CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
IBleedGarnetandBlack
Spurticus
ZenUSC
ReadR00ster
peterlemon
Cockypantherfan
Kyle76
bcolinc
Nick Chubb (6385)
East Carolina Predic (3187)
A&M on 3rd down (1577)
All of our defensive (1173)
louisville (975)
Spurrier Presser (858)
Uniform thread (777)
Cack's Toast of the (735)
Spurrier: Davis Will (600)
Rankings (573)
Uniform thread
Spurrier Presser
2015 - Amonte Caban
Rankings
Not a talent issue
East Carolina Prediction
3-4 "D" Keep it
All of our defensive play
Brison Williams Out..
Cack's Toast of the Game:

Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Walking Dead Question

New to the show, watching it for the first time tonight. Quick question, why doesn't anybody get in a car and drove out of that town?
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Walking Dead Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
New to the show, watching it for the first time tonight. Quick question, why doesn't anybody get in a car and drove out of that town?
for what purpose?

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

its worldwide, not just isolated to one town/state/nation

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Gotcha. The show doesn't give any information as to how widespread it is.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Gotcha. The show doesn't give any information as to how widespread it is.
well...you are jumping in 4.5 seasons in, that is discussed in the first (maybe hit on again in the second)

Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

Thanks Johnny.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Thanks Johnny.
just giving you a hard time man, if you have netflix the first 3 seasons are availablr streaming there, if not they are floating around on the web

Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

The scope is addressed. To summarize it (I think they discover this during the first season) the virus is airborne and worldwide (if I'm not mistaken). That said, anyone that dies, whether they're bitten by a walker or not, will eventually turn into one. So technically all of the characters in the show (and presumably any other survivors in the world) are pre-infected.

The car situation is the same problem as there is now - no gas. They had cars for a while and still do from time to time, but they eventually have to ditch them for some reason or can't drive anywhere worthwhile (because of abandoned cars blocking roads, zombie hordes, etc etc).

If you want to get the full effect from the show start from the beginning. It doesn't matter if you jump in the middle with a sitcom because every episode is different and they don't rely on plot continuity and character development. You wouldn't start Breaking Bad in season 4 and expect to know what's going on, so why do it with Walking Dead? As stated above, Netflix is your friend and time should be made. You can watch it on smartphones, computers, and tablets too.

Note: Especially since you started with last night's episode, I doubt you enjoyed it very much. It was nothing but character development between Carl and Rick, and then Michonne's personal character development. She's known as the typical badass with her katana sword and rarely shows weak emotion (crying, sympathy, etc) and last night was the first time anyone got a glimpse into her personal life since she was introduced as a new character in season 2 or 3 that came out of nowhere (the woods, to be exact).
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
qock
Recruit

Male

qock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spurs

I want to know who does the lawn at the house Rick and Carl stayed in during the episode last night. It looked really well taken care for a place that's been suffering from the zombie apocalypse for a while.
qock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

It's pretty much to the point of the show where they walk around and almost get eaten once an episode. Nothing really happens. I absolutely loved the Walking Dead and still enjoy it sometimes. But I think it peaked at the CDC. That was the only time they've ever hinted at figuring anything useful out. Now it's just run, hide, and survive. We know the main characters, and we know who's not going to die. And most of them piss me off (except Darryl) enough that if they died, I wouldn't care. The one episode last season where Rick followed that gypsie lady for literally over half the episode, and then nothing came of it really angered me and furthered my loss of interest.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
THE Cock
Voted Best Poster 2009

Male

CockyCash: 1450
THE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talonsTHE Cock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
It's pretty much to the point of the show where they walk around and almost get eaten once an episode. Nothing really happens. I absolutely loved the Walking Dead and still enjoy it sometimes. But I think it peaked at the CDC. That was the only time they've ever hinted at figuring anything useful out. Now it's just run, hide, and survive. We know the main characters, and we know who's not going to die. And most of them piss me off (except Darryl) enough that if they died, I wouldn't care. The one episode last season where Rick followed that gypsie lady for literally over half the episode, and then nothing came of it really angered me and furthered my loss of interest.
Exactly. This show has been heading nowhere for the last 2.5 seasons. Nothing happens. The acting is laughable. Character development is nonexistent. Oh and to answer the OP's question, them leaving town would require AMC to pay for a new set to be built.

THE COCK ABIDES
THE Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit
Default Walking Dead Question

I'm not trying to say it's great, Breaking Bad was ten times better. Personally I think TWD relies too heavily on cheesy effects and zombie clichés, but it's still entertaining at times. I'm defending it from the people that think an episode of dialogue, self reflection, and subtle hints at what's to come is an episode where "nothing happened." Not a TV snob, just a media arts student.

To prove my point, one of my textbooks defines character development as "the patterns through which characters move from one mental, physical, or social state to another in a particular film/series." All three states were present in the 2/9 premiere:

Mental - Michonne becoming emotional and reminiscing about her past life when things were normal (the first time the series showed anything about her past, if I'm not mistaken). Carl also showed that he learned some new words when he cursed and let out some frustration on his dad.

Physical - Carl appears a little aged and now stands taller than Rick, who is weak and on the verge of dying. Carl led the duo the entire episode, opposite from how Rick led them in seasons past.

Social - Carl & Rick's new relationship. I also think the end of the episode showed that Carl didn't really mean all that he said during his rant.

Last edited by nin_usc_freak92; 02-11-2014 at 01:29 AM.
nin_usc_freak92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

TWD does move super slow at times, but I understand they are trying to milk it out for as long as they can. I like it and it is the only show that I watch the same night as I DVR it. Breaking Bad was a good show, but it had plenty of slow moments as well. A show can be guilty of over-character development as well. Game of Thrones fits this type of show to me.

Revolution is another show that I've watched from the beginning that also drags stuff out. Nothing will ever beat Lost in my book for dragging things out and making no sense. I wasted so much time in my life watching that show when it was originally on air, but I still enjoyed the ride.

Even you are not a comic book person like me, you have to read the comics if you are a fan on TWD. Go get the two compendiums from Amazon and you will enjoy TWD so much more.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Just went through 4 seasons in 5 days. I have to say, this show is not boring at all. Time will tell what happens with TWD, but something tells me there is only 3 or 4 more seasons left. They are close to a cure. The scientist with the military guy, knows something, but why no one has asked him what still baffles me.

He said he knows how all of it started, ok in season 5 episode one, will someone please ask him what he knows! /end rant
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #15
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Just went through 4 seasons in 5 days. I have to say, this show is not boring at all. Time will tell what happens with TWD, but something tells me there is only 3 or 4 more seasons left. They are close to a cure. The scientist with the military guy, knows something, but why no one has asked him what still baffles me.

He said he knows how all of it started, ok in season 5 episode one, will someone please ask him what he knows! /end rant
Well, I don't think Eugene knows anything, but I think he wants everyone to think he's important so they'll help protect him. Just an opinion, though.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #16
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Well, I don't think Eugene knows anything, but I think he wants everyone to think he's important so they'll help protect him. Just an opinion, though.
That's my thought on that also...but I don't want to pull out spoilers for the OP.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #17
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Rick, Glenn, Carl and Maggie all seem to be the main characters. Shows were dedicated to Carroll, and what not. But these 4 I assume are the main characters, oh and don't forget Darryl. I just can't see AMC killing off Rick, guy has been there for 4 seasons, but who knows. He is literally the main guy. He has saved more ass than Wilt Chamberlain has had.

When Rick took the bite out of that guys neck to save his kid, and the others on the road, I knew then in there this guy would take a hundred bullets before he ever gave up. Not sure why people think Andrew Lincoln is a bad actor, he has done pretty damn good in my book.

Just cannot wait for season 5. I like what he said in the end. "They just don't know." Then army guy says, "don't know what?"

Rick : They dont know they just messed with the wrong people.

I knew that Terminus was too good to be true, but a part of me wanted to think it was ok. When Rick put that gun to that guys head, I knew that something odd was up.
Damn, Im a Walking Dead Fanatic now, lol.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #18
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

That last episode was pretty cool with how they focused on Herchel and his pocket watch, then later in the show Rick draws on the guy who has the watch. Pretty cool how that season wrapped together in the end. I really wish they would have gone with the original line in the comic in the end, but they wasted their one F bomb on Carl mouthing off to his dad.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114308514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I don't get all the disdain for the show. It's not the best thing on but it is pretty good and nothing is quite like it on tv right now. Right now it would be my fourth favorite show after...

1) GOT
2) Fargo
3) Silicon Valley (although the first season ended already)
W. D. had a pretty good buildup and better ending this past season. I was entertained.

As far as the language. It's hard to pull a show off like this on regular cable considering the subject marterial. Fargo should be difficult too but they are knocking it out of the park anyway.

I generally enjoy the shows on the premium channels for this very reason. They are restricted and can take the gloves off whenever they choose. One of the reasons I enjoy Strike Back on Starz more than 24.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I don't watch TV other than sports really. Most of it is mind-numbing crap. That said, I enjoy TWD bc I'm fascinated by primal nature. Strip us down from the technology and "advancements" and find out what we are. The dynamics between people are great.

Season 1 was BY FAR the best, imho. The last few seasons have been too focused on other groups and that's a recipe for stagnation.

Meet group - trouble ensues - kill half of them - run away---fight again later WITH ZOMBIES.

I hope they really change it up.