CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
B-G
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
CockFighter
Big Spur
Sandstorm29
aTm demolishes Kyle (978)
Connor to be backup? (886)
Cocky at the Duck Co (883)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (310)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (209)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (158)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (146)
How would a man writ (128)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (119)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (104)
My early Monday dinner .
Cocky at the Duck Command
QB Next Season?
The Vent and Coaching cha
Greatest Gamecock Players
Carolina ranked #21 prese
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Greatest Gamecock Players
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So, why is next year goin

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

CockyCash: 500
Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous
Default After being at current job for 2 months, previous job calls ....

With a job offer that might end up being too good to turn down. I left a company I worked for nearly 10+ years at to take a management position recently. Well, 2 months later, my previous employer gets in contact with me and wants to make me an offer to come back as a manager there.

It's a company that I really enjoyed working for and it was tough at the time for me to leave. I'm weighing it heavily, but I'm just not the type of guy to switch jobs like that so soon after only being on the current one for 2 months. But at the same time, this new job offer (from previous employer) is more money, and it's a product and company that I'm very familiar and comfortable with.

Anybody else have any similar experiences?
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: After being at current job for 2 months, previous job calls ....

I have not been in that situation but I also had that same fear. After graduation, I was working at a part time, paid internship while searching for full time work. I interviewed for a promising full time position that ended up cutting all hiring down to part time positions only. So they offered me part time. I could work it in addition to my current internship and split time evenly, but it didn't get me any closer to my goal of full time work. And I knew as soon as that full time offer came through from somewhere else, I would be leaving both of them. Problem was, I didn't know if that full time offer would come tomorrow or 6 months down the road.

I panicked and declined the offer because I was afraid I would just be turning around and leaving directly after. I don't necessarily regret my decision because I'm now in a full time job that I enjoy, but the whole situation made me think. I now believe that it's your job and you need to do what's best for you. From the way it sounds, if you don't take this other position you will be regretting it. It may make for some hard (and awkward) times now leaving two months in but it will work out best in the long run. You don't "owe" you current position anything.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I would agree. If you liked your old job and only left because you got a better opportunity, then I would go back to the previous employer. They are offering you a better job at a place you liked.

Also, not sure if longevity matters at your old employee in terms of any retirement or benefits that they have but if you come back now, you will probably keep your continuous years of employment.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I'm going through the same sort of situation now.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

It must be worth your while to make that change. Whether it's better money, shorter commute, better hours, whatever... They chose you so they see your skills. Now make them prove how much they want you and if that's going to improve you and your family's life.

Sounds like you've got them right where you want them! Good luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Just remember this - You work for yourself / your family.

Don't ever burn bridges. - But if a good opportunity comes along that would significantly improve your career / compensation, you need to give a good long look at it. No matter if you were just at a job for 1 week or 10 years.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

All good advice, guys. I greatly appreciate it.

I'm still in a probationary period here at my current job with 30 days still left, so I don't see it being a huge blow for them. But I'll certainly take the necessary steps to avoid burning bridges here as well.

I'm really kind of blown away that my previous employer is interested in bringing me back, and into management. Not that I wasn't capable, I just didn't realize they thought that much of me is all.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I see lots of this due to Govt. contractors hiring and then laying people off. Job security is not what it once was and most everyone knows this.

It's really just business, although you don't want to burn bridges. Most everyone that has moved up, did it moving around and it's expected.

I would say you need to take the offer and move on. While you make take it personal, it's still business and jobs can be here today and gone tomorrow. Your current employer should understand and respect your decision.

And congrats!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

When I graduated from college, it took me nearly a year to finally land a decent full-time, salaried job... I was extremely excited about the opportunity and looking forward to working with this company- the position only paid $30k/year with very limited promotion potential, but was a relaxed environment/small private company, work from home, set your own schedule type of deal... and if done correctly, would give me a week of vacation per month. I completed two weeks of training when I received a call from another entity who I had previously interviewed with and they offered me a position paying $40k the first year with an automatic raise to $50k after that. This employer also happened to be a huge organization with tons of room for promotion, benefits, retirement, etc. I was totally surprised that I landed this job because I interviewed for it the day after Cinco de Mayo so I was slightly hungover and I was 15 minutes late. I later found out that they decided to hire me based on specific question that I asked- "what skillset do you believe is most important to succeed in this position?" ...idk the guy apparently thought that meant that I really wanted to know what it took to be a great employee, so he told the guy to hire me as soon as I left the room. Anyways, taking the bigger job was the more responsible/future-oritented decision, so I did so... I felt bad about having to leave the company so soon after they had given me an opportunity that I had been working for for a year. What are the odds? Takes me a year to find a decent job and then I get offered another one two weeks later. Anyways, that's my kinda similar experience.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

I've heard that it's a bad idea to, when putting in a 2 week notice and your current employer offers you more money to accept it. Basically, it shows to them you're just in it for the money and in their mind they can't really trust you.

