CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
sporkgod50
StormOfTalons
b381l
Rooster'srule
Lonnie
auslander
Elcid99 (1860)
Tennessee (1191)
PSU drops a prospect (986)
Erin Murray's brothe (759)
Question on Student (673)
Bad movies that are (546)
John Abraham DUI (474)
Camp scheduled relea (443)
Mizzou WR suspended (355)
Rokevious Watkins cu (244)
An Aggies View of the Mat
My predictions for 2014
Clemson Recruiting...how
Green and Lammons
Mizzou WR suspended for s
PSU drops a prospect beca
EVE Online
Elcid99
Best Offensive "Trip
Official SEC Network and

Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
magoo
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
magoo has hatched from the shell
Default Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about South Carolina football. The plan is to be down there for the Tennessee game November 1st, get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For starters, whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm? Whats the impression of head ball coach? What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey (as I Bears fan, I was soooo happy when we drafted that guy)? Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Chicago ND fan/SEC book idea

I sent you a private message, I'd be interested in helping you and sharing with you what makes South Carolina a special place for the Garnet & Black!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Well, the first thing you have to do to understand what it is like being and SEC fan is stop being a Notre Dame fan, pick an SEC team as your favorite team, and move and live near the campus and start going to sporting events all the time. If you can't do that you're not going to have the entire picture of what you are writing about.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

It will be tough to fully understand what it is like without having grown up in it. College football is basically like a religion in the south.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

There are several ND fans around here too
spareparts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Hey All,

I'm a die hard Notre Dame fan and a 28 y/o teacher from Chicago (hope you don't hold that against me). I'm going to take next year off teaching and tour the SEC with the intention of writing a book about fan culture and identity and what it's like being a college football fan in the SEC.

I'm hoping to get to know some of you and get to know what makes you tick, what you love, what frustrates you, etc about South Carolina football. The plan is to be down there for the Tennessee game November 1st, get there a couple days early, check out campus, meet fans, check the tailgate and game.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. For starters, whats it like having a legendary coach at the helm? Whats the impression of head ball coach? What's it been like over the past few years having program changing players like Clowney, Lattimore, and to some extent Jeffrey (as I Bears fan, I was soooo happy when we drafted that guy)? Where do you see the program headed and what needs to happen for you to get over the last hump and win a National Championship?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to the board and feel free to ask any questions you have about ND football (if you have any. I think I'm a pretty level-headed fan and I get that I'm part of a largely elitist fan base that hasn't deserved national attention for the better part of 20 years since Holtz left)

Jim
I think in your travels to experience the SEC, you'll find how important football is in the South. It's not a game, it's a way of life.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

What is funny is fans in other parts of the country thin they know what it is like but they really have know idea.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

It sounds like a cool idea and I'm sure it will be a interesting read but I will say one thing: football is so different in the south. It's like a religion. It's hard to explain our passion for it unless you see it for yourself.
uscgamecocks88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
RHHS8068
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 51477
RHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPitRHHS8068 rules the CockPit

Good luck. You'll need it. And I mean both statements sincerely and am not trying to be snarky.

I grew up in SC, graduated Carolina, and lived many years in New England. People in the North think they get college football, but they don't. In general, most northerners simply cannot conceive how personally important college athletics, and college football in particular, is.

For starters, ND-SoCal is not a rivalry. You're 2000 miles apart and most graduates of each school will never know a graduate of the other school. Carolina-clem5on, Bama-Auburn, GT-UGA are rivalries. We share the same state and often live next door to each other. It is a 365 day/year thing for us.

Coming to the UT game will be good. But if you really want to see a spectacle, go to an SEC rivalry game. It is a whole different level.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hey All,

Jim
My husband and I moved to Columbia 4 years ago. I grew up in Chgo./Gladstone Park and Skokie, then Cleveland. I remember when we were looking for a house here in the city of Columbia near campus EVERY home in the 400k range had a garnet colored room. You see these were not 'college' rented homes. These were GAMECOCK FAN'S homes. Honestly I thght. who the heck paints their living rms Garnet. In Cleveland and Chgo. we did not paint our walls orange and blue nor orange and brown. Now I understand. I go to football, baseball, and both men and women basketball games.

COACH SPURRIER
He definately knows the game. He says it like it is which I appreciate.

FOOTBALL GAME ATTIRE- Ladies- black sundress and pearls I heard. I thght. my husband was setting me up. At Pro football games we wear parkas, pants, team sweatshirt or team color sweater, hat scarf, ect. b/c it is COLD!

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE- Do NOT schedule ANYTHING not even death during a game! The Phil Harmonic Orchestra schedules their concerts around the football games. If u schedule something during a SEC football game, you will have a low turnout.

THANKSGIVING It is GAMECOCKS vs Clemson. DO not expect me to go back home during this holiday. Do not expect me to entertain u if u visit us on that gameday unless u want to WATCH the game with me.

BOWL games- remember when the Cleveland Browns fans drove on the school buses to Baltimore to get the Browns name back ??? Well, SEC fans will go to that Bowl game no matter what the name is. That is THEIR TEAM. THEIR BLOOD. SEC teams rule.

RELIGION Base
YES Football is a religion in the SEC. EVERY Saturday during football season is gameday and tailgating. During off and during the season it is recruiting.

We have been in Columbia for 4 years now. Our football tickets were renewed last month. They are on my husband calendar so no business trips are planned.

When u come in for a game, wear Garnet and Black.

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Can't forget the #1 rule in the south: NEVER, EVER, EVER schedule a wedding during football season.
uscgamecocks88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

rrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervousrrsandersjr is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds401 View Post
My husband and I moved to Columbia 4 years ago. I grew up in Chgo./Gladstone Park and Skokie, then Cleveland. I remember when we were looking for a house here in the city of Columbia near campus EVERY home in the 400k range had a garnet colored room. You see these were not 'college' rented homes. These were GAMECOCK FAN'S homes. Honestly I thght. who the heck paints their living rms Garnet. In Cleveland and Chgo. we did not paint our walls orange and blue nor orange and brown. Now I understand. I go to football, baseball, and both men and women basketball games.

COACH SPURRIER

FOOTBALL GAME ATTIRE- Ladies- black sundress and pearls I heard. I thght. my husband was setting me up. At Pro football games we wear parkas, pants, team sweatshirt or team color sweater, hat scarf, ect. b/c it is COLD!

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE- Do NOT schedule ANYTHING not even death during a game! The Phil Harmonic Orchestra schedules their concerts around the football games. If u schedule something during a SEC football game, you will have a low turnout.

THANKSGIVING It is GAMECOCKS vs Clemson. DO not expect me to go back home during this holiday. Do not expect me to entertain u if u visit us on that gameday unless u want to WATCH the game with me.

BOWL games- remember when the Cleveland Browns fans drove on the school buses to Baltimore to get the Browns name back ??? Well, SEC fans will go to that Bowl game no matter what the name is. That is THEIR TEAM. THEIR BLOOD. SEC teams rule.

RELIGION Base
YES Football is a religion in the SEC. EVERY Saturday during football season is gameday and tailgating. During off and during the season it is recruiting.

We have been in Columbia for 4 years now. Our football tickets were renewed last month. They are on my husband calendar so no business trips are planned.

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!
Wow, you get it! How long did it take?
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
Wow, you get it! How long did it take?
Before the first game.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:

COACH SPURRIER

RELIGION Base

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!

Oh Dear God, this had me rolling. Mainly because it is so true. Thanks for the fun read.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Hey All,

Jim
I am not a subscriber to the idea that you have to be born into the football culture in the South to understand it, but it does take a while to fully grasp it. The way it permeates everyday life is special.

I'll post more of my thoughts later, but I hope when you are researching University of South Carolina football that you focus on more than win-losses. I personally think that history plays a part in the evolution of our program, fans, and ultimately the fierce loyalty that we have for our Gamecocks. Our university's history, especially our rivalry with Clemson, is deeper than sports. It has roots in politics during Reconstruction and post-Reconstruction before football was even a thing. I want to point out that we don't sit around talking about that history anymore, but this information sets the historical context for the evolution of USC as an institution and then the athletics program by extension. The quick summary is that South Carolina had no money after the Civil War, and higher education that didn't directly relate to the state's economy (agriculture) was no longer considered a priority. Thus, USC was not well funded until the GI bill and subsequent baby boomers needed a place to go to college. And as we all know, money=success=money=success, etc.

The games themselves were (and are) social events. The 'Big Thursday' game was arguably the biggest event of the year in the state of South Carolina in its heyday, with the governor and many other elected politicians attending each year along with other important people in the state. Many of the traditions (particularly girls being well-dressed) evolved from that era.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
magoo
Walk On

Male

magoo has hatched from the shell

Quote:

COACH SPURRIER

RELIGION Base

USC GOOOOO.... COCKS!
Sorry it's about a month late on the reply, but I grew up in Norwood Park, went to St. Tars (Milwaukee & Ardmore). Small world. So cool you've adapted to the lifestyle. What been the biggest adjustment moving down? (though it sounds like you're fully a part of, which is awesome)
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Hey All,

Jim
Being a Gamecock is something I was born into. I have been going to games since I was a kid (I'm 48), my kids have been going to games since they were kids etc.

While we've only been an SEC team since 1992, our football culture has always been strong. It isn't just the SEC, it is football in the South.

Until we got Lou Holtz as a coach, we got had sub par coaching (excluding Morrison but that is a whole other story).

You grow up on football Saturdays in the fall. No one gets married on a home game day because no one will show up to your wedding.

On football Saturdays, Williams Brice Stadium becomes the second biggest city in the state.

One of my lifelong friend's parents, donated the money to build Williams Brice. It was a blast going to games and seeing then Gov Carroll Campbell in worse seats than we had.

It's just a really hard thing to explain because it is so innate. It is like trying to explain the color blue.

Forgot to add, I've always worn a dress to the games except for the odd chilly game that I've worn wool pants but we definitely dress for games.

Good luck!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I grew up an ND fan and had lots of family go there; one of my brothers even played under Holtz. I graduated from USC and can say from first hand experience, having been to countless ND and USC games, that there is just a different experience at a SEC game. Basically take the feel of the 2005 ND vs. So Cal game and have that or better every week basically. Going to ND is like being at a church. It's an amazing experience and the traditions are awesome but going down south it is an entirely different culture and way of life. The tailgating is at a whole other level.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #19
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

To sum it up for me, i was born a gamecock, when we played backyard football, we werent calling out pro teams, or players, we wanted to be gamecocks or tigers etc. To us our teams won national championships every year in the front yards, even when we were 0-11 on the gridiron. That was as a kid of course.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #20
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

The thing that makes Gamecock fans unique is our support for our team thru some pretty lean times
Similar to Cubs fans, I would guess. It makes success all the sweeter.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote