CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
Goofyboy
2000grad
rabid cock
markymark550
GarnetBlack&Blue
Talon1
Tired of night games (2223)
Luginbill says ECU s (2215)
Well, as it turns ou (2011)
What the heck is up (1616)
Next years RB situat (1574)
Coach Elliott pregam (1483)
Been a pleasure talk (1151)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1067)
ECU fan here (1064)
Freaky Coincidence o (875)
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
Shon Carson
Well, as it turns out, we
So, Vanderbilt is next
ECU fan here
Freaky Coincidence or Div
Verne lundquist
Larenz Bryant update?
Vanderbilt Stadium
2015 - Roquan Smith

Old 06-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Baseball Reflection & Outlook

Can't say I've felt this disappointed in a Gamecock baseball team in a while. My expectation before this year was to get to Omaha. We had nearly everyone come back from a team that almost did it last year so the bar was set high. We had arguably the most experienced team in the SEC this year. Didn't mean a damn thing in the end.

Injuries hit us throughout the year and Holbrook did a good job all things considered keeping the team together and getting to 40+ wins yet again.

However, injuries can't be an excuse for how we performed in the SECT and NCAAs. Schrock and Bright, when in the lineup were both swinging it well. Schrock had the most hits in the regional and Bright seemed to hit it on the screws every time albeit right at someone.

Unless we bring in a phenomenal group of hitters we may struggle a little more at the plate next year. Expect to lose English, Pankake, Greiner, and probably Martin as well to go along with Seddon, Beal, and potentially Montgomery from the pitching staff.

I imagine the lineup will look something like this:

1. Mooney SS
2. Bright RF
3. Schrock 2B
4. Widener DH/Steagall 1B
5. Arendas 3B
6. Caldwell/Harrington LF
7. Gene Cone CF
8. Logan Koch C
9. Scolamiero/Pike/Maxwell/Gore-who knows

Pitching (if no Monty):

Fri-Crowe
Sat-Wynkoop
Sun-Widener

Pitching will be stout again with most of our guys coming back. Meyers continues to do an outstanding job.

Coach of the Year- Jerry Meyers

Player of the Year- Grayson Greiner

Most Improved- Joel Seddon

Freshman of the Year- Wil Crowe

Sorry about the long post, decided to put down all my thoughts in to one post. Hope MD takes care of UVA so we don't look quite as bad. They were an impressive group and the better team over the weekend. Never buckled under pressure, but instead we did. Really makes you appreciate what our guys did in 2010-2012. Here's to a better season in 2015.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
CayceCock13
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CayceCock13 has feathers coming inCayceCock13 has feathers coming in
Default Re: Baseball Reflection & Outlook

Monty, Greiner, English, Pankake, Seddon, & Beal are definitely all gone. Martin may stay his final year to get his degree I've heard that it does mean a lot to him but I don't put a whole ton of stock into it.

I'd say it would look like:
C - Koch or Martin (JUCO Transfer) This spot's going to be a real question mark going into the fall.
1B - Widener or Steagall
2B - Schrock
SS - Mooney
3B - Arendas
LF - Cone
CF - Scolamiero
RF - Bright

Probable Rotation:
Crowe
Wynkoop
Destino - If he stays and passes up on the $$ and from everything I've heard that's a really good possibility atm.

This group definitely underachieved this season, disappointing end to the season would have at least thought going back to the Supers with this team but it didn't happen.

@CayceCock13

http://www.cockytalk.com/signaturepics/sigpic28019_1.gif
CayceCock13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayceCock13 View Post
Monty, Greiner, English, Pankake, Seddon, & Beal are definitely all gone. Martin may stay his final year to get his degree I've heard that it does mean a lot to him but I don't put a whole ton of stock into it.

C - Koch or Martin (JUCO Transfer) This spot's going to be a real question mark going into the fall.
1B - Widener or Steagall
2B - Schrock
SS - Mooney
3B - Arendas
LF - Cone
CF - Scolamiero
RF - Bright

Probable Rotation:
Crowe
Wynkoop
Destino - If he stays and passes up on the $$ and from everything I've heard that's a really good possibility atm.

This group definitely underachieved this season, disappointing end to the season would have at least thought going back to the Supers with this team but it didn't happen.

You're probably pretty close with this. It'll be interesting how we handle Widener and the roles that guys like Caldwell and Harrington will play. I feel like the coaches have penciled in Cone as a starter for his career but I'd like to see more offense from that spot. We'll see what happens.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayceCock13 View Post

1B - Widener or Steagall
2B - Schrock
SS - Mooney
3B - Arendas
LF - Cone
CF - Scolamiero
RF - Bright

Probable Rotation:
Crowe
Wynkoop

Not sure how many teams would have done better if you took their most consistent early season bat and best clutch hitter out of the line up for the majority of their conference season. Those 2 bats (+ Caldwell) being gone also put Greiner on the field a lot more than he should have had to be.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
Not sure how many teams would have done better if you took their most consistent early season bat and best clutch hitter out of the line up for the majority of their conference season. Those 2 bats (+ Caldwell) being gone also put Greiner on the field a lot more than he should have had to be.
Not having a consistent 2nd catcher to catch about 1/4 of the season really sucked. Greiner really wore down as the season went along.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Not having a consistent 2nd catcher to catch about 1/4 of the season really sucked. Greiner really wore down as the season went along.
I think Koch would have been ok if someone else could have picked up Grayson's offense. It was tough watching Grayson this weekend. You could see how tired he was and he was pressing at the plate because of it.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I was sad to see it end this way, but really all you can do is look back at what we have achieved in the decade. We did get to 40 wins this season, and that is an accomplishment. We can't win them all fellas.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
jcausc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 348
jcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spurs

Forrest Koumas was redshirted this year.. i see him in the weekend rotation
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcausc View Post
Forrest Koumas was redshirted this year.. i see him in the weekend rotation
He is still on the team?

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Ph/JDCock
Recruit

Male

Ph/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudlyPh/JDCock is crowing loudly

I have consistently read that Montgomery is likely gone. Based purely on performance, an 8-5 record with an ERA near 3.50 (with pedestrian velocity) doesn't seem like it would get him into the top 10 or 15 rounds of the draft. Is this a mind-made-up-time-to-move-on situation or is he expected to consider where he's drafted before finalizing his plans?

His stuff is similar to Michael Roth's, but Roth had much gaudier numbers his junior and senior years (14-3/1.06 ERA and 9-1/2.45 ERA, not including the legendary CWS performances), and he was ultimately only drafted in the ninth round.

Of course, teams are always looking for LHP, so there's no question he'll be drafted, but it seems like Monty might be someone who could improve his stock if he returned and dropped the ERA and loss totals.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
I have consistently read that Montgomery is likely gone. Based purely on performance, an 8-5 record with an ERA near 3.50 (with pedestrian velocity) doesn't seem like it would get him into the top 10 or 15 rounds of the draft. Is this a mind-made-up-time-to-move-on situation or is he expected to consider where he's drafted before finalizing his plans?

His stuff is similar to Michael Roth's, but Roth had much gaudier numbers his junior and senior years (14-3/1.06 ERA and 9-1/2.45 ERA, not including the legendary CWS performances), and he was ultimately only drafted in the ninth round.

Of course, teams are always looking for LHP, so there's no question he'll be drafted, but it seems like Monty might be someone who could improve his stock if he returned and dropped the ERA and loss totals.
You hit it on the head there.
LHP are at a higher premium that RHP.
I'm not sure Monty is a certain jump, but I will be surprised if he is in the garnet and black next year....I hope he is, but we will see.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
He is still on the team?
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...-season-138337
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #13
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

I don't see the offense improving next year. We had 4 guys this year that consistently hit and that was really it, and we're about to lose all 4 to the draft. And Koumas will not be in the weekend rotation. I would be shocked if he contributes at all. Struggled before TJS.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I'm not 100% sold on English and Martin leaving, but we'll see.

I'm hoping Forrest Koumas can get back to freshman year form. He can have a Nolan Belcher type year.

It is pretty clear that Wil Crowe will be the Friday night guy next year.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

This past season started out great, but ended not so much. I don't think we were ever as good as we thought we were early but not as bad is it may have looked this past weekend. The same issues glared all season long. Clutch hitting being one of those as well as base running blunders. Coaching can correct the base running but hitting I'm not so sure. Good season regardless, not great.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
This past season started out great, but ended not so much. I don't think we were ever as good as we thought we were early but not as bad is it may have looked this past weekend. The same issues glared all season long. Clutch hitting being one of those as well as base running blunders. Coaching can correct the base running but hitting I'm not so sure. Good season regardless, not great.
I think hitting may be where we need to make the improvement. I don't know if Chad is able to focus here to the extent he did when he was not the head coach. I know Gene Cone has an outside hitting instructor he has worked with and he really seems to have quality at bats even though his avg isn't that high. He has also had some nice clutch hits.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I guess English has a chance to leave, but should he really? He is the #9 hitter on a college baseball team. He's not a good hitter, and he's a speed guy but he's not good at stealing bases. All he would likely be in the pros is an outfield defensive specialist. Not exactly a sought after position. The likelihood of him making the big leagues is miniscule.

If he is being realistic, he should play out his college career, earn a degree, and get a job. Maybe parlay some of that Carolina good will into a successful business career.

Overall, it was a tough season by Carolina standards. Too many injuries, and not enough timely hitting. Maryland was simply better than us this weekend, and I tip my hat to them.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I guess English has a chance to leave, but should he really? He is the #9 hitter on a college baseball team. He's not a good hitter, and he's a speed guy but he's not good at stealing bases. All he would likely be in the pros is an outfield defensive specialist. Not exactly a sought after position. The likelihood of him making the big leagues is miniscule.

If he is being realistic, he should play out his college career, earn a degree, and get a job. Maybe parlay some of that Carolina good will into a successful business career.
I'd love to have English back. He is great in CF, and it'd be nice to still have a few players with CWS experience on the roster.

He was a 13th round pick in the 2011 draft. It'd be interesting to see if he goes any higher.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
jabrahamfan94
Walk On

Male

jabrahamfan94 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via AIM to jabrahamfan94

From what I'm hearing.. Koumas is transfering to d2 next year to finish out
jabrahamfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

We have got to change our hitting approach. It seems that teams who focus on line drives(singling) are the ones that are winning. We got beat by Arizona that way and haven't adjusted. It seems like everytime we get runners on , our guys swing for the fences.

Look at way Maryland did. Everytime they needed it they got a clutch basehit. Nothing spectacular, just well placed singles. There is no more hoping for a 3 run bomb with these bats. It's about time our coaching staff comes to terms with it and finds a way to fix the problem.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote