CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
rrsandersjr
Freshman ND WR " (663)
Call of Duty: Advanc (490)
Good Riddance to bad (385)
Keeping tailgate foo (282)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (242)
An A to Z of Noah We (166)
The Comeback & T (83)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (66)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (66)
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA (65)
Bashing Players, coaches,
Why I think we beat Aubur
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Texas athletic director:
Rest of the season predic
So Disappointed With The

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Cosmos

I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cosmos

I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.

Scientology?

Um, no. Try again.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post

Dou you actually know what Scientology believes?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.

I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.
Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

What purpose would inserting God have for a show like Cosmos?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
What purpose would inserting God have for a show like Cosmos?
You missed the point. Slamming ID is just as senseless as slamming old earth theory. Both can be harmonized and make sense. It's the people on the extreme sides that are the problem.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 28363636
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Quote:
You missed the point. Slamming ID is just as senseless as slamming old earth theory. Both can be harmonized and make sense. It's the people on the extreme sides that are the problem.
Intelligent design wasn't "slammed".
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

My point was I didnt hear anything "slammed"
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well, seeing how it's about science, and not religion, you can understand why they talked about science.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Well, seeing how it's about science, and not religion, you can understand why they talked about science.
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be both?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
You can personally believe that the universe had a Creator and believe that he/she/it used or didn't use evolution or the big bang. I for one have no problem accepting the scientific answers and reconciling them with my belief in God; however, creationism is not a part science.

I find it a little too much for people to expect that science will deal with the issue of God. Science is an academic discpline that tries to learn about the natural world through observation and experimentation. Religion is faith based. It isn't that science ignores God, but rather God is outside the realm of science. Science can't observe or run experiments on God using the scientific method.

Would you be upset if your pastor preached a sermon about 1st Genesis and the power of God to will the universe into being and did not give equal consideration to scientific theories that might suggest otherwise? Are you upset when you don't hear science preached from the pulpit?
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

Because Cosmos is a remake of Carl Sagan's original, and they didn't want to make it something it was not?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:

They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Quote:
they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.
The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.101 View Post
The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....
Your not getting what I am saying, they went out of the way to do so. Picking an agenda, and if Seth McFarlane is producing this show, then I can see why they are doing so.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.101 View Post
This.

Only problem I has with it was their story about Bruno. Bruno was executed for other things, though to be fair he shouldn't of been executed anyway. Diggers was the real enlightened astronomer who helped expand cosmic thinking.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #19
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Default Cosmos

Quote:
They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

That's not the way I perceived it.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Are they obligated to mention religion?

A show with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is going to be strictly centered on scientific discovery.

My question is, what would you have the show say?
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote