CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
gamecockgal
gadeneer1986
Jim Lahey
Ericvol2096
cockfight21
Yearofthegamecock
10-2 (2125)
Four UK Players Susp (1424)
Build a New Stadium (1328)
Connor Shaw's fault. (815)
Cleaned up version: (711)
Nosovitch (687)
QB Recruiting Strate (675)
This program has no (583)
Defer Or Not? (454)
Remaining schedules (431)
Hottest seat in CFB?
10-2
400 pasing yards
Defer Or Not?
Funny?
QB Recruiting Strategy
Thoughts on Shawn Elliott
2016 RB Recruiting
Build a New Stadium
2016 - Tavien Feaster

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Best American rock band

What is/was the best American rock band?

Why?

Go
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
spareparts
Banned

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best American rock band

Clarification:

One dude does not count (Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc)

It has to be an actual band

Therefore the Doors counts, but Buddy Holly does not, because The Doors was more than just Jim Morrison and 3 other dudes.

This raises the possibility that Bruce Springsteen does not count because it's "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band", but I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking actual bands.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

This is kind of a tough question. Most of my favorite all time groups are British (Beatles, Zepplin, Floyd, Jethro Tull etc.....) I guess I would lean kind of in the direction of Sound Garden
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
spareparts
Banned

Male

I would have expected you to say some heavy metal band? Like Metallica or someone
Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I would have expected you to say some heavy metal band? Like Metallica or someone
Nah, I like unique and nothing to me about Metallica is Unique. I think one of my favorites would also be White Stripes, Black Crowes, Incubus, Arctic Monkeys as of late, Ben Harper etc..... I bounce all over the stratosphere when it comes to music.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

not saying they are my favorites but:

aerosmith due to longevity of relevancy
nirvana for pushing a new genre of music into the mainstream
Sublime
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

AERO "F'ing" SMITH !!!

Been hooked on that band since I first heard Dream on (and then the
original album) Back in 1973. I got into R&B rock and Blues in my mid
teens and that has been my personal favorite taste in music ever since.
The British Invasion that followed The Beatles into the US was heavily
influenced by American pioneers in TRUE Rock n Roll, and the American
Blues Masters...unfortunately, main stream America wasn't playing that
stuff unless it was re-recorded and played by White American Artists. Eventually
it was accepted and when the Brits brought it to the Country with a harder
Rock and Blues riffs we ate it up like candy and learned later on that it was
saturated with Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino
Sunhouse etc...
All the American bands that got their influences from those British Rock bands
of the mid/late 60s were learning to do the same thing. Get back to the
basics (Blues and R/B) and even covered some of the stuff the Brits were
covering as well. .... Aerosmith was one of those bands that worshiped the
artists that opened the door to The Blues and Rhythm and Blues Rock. Steven
Tyler was fascinated with groups like They Yardbirds, The Stones, Early
Fleetwood Mac, and his idol(s) were as so many other bands looking for their
niche, The Beatles. Their songwriting and sound reflected those artists, and
the gave it their flavor and with Tyler's Scatting and Raspy vocals.... To me
it was like listening to a Male Janis Joplin. Fell in love with the band, their
Music and their Smooze and have been following them ever since.

Some other Good American Rock Bands besides them (my favorites)

The Byrds
KISS
The Eagles
Guns n Roses
Cynderella
Grand Funk Railroad
ZZ Top

To name a few
Old 04-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

I think Crosby Stills Nash & Young would have to be up there. How about Eric Clapton?

Note- sorry Clapton doesn't qualify. Nor does Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes. Or Bob Segar. You kind of made this a bit tough.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

The Eagles. So many memorable songs and lyrics.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

I'd expect bands like The Ramones, The Beach Boys (?), The Allman Brothers Band, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen and Pearl Jam to be on the short list along with some of the ones already listed.

As far as the best? That's tough. Probably one I don't like very much.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Van Halen

New York Dolls

The Ramones

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
spareparts
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Van Halen

New York Dolls

Jimi Hendrix Experience (same with Springsteen and E street category)

The Ramones

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Wow. This is a great list. NY Dolls may not have been very popular, but their records are badass and gave birth to other great stuff.

Ramones - without a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
unfortunately, main stream America wasn't playing that
stuff unless it was re-recorded and played by White American Artists.
This is factual. It's interesting how British artists tried to jump on the bandwagon
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Wow. This is a great list. NY Dolls may not have been very popular, but their records are badass and gave birth to other great stuff.

Ramones - without a doubt

This is factual. It's interesting how British artists tried to jump on the bandwagon
I don't really see it as "jumping on the bandwagon" personally. I heard
Eric Clapton doing an interview very early in his Post Cream career (I think it was
Derek and the Dominos era), and he was asked about his Blues connections
with John Mayhall, and Cream. Clapton said that all the young kids who were
in Club bands in the 50s were listening to, and playing music by American
Blues artists like Muddy Waters, Sunhouse, Robert Johnson etc... and they
thought the American kids were doing the same over here. It wasn't until
The Beatles cracked the door open for the wave of British bands to get noticed
in the US, that they realized the majority of American Teens were unaware of
the music that made them Supergroups of the 60s and 70s. Clapton went on to
say that most of the British bands that got recording contracts and toured
in the US had no idea they were going to be as popular as they were when they
started out. He said it wasn't until after they were in the U.S. for a while that
they learned just how deep our prejudices ran in regards to Black people prior
to the mid 60s. I see it (as Clapton said), as them just paying tribute to some
great artists of the Blues era)

I remember when bands like They Yardbirds, Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Stones
etc... first came to the U.S, and how kids in school just went Ape shit over
them, thinking it was "Cutting Edge" stuff. We didn't realize they were
emulating their American Idols of Blues, and we had no idea of it.

We thought when Led Zeppelin was doing Traveling Riverside Blues, Sugar
Mama, When the Levee Breaks, Hangman etc.. OR
when The Stones were going Love in Vain, or Little Red Rooster, or Cream
doing Crossroads, that it was a whole new type of music we'd been introduced
to.......then found out a short time later it had been in our own backyard
since the 30s and 40s and we didn't appreciate it because of our Blind prejudices
Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Van Halen (NOT Van Hagar!)

Blue Oyster Cult

ZZ Top
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

I have trouble singling out an American band, for whatever reason. But here's a rough top 5 without thinking too hard about it.

Steely Dan
Blue Oyster Cult (ignoring some missteps)
Original Alice Cooper Band (69-74)
Original Jane's Addiction
Ween

Edit: After a second of reflection, I think both the Pixies and Fugazi warrant honorable mention.

Last edited by Transmaniacon; 04-21-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

I really like Sublime -

Most people think of "What I got" or "Santeria", for good reason as they were the most popular songs played over the air. Don't get me wrong, I think those are good, but I like much of the other stuff better.

"STP", "Same In The End", "Boss DJ", "Prophet", "Seed" (where they seem to switch musical styles every few seconds), "Don't Push", and many more.

There are some great uploads that have surfaced on youtube from people who probably found some 20 yr old VHS packed away in a box somewhere.

Sublime only being 3 members, may have had the best rhythm section for any 3 man band I've ever seen. Though Bradley was usually so messed up he could sometimes not remember his own words, he was a hell of an entertainer had had incredible passion for the music, which is ultimately what makes the live performances so entertaining.

I would have given anything to be in So. Cal seeing them play in someone's back yard circa '91-'93. Eric Wilson is a monster on the bass.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

No Skynyrd?? Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd are tied at the top with me.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Doobie Bros.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
Stevie Ray Vaughan would be in the same playlist for me as Skynard. Zepp was a Brit band. I go back again to The Black Crowes, I would say of the rock bands within my lifetime I probably would put them at the top of my list now that I have had a little time to think about it.

The Crowes with Jimmy Page would have been an epic concert to attend.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
Love Zeppelin - They're out of London. Looks like it's Skynyrd by default then!