CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
COCKYTALKIN
b381l
sanford
thekob
usc1
B-G
TAFC 5 1981
Mt. Lattimore
Master Bedroom
Spurrier vs Saban (1040)
Gurley or Davis (925)
Lattimore Sidelined (874)
Expect A Healthy Dos (733)
Steve Spurrier - Say (530)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (476)
Coach's media golf p (398)
college football mat (306)
South Carolina Footb (289)
A house just blew up (202)
Official SEC Network and
2014-15 Premier League se
Sidney Rice Retiring From
Coach's media golf press
Kansas to invest $75 mill
college football match up
Steve Spurrier - Say What
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Mon Denson


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC
 
yazoo's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 3,942
CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Love him or hate him, former AD Eric Hyman is proud he shook USC out of its rut

Quote:
He had his critics, as all leaders do. But Hyman recognized that USC wanted to be a player in the SEC, and that the old way of operating wasn’t going to accomplish that.

“The two things I was so sick and tired of hearing, was the defeatist attitude of ‘Wait til next year,’ and ‘the Chicken Curse,’ ” Hyman said. “Whatever you think you can be, you can be. One of the greatest things was burying those two expressions.”
Granted he would like to take the credit, but Eric Hyman was not the person that turned it around at South Carolina.

What did he do?

He did not hire Spurrier. That was McGee. In fact, McGee was the AD that did more to get the ball rolling than Hyman. Hyman, after McGee retired, just had good timing.

He did not hire Tanner. In fact, Hyman resisted giving Ray a good raise and risked him getting poached just as he neared the cusp of winning the first National Championship in baseball.

He borrowed a lot of money and upgraded the facilities. So has every other SEC team, including Vandy. The money was going to come to South Carolina because of our conference affliiation.

Hyman did not get us into the SEC. That was King Dixon. Therefore, Dixon deserves more praise for the facility upgrades than does Hyman.

What I would really like to know is how Hyman can manipulate the South Carolina media to give him this free praise? All those years of sucking up to the media and not backing up coaches and players when he was the AD must be continuing to pay off for Hyman.
__________________
"if you don’t have one quarterback then you have none"
--Dabo Sweeney (c. 2014)



Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP
 
Gamecocks1137's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: On The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,409
CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

I agree, most people tend to give him praise before looking at all the facts. The fact is the only thing Hyman did was facility upgrades. Then there was the Darrin Horn debacle.
__________________
"I'd rather be anywhere other than Clemson."

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Glad he took his war chest with him to College Station. Keep in mind he hired Horn over Marshall. He also had a personal vendetta against Garcia. Worst of all he let his wife play Carolina Girls before he 4th quarter at Williams-Brice, should have fired him on the spot for that one!
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC
 
CarolinaGnB521's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,547
CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Glad he took his war chest with him to College Station. Keep in mind he hired Horn over Marshall. He also had a personal vendetta against Garcia. Worst of all he let his wife play Carolina Girls before he 4th quarter at Williams-Brice, should have fired him on the spot for that one!
So, you hate him because of a single hire, a "personal vendetta" against a guy with a history of breaking team-rules, and because he played Carolina Girls during games?



The Horn "debacle" wouldn't have been an issue I guess if he turned out okay. But I guess everyone thinks that he can see the future and wanted to send the basketball program into a hole. Is it even a given that Gregg Marshall would've come here? I think Gregg Marshall is pretty happy he stayed at Wichita State anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I agree, most people tend to give him praise before looking at all the facts. The fact is the only thing Hyman did was facility upgrades. Then there was the Darrin Horn debacle.

What are these "facts"?
__________________
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Sabu1
Walk On
 
Sabu1's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 64
CockyCash: 500
Sabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

At least hyman had a plan to make carolina competitive, unlike the patch it up approach of his predecessors. If mcgee was never given the means to make us succeed, he should have resigned. Where was his approach to facilities? He hired spurrier which was a no brainer. But he hired brad scott which an even bigger abomination than horn. My take on hyman was that his philosophy was to give his coaches the tools to succeed, unlike mcgee who's mantra was that you had to win first before a coach would get better facilities. Was hyman perfect, no? Neither was mcgee and his charming personality. But he had the balls to make the necessary changes needed to get our athletic dept to the next level. It pissed off a lot of folks but we are reaping the rewards of it now.
Sabu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC
 
yazoo's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 3,942
CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu1 View Post
At least hyman had a plan to make carolina competitive, unlike the patch it up approach of his predecessors. If mcgee was never given the means to make us succeed, he should have resigned. Where was his approach to facilities? He hired spurrier which was a no brainer. But he hired brad scott which an even bigger abomination than horn. My take on hyman was that his philosophy was to give his coaches the tools to succeed, unlike mcgee who's mantra was that you had to win first before a coach would get better facilities. Was hyman perfect, no? Neither was mcgee and his charming personality. But he had the balls to make the necessary changes needed to get our athletic dept to the next level. It pissed off a lot of folks but we are reaping the rewards of it now.
Hyman propoganda. McGee certainly upgraded the facilities. He pulled the trigger and got rid of Brad Scott, who was hired by McGee's predescessor not McGee. After Scott, McGee hired Lou Holtz. He also hired Ray Tanner away from NC State. McGee upgraded the facilities, but he did not have as much money as came rolling in through loans and the SEC affiliation as Hyman. Hyman should get credit for upgrading the facilities. But that would have happened anyway IMO.

The thing I don't like about Hyman is his arrogant attitude. The first thing he did when he came in was to trash McGee and Brad Edwards. I never have liked people who think they need to trash their predescessor to make themselves look good. Now, as he has been gone for over two years, here he is trying to take credit for South Carolina's success. Arrogance. Arrogance.

He did not play one down. He did not hire one a great coach at any revenue sport. The jury is still out on Frank Martin. Let's hope at least that part of Hyman's legacy works out.

I forgot about his decision to reject Greg Marshall. I still do not understand how he chose to pass him up.

Oh yeah. It was also his incompetence that got the football team NCAA sanctions due to his misinterpretation of the NCAA rules.
__________________
"if you don’t have one quarterback then you have none"
--Dabo Sweeney (c. 2014)



Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
conwaycock2
Two Deep
 
conwaycock2's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: longs
Posts: 1,007
CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPitconwaycock2 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Hyman propoganda. McGee certainly upgraded the facilities. He pulled the trigger and got rid of Brad Scott, who was hired by McGee's predescessor not McGee. After Scott, McGee hired Lou Holtz. He also hired Ray Tanner away from NC State. McGee upgraded the facilities, but he did not have as much money as came rolling in through loans and the SEC affiliation as Hyman. Hyman should get credit for upgrading the facilities. But that would have happened anyway IMO.

The thing I don't like about Hyman is his arrogant attitude. The first thing he did when he came in was to trash McGee and Brad Edwards. I never have liked people who think they need to trash their predescessor to make themselves look good. Now, as he has been gone for over two years, here he is trying to take credit for South Carolina's success. Arrogance. Arrogance.

He did not play one down. He did not hire one a great coach at any revenue sport. The jury is still out on Frank Martin. Let's hope at least that part of Hyman's legacy works out.

I forgot about his decision to reject Greg Marshall. I still do not understand how he chose to pass him up.

Oh yeah. It was also his incompetence that got the football team NCAA sanctions due to his misinterpretation of the NCAA rules.

Where are you getting this stuff? Quite frankly I quit reading this post after that sentence (bold) because nothing else posted was credible. Mike McGee both fired Sparky Woods & hired Brad Scott. He let Scott stay & completely run the football program so far into the ground that a HOF Coach went 0-11 following this disaster.

Did a good thing & brought in Holtz. Holtz turns things around & decides he's ready to retire. McGee talks a man who has admitted he's had enough into staying. From that point forward things went back downhill.

He made a good hire in Tanner, made a good hire in Spurrier. He made a good hire with Fogler & then totally botched it up with unrealistic expectations about where we were as a BB program.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
So, you hate him because of a single hire, a "personal vendetta" against a guy with a history of breaking team-rules, and because he played Carolina Girls during games?



The Horn "debacle" wouldn't have been an issue I guess if he turned out okay. But I guess everyone thinks that he can see the future and wanted to send the basketball program into a hole. Is it even a given that Gregg Marshall would've come here? I think Gregg Marshall is pretty happy he stayed at Wichita State anyway.




What are these "facts"?
The Horn hire was maybe the single biggest mistake in USC basketball history, it set our program back YEARS! He had one lucky tournament success at WKU. Also has anybody tried to hire Horn after we fired him? Also this hire was made after the mistake of keeping Odom on another year, because he had the media in his back pocket. Garcia has gone "on record" saying that Hyman had a personal vendetta against him. Look how he handled Johnny Football compared to Garcia, difference is Johnny Football has a Heisman. Yea, hating Hyman for Carolina Girls is pretty dumb, but I'm gonna do it anyway for fun. Don't forget he screwed around with Tanner and the baseball program when he got here to, by not giving Tanner a well deserved raise. Tanner almost ended up at Texas A&M.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC
 
CarolinaGnB521's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbia
Posts: 3,547
CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
The Horn hire was maybe the single biggest mistake in USC basketball history, it set our program back YEARS! He had one lucky tournament success at WKU. Also has anybody tried to hire Horn after we fired him? Also this hire was made after the mistake of keeping Odom on another year, because he had the media in his back pocket. Garcia has gone "on record" saying that Hyman had a personal vendetta against him. Look how he handled Johnny Football compared to Garcia, difference is Johnny Football has a Heisman. Yea, hating Hyman for Carolina Girls is pretty dumb, but I'm gonna do it anyway for fun. Don't forget he screwed around with Tanner and the baseball program when he got here to, by not giving Tanner a well deserved raise. Tanner almost ended up at Texas A&M.
Maybe it's just me, but out of everything you just said that DID happen (not including Ray Tanner, because that DIDN'T happen) the only "problem" I see is the Horn hiring. I agree that was dumb, and we could've gotten someone else. But outside of that, I personally don't see a problem.

The Garcia and Manziel situations are completely different in my opinion. Does everyone even know the Manziel situation? Let's take a look at the differences.

Manziel:
- Arrested in 2012 ; pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor (Fighting and Poss. of Fake ID)
- Halloween turned him into internet sensation
- The off-season of partying with superstars and courtside seats
- Casino trip after bowl: Legally gambling
- Online class schedule b/c he couldn't handle going to campus
- Scuff at practice
- Twitter timeout
- Social Media loopholes
- "Over slept" at Manning Camp
- Autograph signing troubles

Garcia:
- Arrested for Failure to stop for a Police Officer and Underage Drinking
- Suspended for keying a prof car
- Ticketed AGAIN for Underage drinking and playing with a fire extinguisher.
- Chick-Fil-A team rules broken
- SEC Leadership meeting suspension
- "Substance abuse test"
- Garcia left program.

So for the record: Manziel got introuble with the law off the field ONCE and all other "troubles" were media based with very little reaction by Hyman or anyone at A&M. Garcia was arrested once, and ticketed twice by the Police, and then suspended a total of 5 times for other team-rules breaking. The final straw being a drug test...

So, if someone could somehow find a way to show me how those two cases are related........
__________________
CarolinaGnB521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but out of everything you just said that DID happen (not including Ray Tanner, because that DIDN'T happen) the only "problem" I see is the Horn hiring. I agree that was dumb, and we could've gotten someone else. But outside of that, I personally don't see a problem.

The Garcia and Manziel situations are completely different in my opinion. Does everyone even know the Manziel situation? Let's take a look at the differences.

Manziel:
- Arrested in 2012 ; pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor (Fighting and Poss. of Fake ID)
- Halloween turned him into internet sensation
- The off-season of partying with superstars and courtside seats
- Casino trip after bowl: Legally gambling
- Online class schedule b/c he couldn't handle going to campus
- Scuff at practice
- Twitter timeout
- Social Media loopholes
- "Over slept" at Manning Camp
- Autograph signing troubles

Garcia:
- Arrested for Failure to stop for a Police Officer and Underage Drinking
- Suspended for keying a prof car
- Ticketed AGAIN for Underage drinking and playing with a fire extinguisher.
- Chick-Fil-A team rules broken
- SEC Leadership meeting suspension
- "Substance abuse test"
- Garcia left program.

So for the record: Manziel got introuble with the law off the field ONCE and all other "troubles" were media based with very little reaction by Hyman or anyone at A&M. Garcia was arrested once, and ticketed twice by the Police, and then suspended a total of 5 times for other team-rules breaking. The final straw being a drug test...

So, if someone could somehow find a way to show me how those two cases are related........
Pauline Hyman is that you? The Ray Tanner thing DID happen! Just contact former voice of Carolina baseball Mike Morgan on twitter. He will tell you that it almost happened, because of the difficulties getting the new baseball stadium under construction in 2005. Which is why he left NC State in the first place. He was closer to Ray Tanner than anybody. I'll take his word over yours. As far as Garcia goes, the keying the car thing was stupid. Other than that nothing was different from Manziel.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP
 
Gamecocks1137's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: On The Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,409
CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
So, you hate him because of a single hire, a "personal vendetta" against a guy with a history of breaking team-rules, and because he played Carolina Girls during games?



The Horn "debacle" wouldn't have been an issue I guess if he turned out okay. But I guess everyone thinks that he can see the future and wanted to send the basketball program into a hole. Is it even a given that Gregg Marshall would've come here? I think Gregg Marshall is pretty happy he stayed at Wichita State anyway.




What are these "facts"?
Did you read the OP's post? Everything people give him credit for except facilities he had nothing to do with.
__________________
"I'd rather be anywhere other than Clemson."

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Did you read the OP's post? Everything people give him credit for except facilities he had nothing to do with.
Thank you.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned
 
Gamecock_Aholic's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere
Posts: 28,149
CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Glad he took his war chest with him to College Station. Keep in mind he hired Horn over Marshall. He also had a personal vendetta against Garcia. Worst of all he let his wife play Carolina Girls before he 4th quarter at Williams-Brice, should have fired him on the spot for that one!
That's funny you say that considering your avatar. You must have liked the Frank hire somewhat.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
That's funny you say that considering your avatar. You must have liked the Frank hire somewhat.
I do like Frank Martin, and I believe he will turn this program around. Although if you give me a choice between Horn and Martin, or just Marshall, give me Marshall a hundred times over. Hyman should have hired Marshall as soon as Odom left.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
southerntramp
Starter
 
southerntramp's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rock Hill
Posts: 1,495
CockyCash: 500
southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Heard that Marshall would never ever be hired here...from his reputation at Winthrop.

Last edited by southerntramp; 01-14-2014 at 12:07 PM.
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntramp View Post
Heard that Marshall would never ever be hired here...from his reputation at Winthrop.
Yeah...that reputation got him all the way to a Final Four, and another shot this year. If this is true, then we will have a crappy basketball program forever. I think Hyman personally had a problem with Marshall, which is why I'm glad he is gone.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
henmania
Game MVP
 
henmania's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,632
CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Yeah...that reputation got him all the way to a Final Four, and another shot this year. If this is true, then we will have a crappy basketball program forever. I think Hyman personally had a problem with Marshall, which is why I'm glad he is gone.
The Marshall issues stemmed not with Hyman but some very influential members of the BOT.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
garnet_black215
31-17.
 
garnet_black215's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 7,408
CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Yeah...that reputation got him all the way to a Final Four, and another shot this year. If this is true, then we will have a crappy basketball program forever. I think Hyman personally had a problem with Marshall, which is why I'm glad he is gone.
You really think we would have made the Final Four if Marshall was our coach?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star
 
spurrierismyhomeboy's Avatar
 


Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 308
CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
You really think we would have made the Final Four if Marshall was our coach?
No, but he is a damn great coach who has had success everywhere he has gone. He has also gone on record in saying he is a USC football fan on numerous occasions. If we would have gotten rid of Odom a year earlier like we should have(warchest), he would be our head coach right now. I guarantee you our program would be in much better shape, and we would have an NCAA tournament win.
__________________

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
Todd803
4-Star
 
Todd803's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 318
CockyCash: 272
Todd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Love him or hate him, former AD Eric Hyman is proud he shook USC out of its rut



Granted he would like to take the credit, but Eric Hyman was not the person that turned it around at South Carolina.

What did he do?

He did not hire Spurrier. That was McGee. In fact, McGee was the AD that did more to get the ball rolling than Hyman. Hyman, after McGee retired, just had good timing.

He did not hire Tanner. In fact, Hyman resisted giving Ray a good raise and risked him getting poached just as he neared the cusp of winning the first National Championship in baseball.

He borrowed a lot of money and upgraded the facilities. So has every other SEC team, including Vandy. The money was going to come to South Carolina because of our conference affliiation.

Hyman did not get us into the SEC. That was King Dixon. Therefore, Dixon deserves more praise for the facility upgrades than does Hyman.

What I would really like to know is how Hyman can manipulate the South Carolina media to give him this free praise? All those years of sucking up to the media and not backing up coaches and players when he was the AD must be continuing to pay off for Hyman.
Dawn Staley? YES plan for a bunch more revenue in football?
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development