CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2065)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1551)
Former Gamecock root (1412)
Franks boy's are pla (1243)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (572)
Has the window close (570)
Kentucky is dominati (545)
Bruce!!! (516)
Question for those w (445)
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Decommitment from Texas A

Old 03-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Social Media etiquette discussion time

First off let me preface by saying that I think its completely busch to "hit" on a girl via Facebook if you don't really know her. But that brings up another question. When, if ever is it ok?

Example, you knew a girl/guy from somewhere in the past, have talked, but never anything beyond that. But you've always wanted to ask him/her out on a date and didn't.

You finally work up the courage, but the chances of you seeing this person in public to ask face to face is a 1/1000000 chance. Is it then ok to at least ask to hang out or do whatever via Facebook and then ask for an official date in person?

Discuss….Enjoy….Opinions….GO
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Social Media etiquette discussion time

IMO, "electronic communication" text, email, im whatever leaves out a lot of the "nonverbal" cues that come with normal human interaction, you don't even convey tone like when on a phone call, much less all of the physical cues that are there in person. The flip side is it would seem to make it easier for a person that is socially shy to do something outside of their "comfort zone" because they don't have to actually talk to, or look at the other person.

How old is this person? I have a young coworker whom I don't know if he has ever actually talked to his gf, I would guess they text each other while sitting across the table at dinner for someone like that it's prob cool, someone who still uses a phone/in person at their primary way of communication prob wouldn't like it

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
taylorssc
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

I asked a girl out on Facebook. We ended up dating and lived together for over 4 years. Would have got married but it turns out she's f*cking crazy...

Facebook is a great way to meet women. Unlike what johnnyb said, I think nonverbal cues can confuse the situation. Pretty cut and dry when you just ask if they want to grab a drink sometime. Very non-threatening way to ask a girl out. Plus, if that's something that makes you nervous, there's no way for them to pick up on it.

Being honest, I look like a pretty interesting guy on Facebook. Then again, that goes for everybody else; her included.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Cuck Flemson
Super Moderator

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Bowl Winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winner of Segment 1 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 1710278
Cuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot materialCuck Flemson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
I asked a girl out on Facebook. We ended up dating and lived together for over 4 years. Would have got married but it turns out she's f*cking crazy...

Facebook is a great way to meet women. Unlike what johnnyb said, I think nonverbal cues can confuse the situation. Pretty cut and dry when you just ask if they want to grab a drink sometime. Very non-threatening way to ask a girl out. Plus, if that's something that makes you nervous, there's no way for them to pick up on it.

Being honest, I look like a pretty interesting guy on Facebook. Then again, that goes for everybody else; her included.

Hmm I could but I'm not
Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
taylorssc
Banned

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck Flemson View Post
Hmm I could but I'm not
Was hoping people would find the humor in that!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Interesting topic. I think there will be a wide variety of answers/opinions.

I agree that flirting with or hitting on someone via Facebook is weak. In my opinion, that always comes across as creepy and pervey. As for actually asking someone out, I think it's best to do it in person or at least over the phone. If you had no way of contacting them except for Facebook, then there's nothing wrong with that. I would at least send them a private message instead of posting it to their wall because I wouldn't want the whole world knowing my intentions and the possible embarrassment if she declined. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I could ever develop a crush on someone where Facebook was our only option for communication. Doesn't seem like you could get to know them well enough to want to ask them out.

All that said, I did, back in the day, ask a girl out via AOL IM. We were out on Christmas break, didn't have cell phones and I didn't know her home number. I had been drinking at a NYE party (wasn't drunk, but inebriated enough to do this) and started chatting with her after I got home. I decided it would be a good idea to tell her I had a crush on her and asked her out on a date for when we got back to Carolina. She politely declined, things got awkward, and our friendship drifted apart. Luckily enough for me I met the woman that would eventually become my wife about 3 weeks later. And, yes, I did ask her out in person.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Facebook isn't suppose to be a dating site but it has pretty much turned into that..

I don't see a problem with asking a girl out over facebook to get to know them better. Maybe exchange phone numbers first so that you can at least talk to the person first.

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

There's the flip side of social media as well - going out with someone you would never have a chance to go out with in real life. There's that high school kid in Minnesota who is taking Michelle Beadle to his prom. Then there are the other celebrities and popular people who have said yes (a recent one was a cheerleader for an NFL team). They got asked out or connected via social media. So there's the good side of it too - you get opportunities you wouldn't otherwise have.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Facebook has replaced the chat rooms

No longer do we have to ask a/s/l?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

I would never ask a girl on a date via fb, ive been talking to a girl on fb before, stopped and called her to ask her out, when i ask her out i want her to hear the sincerity in my voice when i ask her out.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Tinder is about as easy as it gets... this is what I hear. I have never actually been on tinder due to the fact that I am in a relationship.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material

If you really like her, message her your # so you can actually have phone conversation, hear each other; texting and conversing through FB or any other social site, much like this one, doesn't convey voice inflextions, as another poster said, this way she can hear how serious you are.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I had a girl email me on FB and we dated for a while. Originally I thought it was a joke since she was smoking hot. But she was legit and it would have turned very serious except she had to move out of the country due to family issues.

But personally, I would never hit on someone on FB.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

This is why Tinder exists.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I've met lots of people on FB. Not for dating but I have made friends with a good many people with whom I share interests.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
taylorssc
Banned

Male

I signed up for Tinder today. Never heard of it until you guys mentioned it. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #17
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
I signed up for Tinder today. Never heard of it until you guys mentioned it. Thanks in advance!
How about a report?
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

No NO NO...DO not ask someone out over FB. Grow a sack and do it in person.

What is this world coming to? The younger generations cannot comprehend face to face communication its sad. They just want to hide behind a screen or their phone. Catfishing would not exist if it werent for the internet
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
No NO NO...DO not ask someone out over FB. Grow a sack and do it in person.

What is this world coming to? The younger generations cannot comprehend face to face communication its sad. They just want to hide behind a screen or their phone. Catfishing would not exist if it werent for the internet
I read a pretty interesting article but can't find it anymore. It looked at this lack of one on one communication and lack of conversation skills as a reason for the rise in officer related shootings especially in young new officers.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #20
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I read a pretty interesting article but can't find it anymore. It looked at this lack of one on one communication and lack of conversation skills as a reason for the rise in officer related shootings especially in young new officers.
Very interesting... It does make sense.