CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
garnet_black215
CockyRyan
Regalcock
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
MWard
Clemson Recruiting.. (3320)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1555)
Ranking the Opposing (1411)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1140)
Not a Rival.. (1065)
Gamecock Coaches as (946)
NCAA Football 15 (572)
Hello Gamecocks! (523)
Marching band (450)
John Rocker at rock (353)
2015 - Mon Denson
2015 - Traveon Samuel
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 Commitment - Damon A
John Rocker at rock botto
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Good Article on Auburn's
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Website Design Help
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit

Old 01-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly
Default Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?

Raise your hand if you still turn to the game and get pissed when we lose even though you know we're gonna blow it.

I get so mad when we let games get away, I wouldn't mind if we pulled a Marcus Camby or a Derrick Rose. Can we please just pay off some recruits for ONE great year. I'm talking SEC title (tourney or SEC) and a couple of NCAA wins? I'm so damn sick of pulling for a team that chokes! And this is the only one that has been "rebuilding" for so long. I swear after Devan Downey left and Dominique Archie got hurt we've been toast. How is it that these small schools like Wichita St., Winthrop, Butler, St. Louis, etc. go to the tourney and win games and a major school in SC can't win, but yet we can field title caliber teams in football and baseball year in and year out? It just blows my mind so much.

I know Frank Martin is good. I know this, but I mean this is just so senseless that we can lose this damn close EVERY time. Be on the cusp EVERY time, but NOT THERE EVERY TIME. Don't get me wrong, I love the school, but Jesus how much can you take? The women's team turned it around (different dynamic I know), but it's like this is the major anomaly of our athletic department.
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
Raise your hand if you still turn to the game and get pissed when we lose even though you know we're gonna blow it.

I get so mad when we let games get away, I wouldn't mind if we pulled a Marcus Camby or a Derrick Rose. Can we please just pay off some recruits for ONE great year. I'm talking SEC title (tourney or SEC) and a couple of NCAA wins? I'm so damn sick of pulling for a team that chokes! And this is the only one that has been "rebuilding" for so long. I swear after Devan Downey left and Dominique Archie got hurt we've been toast. How is it that these small schools like Wichita St., Winthrop, Butler, St. Louis, etc. go to the tourney and win games and a major school in SC can't win, but yet we can field title caliber teams in football and baseball year in and year out? It just blows my mind so much.

I know Frank Martin is good. I know this, but I mean this is just so senseless that we can lose this damn close EVERY time. Be on the cusp EVERY time, but NOT THERE EVERY TIME. Don't get me wrong, I love the school, but Jesus how much can you take? The women's team turned it around (different dynamic I know), but it's like this is the major anomaly of our athletic department.
The women made the NCAA's in Dawn Staley's 4th season. This is Frank's second. Frank will turn it around, just like Dawn did.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
The women made the NCAA's in Dawn Staley's 4th season. This is Frank's second. Frank will turn it around, just like Dawn did.
I hope your right, and I agree with his style of coaching. I just hope he isn't such a hot head that it is pissing off the players. Even though I know they need to man up about it.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I hope your right, and I agree with his style of coaching. I just hope he isn't such a hot head that it is pissing off the players. Even though I know they need to man up about it.
I don't want this to come across as exceedingly arrogant, but I know I'm right. I've been to virtually every Carolina home game in the last 32 seasons and Frank WILL turn it around. We'll win a few more games next year and then have a break out season the following year. Please refer back to this post 2 years from now.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I don't want this to come across as exceedingly arrogant, but I know I'm right. I've been to virtually every Carolina home game in the last 32 seasons and Frank WILL turn it around. We'll win a few more games next year and then have a break out season the following year. Please refer back to this post 2 years from now.
Refer back to this post after the SEC tourney, I agree 100%, you can see as Thornwell becomes more comfortable as an aggressive scorer, the team has less "looking at each other to figure out where they are suppose to be on the floor" moments because they know the offense/defense,they learn to pass the ball to teammates where the teammate has the most advantageous position to score and feed the hot hand.
Williams and Thornwell can make their own offense, as the others learn to feed them and feed off them the basket should open up a little more for the big men creating defensive energy on with made baskets. I hope as the team learns the offense and keeps an offensive flow on a consistent basis the refs will not be so whistle happy on Coach Martin's young men.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell

Just have faith. Frank Martin is a great coach. Half the roster are freshman. You can't turn a program around in just two years. Look at Spurrier. His second year with South Carolina, we weren't anything to look at. It took him 7 years to get us our first double-digit win season. I know you can't really compare football to basketball, but you can't turn a program that has basically been nothing better than mediocrity into relevance in just two years. Martin has recruiting line here in the SEC. I have faith that he will turn the basketball team around. Just watch in a year or two, these games that we are blowing at the end will turn into wins.
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Wardkd2012
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 393
Wardkd2012 has hatched from the shell

*Martin has to establish the recruiting here in the SEC*
Wardkd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardkd2012 View Post
If we could pick up that Seven kid.. man we would be set.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
If we could pick up that Seven kid.. man we would be set.
Maybe you could do him the courtesy of getting his name right. Seventh. Not seven.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Maybe you could do him the courtesy of getting his name right. Seventh. Not seven.
Oh, Im so sorry that I was unfamiliar with one of the most unfamiliar names I have ever seen.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardkd2012 View Post

Sorry post was duplicated.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
boowilliam4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talonsboowilliam4 has developed his gaff and talons

Frank is just getting his ball players in to play here. Give the man a chance before you doubt him.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
beak2
4-Star

Male

beak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his combbeak2 is developing his comb

Dawn Staley had a losing record after her first 3 seasons, if I am not mistaken, and Frank Mcguire won 6 games his 1st season here and 11 the next. It takes time to build, why does everyone keep forgetting that.
go cocks!!
beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

This team should have won the last 2 games. Last year this team never had a chance in most games, and not competitive. This team is better, playing mostly freshmen and sophomores. When they learn how to close out games, we will be fine. Made no mistake, closing out games has to be learned, we are just not there yet.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
This team should have won the last 2 games. Last year this team never had a chance in most games, and not competitive. This team is better, playing mostly freshmen and sophomores. When they learn how to close out games, we will be fine. Made no mistake, closing out games has to be learned, we are just not there yet.
Well said!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
Ahmad
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 356
Ahmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudly

We're just a player or two away. I think we need a more athletic big man and a wing player that is a consistent finisher. Those are the two glaring weaknesses that I see with the team.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
jonick
4-Star

Male

jonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudlyjonick is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
We're just a player or two away. I think we need a more athletic big man and a wing player that is a consistent finisher. Those are the two glaring weaknesses that I see with the team.
Point is we can't seem to get those type players to come here.. we'll see what happens..not going anywhere I don't think...
jonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonick View Post
Point is we can't seem to get those type players to come here.. we'll see what happens..not going anywhere I don't think...
IF we can pick up that Seventh kid. His highlights are unreal. We need him, I hope we pursue him with everything we have, or UNC is going to take him from us.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #19
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
IF we can pick up that Seventh kid. His highlights are unreal. We need him, I hope we pursue him with everything we have, or UNC is going to take him from us.
Dozier is a big piece also. The class we have coming in is solid. We just need time to get developed. We lead for Seventh right now, but it's going to be tight until the end.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
Ahmad
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 356
Ahmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Dozier is a big piece also. The class we have coming in is solid. We just need time to get developed. We lead for Seventh right now, but it's going to be tight until the end.
It's thought that UNC leads for Woods