CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
b381l
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
conwaycock2
Travelin
Freshman ND WR " (1224)
Good Riddance to bad (627)
The Comeback & T (560)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
ESPN Game Day Commen (425)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (415)
Keeping tailgate foo (399)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (346)
Simple "yes&quo (301)
TeMarcus Blanton (291)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Simple "yes" or
Phil Steele just predicte
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rest of the season predic
Battlefield 4

Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Andre as Hendrix... trailer... not so sure

So the trailer for the upcoming Hendrix biography is out. That's Andre from Outkast as Hendrix.

I guess it looks like a good movie. I also think Andre appears to do a great job as Hendrix.

I'll reserve total judgment until it actually comes out and maybe we'll go see it. But I get a strange feeling after watching this trailer.

The feeling is, I'd rather listen to Hendrix than watch that movie and I can tell already. Hendrix is the one musician who is better than any other piece of art that his music is used in. When the song "If 6 was 9" came on "point break" I wanted to turn "point break" off and go listen to "if 6 was 9". And I can tell already that Hendrix' music is better than this movie, and I'd rather spend my time listening to his music than watching this movie.

It's just a weird thing about Hendrix. To me it doesn't happen with any other musician. But Jimi Hendrix was so damn good that any attempt to talk about him, portray him, or use his music somehow is nowhere near as good as the real thing in my opinion.

That trailer doesn't interest me in the movie, it interests me in going and listening to Jimi Hendrix.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material
Default Re: Andre as Hendrix... trailer... not so sure

So go listen to Hendrix, then go see the movie, then go listen to MOAR Hendrix
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

i'm curious but I won't see it until it is on netflix or dvd or something. I also totally get what Spare is talking about there are a few artists and Jimi would be at the top of the list that being in used in the movie makes me want to go listen to the music. A lot of times though I really want notice it in the movie and then the next day I will have an unconscious craving to hear more
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

I want to listen to Hendrix all the time, but that trailer makes me want to have a total Hendrix immersion

Also, extremely hot women in that movie
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Looks pretty interesting. I've always been a Hendix fan but the only movie that I liked his music in was Easy Rider (excepting the Woodstock videos, of course)
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

in that respect the film not having the rights to jimi's music could be a blessing, assuming the film is good. my response when watching dre act has almost always been hes a great rapper, but this might be the role he was born to play if thats too cliche.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...-side-20140705
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Good, glad this is being done. The other movie made about his life was horrible.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

not completely on board with it. One of Hendrix' girlfriends wasn't really approving of it either.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
will feature new recordings of Benjamin covering the Beatles, Muddy Waters and more, producers tell Rolling Stone. The film will not, however, include any songs written by Hendrix, the rights to which are controlled by the late guitarist's estate.
Hendrix at 70: Rolling Stone archives, photos, trivia and more
Last month, Experience Hendrix LLC, which oversees the Hendrix estate, issued a statement regarding the movie, which has been in production for four months. The company, which is run by Hendrix's sister Janie, said that it "has made it known many times in the past that no such film, were it to include original music or copyrights created by Jimi Hendrix, can be undertaken without its full participation."
Instead, the film – set in London in 1966 and 1967 – will include Benjamin's new versions of covers that Hendrix performed during those years, shortly before the release of his landmark debut, Are You Experienced. Audiences will see Benjamin singing "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (which Hendrix famously performed in a London club with members of the Beatles in the audience), "Wild Thing," "Hound Dog," Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" and Elmore James' "Bleeding Heart," plus two songs, "Future Trip" and "Driving South," that Hendrix played as a backup musician for Curtis Knight and the Squires.
so no Hendrix penned material

If I had the choice (and I think I do), I watch the James Brown biopic coming...though watching both is what I will probably do...it will be on a Sunday...I figure they will be good to see while catching some A/C and the Theater sound system should be pretty good.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post

If I had the choice (and I think I do), I watch the James Brown biopic coming...though watching both is what I will probably do...it will be on a Sunday...I figure they will be good to see while catching some A/C and the Theater sound system should be pretty good.
Sounds like the film-maker could not meet the demands of the Hendrix estate. IMO, that should have resulted in terminating the effort.

I don't know much about the history of Hendrix. Possibly, the estate objected to some of the content (drugs, sex, race, etc.) and it wasn't a monetary issue. If that is the case, that makes it sadder. I would like to know more about him so I might rent this movie. He is kind of an enigma especially with the LSD he was taking in the 60s. That whole 60s acid scene is under reported by historians. I guess Ken Kesey's Electric Coolaid Acid Trip is about the only written account of that period . . . and that was historical fiction and about the west coast side of things.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Sounds like the film-maker could not meet the demands of the Hendrix estate. IMO, that should have resulted in terminating the effort.

I don't know much about the history of Hendrix. Possibly, the estate objected to some of the content (drugs, sex, race, etc.) and it wasn't a monetary issue. If that is the case, that makes it sadder. I would like to know more about him so I might rent this movie. He is kind of an enigma especially with the LSD he was taking in the 60s. That whole 60s acid scene is under reported by historians. I guess Ken Kesey's Electric Coolaid Acid Trip is about the only written account of that period . . . and that was historical fiction and about the west coast side of things.
Not sure why his estate would be against drug use, sexual content etc. Hendrix was known for his heavy use of LSD and Marijuana, and his apparent love of 3somes. The guy is a legend though, and he deserves to have his story told.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
It didn't stop Devo.

Just sayin ...
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Can't speak for the movie, but they couldn't have picked a better guy for the job.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
Can't speak for the movie, but they couldn't have picked a better guy for the job.
Yup...Andre is one talented guy....and the estate of JH missed a chance to be a part of something special.

JH died almost 45 years ago.....likely half of of the people going to this movie have none of his music.

So if they buy anything after seeing the movie, it's the sound track and none of Jimi's originals?

Was good to see some original Marshall stacks in the back line in the trailer.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote