CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
GarnetBlack&Blue
Acockolypse Now
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
JerseyBird
Regalcock
Spurrier_Superior_On
gromweat
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (1934)
All of our defensive (1790)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1614)
Uniform thread (1534)
Cack's Toast of the (1528)
Rankings (1438)
3-4 "D" Ke (1193)
Will Devin ever suit (976)
Update: Brison Willi (507)
Update: Brison Williams i
Best Store bought Spaghet
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Not a talent issue
Over reacting?
Men's soccer vs. Clemson
Kenny Hill arrested
Gamecock football Long Te
Defense making adjustment

Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
GSC2013
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
GSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his comb
Default Would Clemson ever fire Swinney over USC losses if they keep going?

Many of my friends are Clemson fans, and honestly, quite a few have said they didn't like that shot Swinney took at USC in the bowl celebration. They said that Orange Bowl win meant so much to them after what happened in the West VA game, and they just didn't think it was the time or place to try to knock back at Spurrier. And I agree. Spurriers was post-game also, but, his just had a different tone to it.

Spurrier has obviously gotten to Swinney and that program.

I ask, would the losses to USC ever get Swinney fired?

What if USC beats Clemson in 2014? 2015? What if this streak starts pushing 7, 8, even 10 games?

Would it ever get to a point that Swinney could be winning 10 games a year, but, at say 7 straight losses to USC he may lose his job over it?

Some may say it is hypocritical, but, Swinney's comments were way more out of line than Spurriers. The win meant so much more to Clemson's program than USC's. USC won another New Years bowl over a BIg10 team. 3rd in a row. Great win, but, not program defining.

The Orange Bowl, for Clemson? The history of that bowl, that team, and their performance there 2 years ago.....no reason Swinney should've even had USC on his mind at that moment. But he did.

And in a funny way.....its great for USC.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
mercjason
Loving being a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 400
mercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spursmercjason has earned his spurs
Default Re: Would Clemson ever fire Swinney over USC losses if they keep going?

no, swinney is safe as long as he has 9+ wins and national respect. As soon as that is gone, though...

"Cameron Newton is eligible at Auburn University. Period. End of story," Auburn coach Gene Chizik- Justice Served, Gene!
mercjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Good question, I think if it gets to 7 he is in trouble (especially since he is returning shots at Spur). The ACC may be week overall, but CU is a good team; at present FSU is better. CU can't win the ACC w/o beating FSU, and can't have any NC dreams w/o beating FSU and SC (I think an ACC team will have to be unbeaten to make the 4 team playoff). I think Bowden having success vs. SC extended his tour at CU but he failed in other areas. I do find it strange DS can beat an SEC team the same year that team beats SC (Auburn, LSU, and GA), but can't get the job done vs. SC. I personally wish he would do less talking.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

In all reality that would be stupid. If he can keep getting to BCS bowls and conference championships, that's what matters. As a fan thats hard to understand sometimes.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Dabo should keep his mouth shut. He simply doesn't have the wit to verbally spar with Spurrier. He just makes himself look more and more like an idiot when he tries.

Dabo would be wise to take another job if he gets offered. The ACC will be tougher in the next few years and without Tahj, I think their luck is about to run out. Especially if Chad leaves.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

This next years game and season may be the most interesting one in a while for both schools with talent that is leaving.

What has Spurrier done to keep his job? Beat Clemson?

We haven't been able to get the job done vs SC but we have won a conference championship and a BCS Bowl. SC has beat Clemson but hasn't won a CC or BCS Bowl.

As long as both schools are winning 10+ games a year, nothing will change job wise.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
This next years game and season may be the most interesting one in a while for both schools with talent that is leaving.

We haven't been able to get the job done vs SC but we have won a conference championship and a BCS Bowl. SC has beat Clemson but hasn't won a CC or BCS Bowl.

As long as both schools are winning 10+ games a year, nothing will change job wise.
11 wins three years running, bringing in top talent... oh, and beating Clemsum FIVE years in a row.

Boast all you want about winning a BCS bowl, but damnit you know you didn't deserve to be there over a team like SC, but it is the stupid 2 team per conference limit that got you there.

Spurrier is recruting at a high level, winning games, and a lot of his players are going to the NFL.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
11 wins three years running, bringing in top talent... oh, and beating Clemsum FIVE years in a row.

Boast all you want about winning a BCS bowl, but damnit you know you didn't deserve to be there over a team like SC, but it is the stupid 2 team per conference limit that got you there.