This situation seems completely different. It also might be worth looking to see what the position is, who it'd report to, etc. Is this the result of a firing, or was it just someone promoted or left? Hopefully the person wasn't demoted or anything of that nature.

In short, you have to do what's best for you and your fam first and foremost. It sounds like you put in a lot of time there, and perhaps it wasn't until you left that they thought of you in that context. It also sounds like you have a very high opinion of that company, and I assume those who reached out to you. With all that, if I were in your shoes I'd take the job.

Regarding your current company now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. These days, most companies would do something similar, and it sounds like since you're on a probationary period they could cut you loose for no reason whatsoever if they wanted to. It's a business decision basicaly on your part. In an effort to not burn bridges, if you do decide to take the other job, make it clear that you enjoyed working for that company, you didn't interview or seek out any position, and you're doing it because it's what's best for you and your family.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #11
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000556
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
I've heard that it's a bad idea to, when putting in a 2 week notice and your current employer offers you more money to accept it. Basically, it shows to them you're just in it for the money and in their mind they can't really trust you.

This situation seems completely different. It also might be worth looking to see what the position is, who it'd report to, etc. Is this the result of a firing, or was it just someone promoted or left? Hopefully the person wasn't demoted or anything of that nature.

In short, you have to do what's best for you and your fam first and foremost. It sounds like you put in a lot of time there, and perhaps it wasn't until you left that they thought of you in that context. It also sounds like you have a very high opinion of that company, and I assume those who reached out to you. With all that, if I were in your shoes I'd take the job.

Regarding your current company now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. These days, most companies would do something similar, and it sounds like since you're on a probationary period they could cut you loose for no reason whatsoever if they wanted to. It's a business decision basicaly on your part. In an effort to not burn bridges, if you do decide to take the other job, make it clear that you enjoyed working for that company, you didn't interview or seek out any position, and you're doing it because it's what's best for you and your family.
Employers should know it's all about the money to most people. In this posters case it tells them that they better pay him what he is worth or he'll leave them again. What I've seen done is some folks will ask for a raise and if they get denied they look for a better job. Then when they find that job, they tell the employer to match the other companies pay, or they are resigning in two weeks. If the employer wants the employee bad enough they will pay.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Quote:

Yeah, there were talks of trying to get me to stay when I initially put in my 2 weeks notice, but I declined any talks related to that. This was a step-up for me professionally into a management position, and I just couldn't pass it up. I didn't want to get into a bidding war so to speak.

My previous employer has decided to create a similar position within their company, a new position, and they want me to fill it. So, I'm not replacing anybody, this will be a brand new spot within the company.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree with this.

It's sort of similar to a marriage- as soon as either spouse says the 'D' word...its over. As soon as you tell your employer you're leaving...its over.

Sure, you can decide to stay for more money, but if you were to do that- most of the time, thats a card you can only play once.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
I agree with this.

It's sort of similar to a marriage- as soon as either spouse says the 'D' word...its over. As soon as you tell your employer you're leaving...its over.

Sure, you can decide to stay for more money, but if you were to do that- most of the time, thats a card you can only play once.
Just be happy you don't have to give your boss half of your sh#t when you leave.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Fully agree, but does anyone else think that is highly hypocritical of employers?

Aren't businesses in the business of making as much money as possible? So why would an employer see that has bad business for an individual to do the same thing.

Businesses are in it for the money, why can't their employees be as well?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:

Depends on the size of the raise. Many companies will offer a little more just because the amount they stand to lose by having to train a new employee. So the question is are they offering you more to cut their losses or more becuase they can't stand to lose you. If it's option A go ahead and leave if it's B then probably stay if it's a lot more money(Unless you hate the place of course).
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

It sounds to me like you are making a good decision...especially since you are in the probationary period. My only concern would be that if your new job does not work out, it may raise a red flag to potential future employers that you have jumped around some. However, I think that could easily be explained especially since you were never really making lateral moves between companies. As an employer, I would never be upset at someone for making a decision that bettered their life and bettered the lives of their family members....afterall, it truly is just business. If they lay a guilt trip on you, just remind them that they had not problems hiring you away from another company and now another has done the same. They may throw the kitchen sink at you to keep your job and I think that you should really consider it...just remember who was the first person to offer you the managerial position and saw the potential that you obviously possessed.
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'd say take the new offer.
You like the company, give more money for what sounds like a similar management job.

I would go to your current employer and see if they would be willing to match or exceed what your former employer is offering you. Who knows, they may up your pay.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'd say take the new offer.
You like the company, give more money for what sounds like a similar management job.

I would go to your current employer and see if they would be willing to match or exceed what your former employer is offering you. Who knows, they may up your pay.
It's almost the exact same title that I currently have with my present company. Except I'll have 10+ years of experience with previous company's product. Here at new company, I have a steep learning curve with the new product and it's going to take me awhile to understand things unfortunately.

Seems like a no-brainer. I'm still in my probationary period with 30 days left, so it won't be a huge blow for them.

I appreciate everybody's input on this, seems like a unanimous "Yes, you should do it."