CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
snruter amabon
Spur's Addiction
HeadCockFan
Order 66
roosterdude21
TAFC 5 1981
catdaddy66
GarnetSwarm1990
trapper82
sflgc
Can it get any bette (854)
Haven't seen one unb (819)
Funny Golf Story Abo (803)
Auburn Stealing Sign (756)
Defense Tackles (674)
Boo This Man... (507)
I used to like bush (465)
georgia rewind... (329)
Gamecocks Traveling (295)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (247)
Auburn looks beatable
Auburn Stealing Signals?
Mizzou game late parking/
**official Vandy predicti
georgia rewind...
Well, as it turns out, we
Haven't seen one unbeatab
official UFC thread. (new
Can it get any better!
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA@VAN

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Steve Bartman

Watched this 30 for 30 for the first time today. I knew it was bad at the time but didn't know it was that bad for poor Steve. He's been in seclusion ever since. I can't imagine having to stay out of the public eye for the rest of my life for something like that. One of the more interesting stories in sports.

I don't know if there are any Cubs fans on here but I'd love to hear their opinion on the whole Bartman situation.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
tkousc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly
Default Re: Steve Bartman

Cubs fan here (Born in Chicago burbs). This was as gutwrenching as I had ever felt from a sporting event. I truly believe Alou would have caught that ball. Bartman could have certainly handled the situation better but I don't feel any real animosity toward him. He unfortunately looked almost to a tee of someone that is easy to despise. (the turtleneck, the nerdy glasses, the headphones) Especially to sports jocks. Now its sad but I feel almost indifferent to the Cubs and baseball in general because nothing ever changes. You have to have that hope and right now cubs fans have none and that all started with Bartman.
tkousc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Watched this 30 for 30 for the first time today. I knew it was bad at the time but didn't know it was that bad for poor Steve. He's been in seclusion ever since. I can't imagine having to stay out of the public eye for the rest of my life for something like that. One of the more interesting stories in sports.

I don't know if there are any Cubs fans on here but I'd love to hear their opinion on the whole Bartman situation.
Yeah that would be pretty bad. I think I would just leave the Chicago area or become a big White Sox fan or something if I were him. To make it a little more personal. Imagine if he were a Gamecock fan it he had cost us winning our first CWS.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

To be honest I'm surprised the guy hasn't gotten racked. Cubs fans usually aren't the most homicidal, but in this case I could see someone snapping
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

I guess his instinct was to go for the ball

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
I guess his instinct was to go for the ball
Poor fellow gotta hide in the crapper
'cause his gut done him wrong.
Feelin' a little sad?? No, not really.
A real Cubbie woulda known better.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Poor fellow gotta hide in the crapper
'cause his gut done him wrong.
Feelin' a little sad?? No, not really.
A real Cubbie woulda known better.
To give a guy hell for the rest of his life because he went for a ball in the stands is ridiculous .. I guess that shows you how bad the cubs are and always have been

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

It was easy to blame Bartman, but he did not do anything any fan at any game with a chance to catch a ball is ALWAYS going to do.

The real villain was and always will be Dusty (The Clown) Baker. That idiot violated just about every critical rule of managing that night. He is the real reason the Cubs did not get into the World Series that year. Dusty just stood there with his thumb up his ass while his team fell apart on the field because he did not yank the pitcher until long after it was too late.

I'll always despise Baker for that because 2003 turned out to be the last year my dad, a Cubs fan since his boyhood in northwestern Indiana, was alive to see a playoff and a World Series.

Here is a link to an excellent article about that game. It reminds us that Alex Gonzalez blew an easy double play that would have ended the Marlins at bat with the Cubs up 3-1.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/10/14/steve-b...ins-2003-nlcs/

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html

Last edited by SwampFox; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 PM.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Its awlays easy for the fans to pick out one specific play, but Im 100% positive if you go back and watch that game, there were other instances where the Cubs failed to score a runner on base, or the pitcher left a hanger over the plate that led to a run scoring base hit.

And the best part about this is, those people blaming him would have done the same thing. And even better is that the people next to him that are probably blaming him now, had their arms stretched out and were inches from being the headline of this story.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Alou would have had a very tough time catching the ball. I doubt it would have happened. I think he will be like Buckner, when they finally win, he will be brought back.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

A lot of it had to do with the curse of the billy goat. There was a feeling at the time among Cubs fans that the Cubs were cursed and could not win. Bartman was just another event in the negative mindset reinforcing the myth. Now even more people believe it.

Quote:
In 2003 (incidentally, the Chinese zodiac's Year of the Goat), a group of Cubs fans headed to Houston with a billy goat named "Virgil Homer" and attempted to gain entrance to Minute Maid Park, home of the Astros, division rivals of the Cubs at the time.[5] After they were denied entrance, they unfurled a scroll, read a verse and proclaimed they were "reversing the curse." The Cubs won the division that year and then came within five outs of playing in the World Series, but were undone by the Florida Marlins' eight-run rally immediately following the Steve Bartman incident. The Cubs then lost the following game and with it the series. (The Marlins went on to win the World Series against the New York Yankees). Further salting the wound, the Astros earned their first World Series berth two years later (they would be swept by the Cubs' crosstown rivals, the Chicago White Sox).
LINK

Younger Gamecock fans may not recall, but there was once a belief amongst Gamecock fans that we were cursed by the notorious racist, Pitchfork Ben Tillman, a man who has a tower erected at Clemson in his honor. The curse ended when Brad Scott took it with him to Clemson. Now they have the Tillman curse.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I agree with those that said Bartman did what any other fan would do. To think that one play cost the Cubs that series is just crazy.

I could maybe understand it if that would have been the last out in an elimination game and the Marlins then got a walk off hit. Even then it's still a stretch because they would have had the rest of the game to score enough to prevent that from happening.

All that coming from a Braves fan who is still bitter about the incorrect infield fly rule from the wild card game a couple of years ago.

That was a good 30 for 30 show. I've got 3 of the newer ones on the DVR that I still need to watch. Love that series.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #14
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Just finished it. Could've cut the thing in half by leaving all of the Red Sox shit out.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

One thing that the video pointed out that never gets talked about is that he had headphones on listening to the game. The broadcast was 5-10 seconds behind the game so he would have never known alou was there to catch the ball until it was too late.

But as a previous poster said. That whole series is on dusty Baker. He blew it harder than Sasha grey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

That Florida Marlins team was stacked.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Man I would move to a different city. People are crazy.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

This is a symptom of a fanbase that has a loser mentality. Complete and utter BS to blame it on this guy when Alex Gonzalez booted a double play that would have ended that inning. No one remembers that. Winners would have not acted like a baby in the outfield, and would have turned the double play.

The cubs fell apart because they are losers. no other way to put it. Alou starts slamming his glove acting like a baby, the blow a double play and lose.

Let me put it this way. Imagine this. Carolina is in the college world series. They face the bases loaded and bring the infield in. They get out of it due to incredible infield play and win the series.

oh. no need to imagine it, it's the way it happened. Win anyway is our motto. Lose anyway is theirs.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I disagree with those that say any fan would do the same thing. That is not true. Most home team fans would not do this because they know it hurts their own team. Probably a few would, yeah. I would hope that Carolina fans would also know better than to interfere with a popup play at the edge of the field, particularly when it would hurt the Gamecocks in a crucial situation.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I disagree with those that say any fan would do the same thing. That is not true. Most home team fans would not do this because they know it hurts their own team. Probably a few would, yeah. I would hope that Carolina fans would also know better than to interfere with a popup play at the edge of the field, particularly when it would hurt the Gamecocks in a crucial situation.
I was at the game saturday and a girl got out of the way and almost let the Bama 1st baseman grab it
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote