CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
markp_vip
ccured
roosterdude21
GarnetSwarm1990
2000grad
TRBTB
Morris to SMU (5752)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1850)
Clemson fans (1558)
Carolina on a Walmar (1296)
Game simulation (859)
End of the aTm / LSU (559)
Venables to TAMU? (556)
Have we been favored (423)
Women's Soccer Elite (350)
Origin Sale Too (276)
ray rice wins appeal
Phil Kronblut show
Vegas line moving on game
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Xbox One
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
marshall/WKU
Morris to SMU

Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Mystery: Men's Basketball Recruiting

Why does it seem our BB recruiting is done in secret? Is it a culture thing? Do the sportswriters in and around Columbia not put in the time and effort to bring us regular updates about who we are recruiting and what direction the coaches are taking? Or, does Frank Martin keep these things quiet until the kid verbally commits? I just read J. Thompson has had us on his list for over 6 months and we have never heard of him? He came to Columbia last week on a visit and it was reported by whom? No one that I know of that's who. Just curious as to why this is the case. It was the same last year. Out of nowhere we signed Reggie Theus Jr. and a couple of others. Maybe the answer is simple, but I wish these so called professional Gamecock Sportswriters would get more involved with the recruiting in Men's Basketball.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mystery: Men's Basketball Recruiting

I've read a lot of recruiting info from TBS/24/7, and they talked about a lot of targets we recruited for the 2014 class and beyond, but I don't think they ever mentioned Thompson...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I've read a lot of recruiting info from TBS/24/7, and they talked about a lot of targets we recruited for the 2014 class and beyond, but I don't think they ever mentioned Thompson...
They talk a lot about them, but usually about the ones we don't get. I find it strange we've been recruiting this guy this long and we don't hear about it. Then he takes a visit to Columbia last week and no one writes about it. then when he commits, John Whittle lists his source as The Advocate.

Maybe the late signing period efforts by our coaching staff are being held close to the vest. Either that, or the local beat writers don't put in the effort to bring the fans noteworthy info until it bites them on the nose.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Tbh if we are being secretive about guys that we want that might be under the radar players then I see full benefit to keeping it under the radar. Our track record with players everyone knows we want and need is not very good as a whole.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote