of a full ride scholarship. Don't pay them anything since they are receiving free education housing and so on. But, force them to take Finance. Teach the kids how to manage money properly and really prepare them for the future. Paying a College Athlete makes them happy for 4 years. Giving an under privileged kid that would've never made it to college a 4 year education is irreplaceable. Maybe after four years they will have instilled in them the proper ground work to become successful men and women in life.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Latt4Gov
4-Star

Male

To the mods, sorry.

I was sorta torn on which room to post in since it could relate specifically to Football.

My b y'all!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:

That could really affect the quality of the college football games.