CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
Latti
Travelin
B-G
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
Decommitment from Te (1662)
2014 Subway Classic: (1225)
Cleveland Browns Hea (999)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Former Gamecock root (746)
Props to Eric Hyman. (559)
Four USC Basketball (534)
Franks boy's are pla (401)
Bowl packages (299)
5 apps to turn your (282)
2015 Commitment - Quandes
Franks boy's are playing
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
So, why is next year goin
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Former Gamecock rooting f
looks like we have 2 OL r

Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default A Music Giant Has Died

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/03/showbi...il-everly-dies

He and his brother were Marines...little known trivia addition for you.

Sad day for those of us old enough to remember their music and how big they once were.

Their harmony was the best the music industry ever knew.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: A Music Giant Has Died

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Sad news indeed
Back in the very early days (pre teen years) I remember hearing my mom
play The Everly Brother's records on the stereo along with Chuck Berry,
Jerry Lee Lewis etc.... I was surrounded by different genres and tastes
in music during those years from all the grownup members of my family,
and learned to appreciate it all over time, but my mom's taste in music
was where I got my line and love of Rock and Blues from in my teen years
and beyond. The Everly Brothers was a part of that, and anytime a part of
that era dies, it kindles those memories and how much I miss and appreciate
the pioneers of early rock n roll.

R.I.P. Phil Everly. You may be gone, but you are immortal through the
music you and your brother gave to the world
Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

This reminds me of a story involving one of the Everly's most well known songs.

The first song ever publicly performed by three young boys who grew up to be the Bee Gees, was supposed to be a pantomime of "Wake Up Little Suzy". Barry (age 9 at the time) was so nervous, he dropped the record and it shattered.

But since the show must go on, he and his twin brothers Robin and Maurice (age 7 at the time) went up on the stage and sang the song from memory.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Cathy's Clown was always my favorite song of theirs.
Just another group in "Rock n' Roll Heaven".....if you believe in forever, then life is just a one night stand.

Ray Price a couple of weeks ago.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Cathy's Clown was always my favorite song of theirs.
Just another group in "Rock n' Roll Heaven".....if you believe in forever, then life is just a one night stand.

Ray Price a couple of weeks ago.
cathy's clown and when will I be loved are my favorites by them
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

more of a legend

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

They were incredible.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Who?? (I guess I am showing my age)
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Phil Everly sang harmony with his older brother Don. They are considered to be the best musical duo, ever, with perfect harmony never matched. Both of them wrote many of their own songs, many of which have been covered for 50plus years by many artists. They began as children musicians and singers, with their parents on their own small radio shows,

They were among the first class inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and also are in the Country Hall of Fame.

They were friends with Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Sam Cooke, Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, and many others. In fact, after Buddy Holly died in the plane crash, the brothers took the Crickets to be their back up musicians for a year and a half.

They had almost 30 top forty hits in their career with well over half of them in the top ten, including several #1's, although the very peak of their career was only from 1957-1962.

They toured around the world many times, but broke the act up in 1973 and did not speak to each other for ten years, but finally reconciled and had a brief revival of interest in their music when Paul McCartney wrote them a song which prompted the reunion.

Warren Zevon broke into the music business as a roadie for the brothers. Years later, Don called Warren up out of the blue and said, 'You should write a song. Call it "Werewolves of London". Warren was like, "OK?". End of conversation.

The brothers were huge influences in Britain and remained popular long after the British Invasion hit America, which made most American music at that time lose popularity. The Beatles had toyed with the idea of naming themselves "The Foreverly Brothers".
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are you old enough to remember American Bandstand on TV live from Philadelphia.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just a couple from them during their prime