Spurrier is recruting at a high level, winning games, and a lot of his players are going to the NFL.
The rule is dumb. Mizzo probably should have been in over both CU and Bama. As the playoff system establishes itself and eventually grows in # it will likely include more than Conf champs. If CFB wants to maintain the " every week counts" status the current system has birthed then it must some how reward those who achieve in said regular season and do so by rewarding significant advantages such as byes to Conf champs over div winners and home field to div winners over the rest ect.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #9
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
The rule is dumb. Mizzo probably should have been in over both CU and Bama. As the playoff system establishes itself and eventually grows in # it will likely include more than Conf champs. If CFB wants to maintain the " every week counts" status the current system has birthed then it must some how reward those who achieve in said regular season and do so by rewarding significant advantages such as byes to Conf champs over div winners and home field to div winners over the rest ect.
I don't get this every week counts. In the NFL it counts until a team is locked for a bye, and/ or home field advantage which most of the time is determined by the last 2 games. Want to know how you stop this in the NFL? Make inter-division games count more, and put them as the last 6 games of the season.

In College it will always be important each week because there are 10 different conferences, and each team will be striving to win each game to get to the highest seed possible. Linking bye weeks, and home field advantages to conference champs is a bad way to go imo. Keep it with SOS, and the best record, let conference champs get a lock in the tournament, but let the best team get the #1 seed, even if they so happen not to be a conference champ. If a 9-3 USC beat a 12-0 Auburn in 2010, I would say Auburn would deserve a higher seed than USC wouldn't y'all?

I do think a 12-24 team playoff with bye weeks is a good incentive to keep each game more important each week though.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Quote:

What has Spurrier done???

Are you serious or just plain dumb. Three straight 11 win seasons in the toughest conference in America. Building a top ten football team at a school that all the other 'experts' said could never win.

Go back to Taternet and whine with the rest of your Tater brothers about how you can't beat Carolina.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
What has Spurrier done???

Are you serious or just plain dumb. Three straight 11 win seasons in the toughest conference in America. Building a top ten football team at a school that all the other 'experts' said could never win.

Go back to Taternet and whine with the rest of your Tater brothers about how you can't beat Carolina.
And first ever SEC Championship appearance.. but I don't think he was trying to rub it in here. I think he is just reversing the question and asking the same for us. And it is a good one. Would beating Clemson and finishing like we have the past few years with no SEC be good enough? Given our history I say yes.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:

I can't believe you just asked that. Do you know our history?
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I can't believe you just asked that. Do you know our history?
I hear ya but the point is, neither coach has put the whole package together. But as long as they are both winning a lot of games and being relevant in the top 25 both are safe.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hear ya but the point is, neither coach has put the whole package together. But as long as they are both winning a lot of games and being relevant in the top 25 both are safe.
Ohio State fired Cooper, the coach before Tressel, because he was winning the big 10 but went like 2-7 against Michigan. If we beat Clemson another. 2 years and they lose to FSU and win all their other games, I could still see Dabo being fired.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Or being retained as the recruiter/ cheerleader in chief. An the quote "what has Spur done." I am also a Gator fan and he had a lot more to work with there. SC has always had some talent and an occasional good team. but was severely inconsistent. Spur has made y'all better and more consistent. I also think the success of the baseball team helped in the confidence area. Dabo and Clemson have some talent but also some consistency issues. If Clemson would have played as consistent as SC in their bowl game, OH ST loses by double digits.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Ohio State fired Cooper, the coach before Tressel, because he was winning the big 10 but went like 2-7 against Michigan. If we beat Clemson another. 2 years and they lose to FSU and win all their other games, I could still see Dabo being fired.
Clemson fans are delusional. They fired Hatfield when he had a 80% winning percentage. They live in the false world that the Clemson program is elite. Dabo encourages that way of thinking. If Dabo does not achieve elite program status--a probability that is growing smaller and smaller as Louisville/Petrino enters and FSU rebuilds under their SEC coach--they will likely send him packing. His rah-rah stuff is going to get pretty old as they slip down the ACC pecking order.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
this
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #18
ATL2001
Walk On

Male

ATL2001 has hatched from the shell

Quote:

82-

Whats your/the other sides' take on how long the "fear the other hand" campaign continues? We pretty much reload next year while you guys will have to rebuild a bit.

So will 7 be the number? 8?
ATL2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #19
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Spurrier doesn't have to worry about getting fired from Carolina, he's a legend and a real coach. Dabo is a glorified recruiter/cheerleader. If he doesn't have Chad Morris, he's gone two years ago.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #20
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

Quote:

"Are you stupid or something?"
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote