CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
StormOfTalons
Cockypantherfan
rolinb1
The Yancey
ACPhilson
Lonnie
TJ Holloman (1650)
Spurrier accepts coc (1211)
They are coming to y (885)
How are we feeling a (673)
2013 game vs TN is o (607)
We lost a great Game (590)
Hard Knocks this wee (438)
Favorite Gamecock of (416)
"Penis Collecto (345)
This helmit is aweso (336)
Browns announce Hoyer as
Clowney possibly hurt
This helmit is awesome
Clemson RB Out for Year
Hard Knocks this week.
Clowney leaves practice
World of Warcraft
Scrimmage tonight?
Vote for Browns starting
2013 game vs TN is on SEC

Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material
Default How Stupid Are The Folks Running WIS?

The folks who are in charge of WIS have got to be the stupidest people in the local news business. They always seem to be sending their best people packing. I just heard that local news anchor Ben Hoover's contract was not renewed for some unknown reason. What a joke! One of their best, young anchors who was committed to the local community and they didn't even have the courtesy to inform him beforehand. Seems like the decision makers about such things (mainly Donita Todd) are the ones who need to go. First Craig Melvin and now this. I will no longer watch WIS for anything local. Gonna strictly be WLTX for me.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default Re: How Stupid Are The Folks Running WIS?

So why wasn't he renewed? Any chance Hoover tried to leverage a bigger deal than WIS was willing to pay?

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

WIS has had a revolving door for a while because it's a great stepping stone to bigger markets. I'm pretty sure most of them have just moved on to bigger opportunities. Craig Melvin left for an NBC affiliate in DC, Jody Barr just left for a position in Cincinnati. I don't really see a problem with those, as they voluntary moves by the reporter.

The Ben Hoover situation has left a bad taste in people's mouths as (supposedly) his contract was not renewed. He wasn't even given a final broadcast or any kind of notice. Seems odd after all they did during the snow days was pimp him out, showing his dedication when he walked to work.

But, as always, there are two sides to every story. He may have wanted more money than they were willing to pay. WIS has refused to comment, so I'm guessing we'll never know.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
WIS has had a revolving door for a while because it's a great stepping stone to bigger markets. I'm pretty sure most of them have just moved on to bigger opportunities. Craig Melvin left for an NBC affiliate in DC, Jody Barr just left for a position in Cincinnati. I don't really see a problem with those, as they voluntary moves by the reporter.

The Ben Hoover situation has left a bad taste in people's mouths as (supposedly) his contract was not renewed. He wasn't even given a final broadcast or any kind of notice. Seems odd after all they did during the snow days was pimp him out, showing his dedication when he walked to work.

But, as always, there are two sides to every story. He may have wanted more money than they were willing to pay. WIS has refused to comment, so I'm guessing we'll never know.
I actually saw Craig Melvin reporting for MSNBC the other day so he has moved up to the big time. He is married to one of ESPN's sports center anchors Lindsay Czarniak.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I actually saw Craig Melvin reporting for MSNBC the other day so he has moved up to the big time. He is married to one of ESPN's sports center anchors Lindsay Czarniak.
Yes he's moved up from that DC affiliate as well. He's anchors MSNBC on weekends and does special reports on the Today Show often. He's basically the Lester Holt fill-in
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Jody Barr leaving is the best news I've read in a while.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
The folks who are in charge of WIS have got to be the stupidest people in the local news business. They always seem to be sending their best people packing. I just heard that local news anchor Ben Hoover's contract was not renewed for some unknown reason. What a joke! One of their best, young anchors who was committed to the local community and they didn't even have the courtesy to inform him beforehand. Seems like the decision makers about such things (mainly Donita Todd) are the ones who need to go. First Craig Melvin and now this. I will no longer watch WIS for anything local. Gonna strictly be WLTX for me.
So you don't know why they let him go, so it's obvious the people running the station are stupid? I like the way you think.

Being an anchor is more than just showing up and reading a teleprompter. You do actually work with other people when the camera isn't on. All of the people that are mad at WIS for firing Ben never stopped to think that maybe him being let go is related to stuff that's happening when he's not in front of a camera. But hey, we live in the social media lynch mob age where the immediate reaction to anything we don't like is to pull out the pitch forks, so carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
So why wasn't he renewed? Any chance Hoover tried to leverage a bigger deal than WIS was willing to pay?
I have a friend who works at WIS. He thinks this may have been a part of it, but they haven't been told any specific details as of this afternoon when I last talked to him either.

Quote:

Hoover would have gotten a final broadcast but he posted about getting canned on Facebook and his post created a lot of controversy, so the station opted to tell him not to come in for his last day.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

I know change is inevitable, especially so as the pace and technological worlds influence things, but it is amazing to see how far WIS seems to have fallen.

I have hardly watched local news in many ages, but I can't help recall how vastly different it was when first moving to Columbia in 1969.

WIS was so far ahead of other local stations in terms of new broadcasts, it was like a professional group being compared to a Junior High School production.

So many greats moved through WIS, including two who became lifers at ETV, Berryl Dakkers (ms?) and Jim Welch, Joe Petty with the sports who helped with broadcasting all the home Carolina basketball games not carried by regional or national TV during the Golden Age of McGuire, and Joe Daggott, several great weathermen, and many great anchors like Joe Carter and Susan Aude and reporters who stayed for well over a decade and most retired there.

It was the standard, not only in Columbia, but the entire state and beyond the borders. It was easily the best local broadcasting unit I had ever seen for a "small market". It took a very long time for the competition to become serious rivals.

Eh, another sign of getting old, and missing the simplicity in many things of bygone days.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
So you don't know why they let him go, so it's obvious the people running the station are stupid? I like the way you think.

Being an anchor is more than just showing up and reading a teleprompter. You do actually work with other people when the camera isn't on. All of the people that are mad at WIS for firing Ben never stopped to think that maybe him being let go is related to stuff that's happening when he's not in front of a camera. But hey, we live in the social media lynch mob age where the immediate reaction to anything we don't like is to pull out the pitch forks, so carry on.

I have a friend who works at WIS. He thinks this may have been a part of it, but they haven't been told any specific details as of this afternoon when I last talked to him either.

Hoover would have gotten a final broadcast but he posted about getting canned on Facebook and his post created a lot of controversy, so the station opted to tell him not to come in for his last day.
I think there would've been less controversy if they just let him have the opportunity of a final broadcast. A lot of people are upset over that.

WIS released a statement yesterday that seemed to tick off more people when they said that much of the comments said about Hoover's firing were "erroneous". Bad job of PR.

Anyways, its kind of funny seeing every news post from WIS on facebook being blown up by "Bring Ben Back" or "Switching to WLTX" posts.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post

Being an anchor is more than just showing up and reading a teleprompter. You do actually work with other people when the camera isn't on. All of the people that are mad at WIS for firing Ben never stopped to think that maybe him being let go is related to stuff that's happening when he's not in front of a camera. But hey, we live in the social media lynch mob age where the immediate reaction to anything we don't like is to pull out the pitch forks.

I don't think the entire news cast including producers would all get together and have a big birthday/going away party for him if he was such a "bad guy off camera" everybody in the news room loved Ben.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

They can afford 4 meteorologists but not 1 decent news anchor? Gimmee a break!!!

Last edited by Roosterdog; 07-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

It's a tough business. They whacked 5 anchors in Jax recently due to ratings and they were bought by a new company (Cox).
Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Man, it seems people like the guy...lot of support on their Facebook page for him.

At any rate, I have to say I don't watch local news or depend on an anchor to "deliver' my news. I kind of go after it and rely on social media to spread it out.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Craig Melvin upgraded, he's big time in NBC now and is on the Today show at times.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
StormOfTalons
4-Star

Male

StormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudlyStormOfTalons is crowing loudly

Pretty much every local news outlet in SC sucks.
StormOfTalons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

The social media reaction has been insane. Every story WIS posts has been hijacked by Ben Hoover supporters.

I will say that WIS has been gradually posting more and more clickbait and random stories that really aren't newsworthy and do not relate to Columbia on social media. That has been a bit annoying.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
The social media reaction has been insane. Every story WIS posts has been hijacked by Ben Hoover supporters.

I will say that WIS has been gradually posting more and more clickbait and random stories that really aren't newsworthy and do not relate to Columbia on social media. That has been a bit annoying.
I don't follow WIS on facebook but I'd like to see if there have been more postings per day since the Hoover announcement for the purpose of distracting people away from what happened.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I don't follow WIS on facebook but I'd like to see if there have been more postings per day since the Hoover announcement for the purpose of distracting people away from what happened.
Eh, about the same from what I can tell. I follow them because it has been convenient to have local stories pop up on my news feed.

However, in the past few months, it has been more of...

"SHOCKING [event a] in [place b], READ and WATCH HERE!"
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yeah, I unfollowed them due to this. "Hey everyone, what do you think about this incident that has little or nothing to do with you but is incredibly divisive?" Reading some of those comments made me wish access to the Internet required some sort of license.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:

Very frustrating to see all the clickbait from a news outlet. But I guess it's the way of the world now in trying to drive more hits to your site.