CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
4Runner
kingofnerf
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
Spurticus
ReadR00ster
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3343)
Juco QBs? (1248)
SDS grades the Furma (945)
we can STILL win the (941)
Auburn/USC point spr (858)
How do you want Aubu (754)
Whenever I Get Depre (676)
If the Head Ball Coa (593)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (354)
When did it change ? (265)
Juco QBs?
Cann tipping plays?
How do you want Auburn to
Auburn/USC point spread
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Shamiek Sheppard (2014 Pr
If the Head Ball Coach re
Williams and Mitch
we can STILL win the east
Just started playing &quo

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit
Default ESPN women's team of the week .

Pretty fair assessment , I think . We're still a year away from being a true national contender but Dawn is doing a great job of maximizing the team's strengths while minimizing it's weaknesses .

Team of the Week
South Carolina:

Sure, it wasn't the busiest of weeks, but South Carolina made its lone game count by going to Nashville and showing why it is the SEC's best bet to get back there for the Final Four. Unlike some of its SEC peers, who are great in good times and lost at others, South Carolina is a team with an identity this season in good times and bad. There were some of both Sunday, as Dawn Staley's team committed 24 turnovers and 24 fouls. When things aren't going well, they're still going to get the ball to Tiffany Mitchell, who showed again she can create her own points. They're still going to rebound with Aleighsa Welch, Elem Ibiam and Alaina Coates. And they're going to defend -- put aside Christina Foggie's hot hand and Vanderbilt shot 29 percent at home.

It's possible South Carolina's ceiling -- what it can be on its absolute best day -- isn't as high as Tennessee's ceiling or maybe even Kentucky's ceiling. Trips to both Lexington and Knoxville await, and South Carolina already came up short once on the road at Texas A&M. But what the Gamecocks produce day in and day out, even gritty days like Sunday, matters.
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: ESPN women's team of the week .

I agree with most of that
Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
FLCock89
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2800
FLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudlyFLCock89 is crowing loudly

"the SEC's best bet to get back there for the Final Four"

Reading that puts a smile on my face. Also, later in that article when they are talking about Virginia they wrote, "It was a good week for Staley's alma mater, too, although perhaps she shouldn't get credit for that in what is an increasingly strong candidacy for coach of the year."

Would love to see her get Coach of the Year. She's definitely worthy of the award.
FLCock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

The last two games was the be we played all year. I don't want to hear about the turnovers and fouls because they were BS. The team played great.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
The last two games was the be we played all year. I don't want to hear about the turnovers and fouls because they were BS. The team played great.
It absolutely was not. You can not just overlook something like all of the turnovers and fouls that we committed in that game. The first game against Vandy and the game against UK at home were probably our best.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
It absolutely was not. You can not just overlook something like all of the turnovers and fouls that we committed in that game. The first game against Vandy and the game against UK at home were probably our best.
I am overlooking the "turnovers" because I watched the game very close, and the majority of those "turnovers" were terrible calls. Offensive fouls for our offensive players touching their defenders. 3-second calls for being 2-seconds in the lane. 50-50 lose balls being called against us 90% of the time. Meanwhile they are manhandling us all game on defense and in the day an age of "Freedom of movement" they call a bunch of offensive fouls on flop after flop after flop and they didn't have 1 player with 4 fouls while we had one foul out and 3 others with 4. Wake the heck up. That was not a normal game. We walked into a trap and escaped it. Yeah, we threw a few bad passes, lost the dribble a couple of times, maybe 1 charge was actually legit. But it was a lot less LEGIT mistakes by our team than usual.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am overlooking the "turnovers" because I watched the game very close, and the majority of those "turnovers" were terrible calls. Offensive fouls for our offensive players touching their defenders. 3-second calls for being 2-seconds in the lane. 50-50 lose balls being called against us 90% of the time. Meanwhile they are manhandling us all game on defense and in the day an age of "Freedom of movement" they call a bunch of offensive fouls on flop after flop after flop and they didn't have 1 player with 4 fouls while we had one foul out and 3 others with 4. Wake the heck up. That was not a normal game. We walked into a trap and escaped it. Yeah, we threw a few bad passes, lost the dribble a couple of times, maybe 1 charge was actually legit. But it was a lot less LEGIT mistakes by our team than usual.
I have to agree with you on that officiating. Definitely seemed to work in the favor of Vandy.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Bunch of BS calls for sure. There were two traveling calls that were crap, a couple shooting fouls called for no contact at all, at least one charge called when the defender left her feet, and a whole bunch of foul calls for incidental contact that weren't being applied on both ends. Even some muggings underneath that were let go. Makes me wonder why the court was tilted Vandy's way.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Some things I believe, many I don't.
I believe this team will be a work-in-progress all season long.
I believe the Lady G's will be a shutdown team by season's end.
I believe AC has a most marvelous Gamecock's heart for she gave us a glimpse of it yesterday.
I believe I will see, feel & taste poetry-in-motion one more time 'fore I die - this time wrapped in a skirt.
14, 15, 16?? Don't know, but the stars are aligning & the tapestry is forming.
I believe old Gamecocks never die; they just become a part of the tapestry we call Gamecock Heaven.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Only reason we lost to TAMU was due to missed foul shots. We missed a ton and it was still close.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

We still need to shore up several areas if we want the best opportunity to capitalize on having the best year we can have: free throw shooting is still shaky and at times a liability - I feel we are improving in this area, as the team is shooting the best it has under Staley since the very first year when we shot 67.7% (and won 10 games altogether). We're at 64.9% overall and shooting 67.5% in SEC play which means we're improving as the season moves along. Let's hope we continue this....

In conference play (through 7 games thus far), USC is 13th in the SEC in team steals, 14th in turnover margin and 11th in turnover to assist ratio. The assists are decent (middle of the pack), but only Auburn has committed more turnovers in conference play than the Gamecocks have.

All other team statistical categories USC either leads the SEC or are among the leaders, so these areas really need to improve if we want to have a chance at the end of the season, during the SECT, and in advancing deep into the NCAAT. That's going to be a tough gauntlet in the final 5 games (@ LSU, @ UK, and @ UT) with all of those teams at the top of the SEC standings, and we need to finish the season strong to set up a good run in the postseason....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #13
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

The thing that I like about this team is that it's a reflection of Coach Staley. Tough, in your face defense that shows up every game. They play good d both on and off the ball. Offensively, we are ok and we seem to understand our strengths and do a good job of attacking our opponents weaknesses. With our returning players and the ones coming in, I think we will see our offense continue to improve. I look forward to watching this team reach levels that we have not seen here before.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 914098021
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Best thing about our situation, I believe we have a lot we can improve on before tourny time.....

We may be a year away, but don't try and convince this years team of that!