CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
b381l
Lonnie
elcid99
COCKYTALKIN
Roosterboy
garnet_black215
ertman420
Master Bedroom
USCBASEBALL1
Clemson Recruiting.. (4705)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (2065)
Hello Gamecocks! (810)
Marching band (742)
John Rocker at rock (731)
My predictions for 2 (445)
Muschamp + fan = win (365)
Section 16 (361)
Good Article on Aubu (268)
Does anyone know how (264)
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Question on Student Secti
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
NCAA Concussion Settlemen
My predictions for 2014
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
2015 - Zack Bailey
2016 Commitment - Kyle Da
college football match up
Tennessee

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default End Times

I dont want anyone who doesn't believe in the authenticity of the Bible to post unnecessary comments on this, but what are your thoughts on the end times.. Are you a Premillennialist, or Post? Do you think we are nearing the end?
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material
Default Re: End Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockdiesel7 View Post
I dont want anyone who doesn't believe in the authenticity of the Bible to post unnecessary comments . . .
Not unnecessary:

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
I dont want anyone who doesn't believe in the authenticity of the Bible to post unnecessary comments on this, but what are your thoughts on the end times.. Are you a Premillennialist, or Post? Do you think we are nearing the end?
Very narrow minded you are.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Very narrow minded you are.
How does this make me narrow minded.. Im asking a question.. and I want the answers from people to be explainable by Bible scripture
Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
How does this make me narrow minded.. Im asking a question.. and I want the answers from people to be explainable by Bible scripture
You posted this in a joke forum. Note the CT description of the forum:

Quote:
Heard a good joke? Seen the latest on TV? Discuss it all here.
Don't you think that your choice of public venue invites a variety of responses?

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
You just answered your own post.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

One serious question to those who take the bible literally, how can it be taken literally when there are 4 different accounts of the same event and there are no similarities in the details, that is just looking at the birth and death. Obviously as in any case with any event there would be slight variances of minor details but the major details would be the same. Also the book of Revelation in which most people believe lays out the end of days was written at the same time as the persecution of the Christians under Nero which is where 666 comes from, so John obviously was writing about what has happened not what will happen. I ask this question to every person who takes the Bible literally and I have yet to be given an explanation as to why there are extreme differences of the events.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
One serious question to those who take the bible literally, how can it be taken literally when there are 4 different accounts of the same event and there are no similarities in the details, that is just looking at the birth and death. Obviously as in any case with any event there would be slight variances of minor details but the major details would be the same. Also the book of Revelation in which most people believe lays out the end of days was written at the same time as the persecution of the Christians under Nero which is where 666 comes from, so John obviously was writing about what has happened not what will happen. I ask this question to every person who takes the Bible literally and I have yet to be given an explanation as to why there are extreme differences of the events.
I think it's a stretch to say there are no similarities in the details, it's written from four different perspectives and I believe only 2 of the 4 were first hand accounts. Let me put it this way. I could go to a USC football game and come on here afterward and read about 100 very different accounts of what just happened.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
One serious question to those who take the bible literally, how can it be taken literally when there are 4 different accounts of the same event and there are no similarities in the details..
Not really.
In most cases, they compliment one another by filling in the gaps that the others leave out. And there is still much that was left out:

John 21:25 (NIV)
Quote:
Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Not really.
In most cases, they compliment one another by filling in the gaps that the others leave out. And there is still much that was left out:

John 21:25 (NIV)
Q
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Revelation 17:10

"Here is the mind which has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits, 10and they are seven kings; five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while. 11"The beast which was and is not, is himself also an eighth and is one of the seven, and he goes to destruction.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default End Times

Quote:
I dont want anyone who doesn't believe in the authenticity of the Bible to post unnecessary comments on this....

Quote:
One serious question to those who take the bible literally, how can it be taken literally when there are 4 different accounts of the same event and there are no similarities in the details, that is just looking at the birth and death.
I ask this question to every person who takes the Bible literally and I have yet to be given an explanation as to why there are extreme differences of the events.
Hey guys, still wondering why the original poster said he only wanted people who believe in the Bible to comment? LOL

Maybe because some people see someone talking about the Bible or Christianity and say to themselves "MUST ARGUE. MUST PROVE THEM WRONG" and then the thread strays into a big ugly argument. lol
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
Hey guys, still wondering why the original poster said he only wanted people who believe in the Bible to comment? LOL

Maybe because some people see someone talking about the Bible or Christianity and say to themselves "MUST ARGUE. MUST PROVE THEM WRONG" and then the thread strays into a big ugly argument. lol
Well I just wanted other views on when Christ will return so I could look outside my own beliefs on what will happen when Christ returns. I dont think non believers will quote scripture on me in that manner
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Discussions often happen on message boards. Its kind of part of the territory.

What gets me are Christians who are completely adverse to having their positions questioned. That sort of intellectual discourse should be encouraged, not avoided! To avoid such discourse is cowardly, lazy, and IMO- is not what Jesus would want for Christians.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default End Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Discussions often happen on message boards. Its kind of part of the territory.

What gets me are Christians who are completely adverse to having their positions questioned. That sort of intellectual discourse should be encouraged, not avoided! To avoid such discourse is cowardly, lazy, and IMO- is not what Jesus would want for Christians.
But what makes you think the original poster is adverse to having his positions questioned? Does a Christian's beliefs have to be questioned EVERY time the topic comes up?

Maybe right now he just wants to discuss one small part of his belief with some other people without defending and arguing about the entire Bible/his belief system?

Maybe he just got done paying his dues with a grueling 100 page argument with atheists on another board and now he's tired of arguing? lol
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
But what makes you think the original poster is adverse to having his positions questioned? Does a Christian's beliefs have to be questioned EVERY time the topic comes up?

Maybe right now he just wants to discuss one small part of his belief with some other people without defending and arguing about the entire Bible/his belief system?

Maybe he just got done paying his dues with a grueling 100 page argument with atheists on another board and now he's tired of arguing? lol

I didnt mean to imply that the OP was against being questioned. My response was to your statement "Maybe because some people see someone talking about the Bible or Christianity and say to themselves "MUST ARGUE. MUST PROVE THEM WRONG" and then the thread strays into a big ugly argument. lol"

So, I was taking the opportunity to speak to a larger phenomena that I've seen in the evangelical community, something my wife and I have talked about a good bit. She still has some of these types of folks as older friends, people who were there as she was growing up, whom refuse to try and ponder deeper questions regarding their faith. They simply take what is told to them in Sunday school and leave it at that.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I'm more of a Preterist. (http://www.preterist.org/ if you've never heard of it).

I believe that John was writing about the Roman empire in a coded language (the apocalyptic symbolism of many Old Testament books) that could only be interpreted by other Jews that understood the context. In that way he wrote a very subversive book that predicted the overthrow of Roman rule by Christianity, a prophecy, by the way, that came true.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
auslander
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 770
auslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I'm more of a Preterist. (http://www.preterist.org/ if you've never heard of it).

I believe that John was writing about the Roman empire in a coded language (the apocalyptic symbolism of many Old Testament books) that could only be interpreted by other Jews that understood the context. In that way he wrote a very subversive book that predicted the overthrow of Roman rule by Christianity, a prophecy, by the way, that came true.
This. One thing to keep in mind when reading the Bible (or any other book for that matter) is that it is written for a specific audience and as a result context plays a huge role in interpretation.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslander View Post
This. One thing to keep in mind when reading the Bible (or any other book for that matter) is that it is written for a specific audience and as a result context plays a huge role in interpretation.
I'm in Christian Studies program and we are going over this in one of my classes. When I read the Bible and exegete the passage, I go through 5 different contexts. A historical context, Christilogical, Theological, literary, how it points or relates to he kingdom of God
Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #20
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

There has always been a checklist of events that need to happen that seems to preceed "the end", but so many people have been wrong on this over the years, it remains mostly a mystery (as God intends I suspect).

I feel that when the "end times" are really near, it will be much more obvious and the "signs" will be more evident than just bits and pieces. Those riding the fence will likely have to get off.

The thing is, we don't know if some of the key events happen in a short time or over an extended time, so there's no way to tell. The stuff could hit the fan overnight, or it could go on for a long time.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote