CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
uscjeremynca
Acockolypse Now
b381l
MACXIMVS
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
Lonnie
Spurticus
auslander
Blake McClain (1265)
What ever happened t (1109)
Backup QB competitio (752)
Fall Camp. (637)
2014 Preseason USA T (473)
Ranking the SEC Fema (405)
This is why I gave u (392)
Clowney's Madden Rat (390)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (316)
Ebola Outbreak (301)
Backup QB competition
2014 Preseason USA Today/
Green and Lammons
2014-15 Premier League se
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Ole Miss announces name f
What ever happened to Phi
Tennessee
Clemson, Auburn home and
Away game ticket requests

Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

CockyCash: 200
The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material
Default Any lawyers here? If so, I have a question.

So I filed my taxes today and got a huge surprise. I owe the Federal Government money. Turns out, my wife's employer (Oakwood Preschool) some how changed her dependents in 2012 to 10 from 0 without her consent. Since she didn't make much to begin with we didn't really even notice the difference in her checks. And last year we got a pretty good tax return. So there were no real red flags till this year. Now that we owe the government, what can we do to her employer since they obviously had to break some federal law?
The Gamecock Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material
Default Re: Any lawyers here? If so, I have a question.

She should have a W-4 on file with her filing status, dependents, exemptions etc.. that is where you should start. If her withholding's do not match with her W-4 then you could have a case. So did you, or her, not notice that she was no longer having any federal w/h being taken out?
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

FYI...people in general should never trust completely in their employer, or their employer's payroll service to prepare their payroll correctly very single time. Employers and payroll services make mistakes all the time and the best way to keep it from biting you in the ass is to review every pay stub you receive and make sure everything looks kosher...if you do not receive a pay stub you should request one.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Two things:

Gong from 10 to 0 would make you have more withheld, so you should be getting more back - maybe it was the other way around?

Secondly, the fact you owe money now means you paid in less to the system during the year. You didn't "lose" anything. So I'm not sure what you would sue for.

EDIT: Misread the first part so I retract my first thing. But not my second :-)
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Doesn't matter. You owe the taxes. In odd extenuating circumstances the IRS may let yo set up a payment plan but you are the one on the hook for it.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Actually anyone can request a payment plan but the fees and interest involved make it not worthwhile unless you're talking serious
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta

Last edited by JerseyBird; 02-25-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: talking not taking - well, taking too
Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

What is this thing of which you speak? Taxes?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Taxes are a pain in the bum. That's why I have a couple accountants, lol.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night !
(It had to be done)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

So, is there any poster that answered the question that is an attorney?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

Im not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

I feel like you need an accountants help more than a lawyers

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 397
cockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to cockattorney2

I'll chime in as both a CPA and an attorney. Won't comment on their changing the W-4 on their own, though... BUT, if her exemptions went from 0-10, then, yes, less would be withheld. No clue why they'd do that, though. But, hey, if you don't owe any penalty with it, then you got to have use of that money all year instead of the government having it.

Another reason you might owe more... check your income as compared to prior year. Check your deductions as compared to prior. Did you leave anything out? Are you being limited whereas you weren't before? Have a kid turn 17? If so, bye bye child tax $1000 credit for that kid.

LOTS of reasons why you'd owe this year over last, most, if not all of which, have nothing to do with that change to her W-4.
cockattorney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

Good points - one that will affect quite a few for 2013 is that unless you're over 65 you now have to subtract 10% of your AGI from your medical expenses (had been 7.5% for a loooong time beforehand).

Oh and if you're over 65 enjoy your extra 2.5% while you can - starting in 2016 you'll also have to take off 10%
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

one year i thought that i owed for the first time, then i figured out that i boogered up the return
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #16
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamecock Outlaw View Post
So I filed my taxes today and got a huge surprise. I owe the Federal Government money. Turns out, my wife's employer (Oakwood Preschool) some how changed her dependents in 2012 to 10 from 0 without her consent. Since she didn't make much to begin with we didn't really even notice the difference in her checks. And last year we got a pretty good tax return. So there were no real red flags till this year. Now that we owe the government, what can we do to her employer since they obviously had to break some federal law?
No offense but whose fault is it really? You owe the money...pay it! Did you not notice an increase in take home percentage when the entire country is having more money taken out if their checks every day? I can see where you might be annoyed at her employer...but go ahead and sue them/get them in trouble and you won't have to worry about withholding I the future. Personal responsibility is a thing of the past...always someone else's fault.

I am not a lawyer but I pay my fair share of taxes and so should everyone else
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Here's what you do; just give the IRS a buzz. Let whoever answers the phone know that, with the Feds unlimited ability to "print" new money, you don't see why the government needs to collect taxes in the first place. And whatever money you may owe, you're positive the Fed can "create" it and have it "injected" in no time. They'll totally understand.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

If you feel very strongly, you can refuse to pay taxes and argue that the income taxes are unconstitutional. LINK. However, if you choose this option, you might end up in jail because the federal government does not like anyone not paying taxes no matter how meritorious is your constitutional argument you don't owe them.

The other advice I can offer you is now that you know you owe the taxes, you should wait until April 15 to file.

PS: You probably also owe the State of SC money assuming you live here.

We had a similar experience. This was caused by 1) our family's annual taxes increased; and/or 2) the government reduced the amount of withholdings from people's paychecks as a Keynesian attempt to "stimulate" the economy.

Yes, I am a lawyer. No, I don't know what in the hell I'm talking about any more than any lay person because I am not a tax lawyer. Tax law is a highly specialized field, and it is boring as h@ll.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
cockfight21
Household Name

Male

cockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot materialcockfight21 is USC mascot material

Any contractors on here? I'd like a free house built. Any manufacturers? I'd like free products.

Kenny Powers
cockfight21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight21 View Post
Any contractors on here? I'd like a free house built. Any manufacturers? I'd like free products.

This is what I was thinking of when I first saw the thread. Hilarious.

"Hey, are you a professional <insert job title>? Could you provide your services free of charge to me in this thread? Thanks!"

Umm, how about no.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote