CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
GamecockSuperFan
Take-a-Knee
kabercr2
kingofnerf
Gamecocks321
Spurticus
Captain9Dragons
taylorssc
Cocklover
**USC vs. South Alab (16978)
TV?? (1817)
Drew Owens missing? (1562)
Clemson (1163)
Awful Shooting Conti (913)
Question about after (769)
Gamecock Men Have Be (759)
Dylan Thompson surpa (559)
Prayers needed!!! (371)
How about this scena (327)
Dylan Thompson surpasses
Question about after the
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Clemson
Louisville vs. Notre Dame
2 Carolina-Clemson Tix Se
Should UNC get death pena
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Fly_over tomorrow?
Lineup Changes (Offense)

Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Gamecocks 1933 Conference Champs

Ok so I apologize if this has been posted before but I can't find anything on it. But The Real USC won the 1933 Southern Conference Championship, to be exact they were co-champs with Duke that season. The Southern Conference nor The University acknowledge this conference championship does anyone know why? I just find it interesting because all other schools acknowledge all old championships regardless of what year they were won.

We also won the ACC in 1965 but this was later disallowed by the ACC for violating their rules. But Clemson gets to keep a National title after violating NCAA rules?

It just seems that there has possibly been a lot of wrongdoings in the past by Conferences we were members of and maybe this is the reason we stayed independent for so long. I would also like to note for those that aren't aware being independent was once a more popular route for schools than it is today.

Can any of you older Gamecocks do some digging or let me know about these things thank you ahead of time.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit
Default Re: Gamecocks 1933 Conference Champs

I don't know how to get people to see my thread lol.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

I guess by posting here will keep it where someone might see it.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
USCswimming
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCswimming is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
I don't know how to get people to see my thread lol.
I don't have much to add as a young Gamecock myself. Got me curious though and this was an interesting read...

http://www.thestate.com/2009/10/11/9...itle-team.html

and another questionably credible link:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/761838-1981-clemson-2004-usc-football-national-champions
USCswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCswimming View Post
I don't have much to add as a young Gamecock myself. Got me curious though and this was an interesting read...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/761838-1981-clemson-2004-usc-football-national-champions
A few things come to my mind reading those 2 links....things that I'm sure have crossed my mind about this whole issue in the past, and things I'm sure have crossed the minds of many, many other Gamecock fans:

First off, an argument has been in the past that the NCAA technically have not awarded or named any college FB programs with titles of national championships. That has always been done by the media and consensus of general population (national polls). Therefore, when a NC program is found to have violated NCAA rules during it's NC run, the NCAA can penalize the program with sanctions: reducing scholarships, having games involving ineligible players voided from record, banning post-season bowl eligibility. But they typically have left it up to others if the national title should be stripped.

Of course the NCAA went beyond that regarding SoCal in 2004, but I believe one of the games deemed voided was SoCal's bowl win that earned them the national title, and then the AP or someone decided that since the NCAA voided the game they played that won them the NC, then the NC had to be voided as well. I can't remember the details there too clearly...

One thing that strikes me immediately though: conferences can and do punish and void conference titles and achievements if it's determined that programs violate the rules. In 1965, it appears the ACC investigated and punished USC by voiding conference wins and revoking the co-championship from USC. The infractions I've read about thus far involved 3 FB players - one of which was on the freshman squad, and couldn't have played in any varsity games that season. The implication was $75-$100 in payments for meals and school books.

Then we read about the penalties that Clemson was found to be guilty of in the late 70s-early 80s. The listing of which was quite extensive and far more egregious than anything I've seen USC accused of in 1965.

But even though the ACC investigated Clemson like they did USC, and even though the ACC found Clemson guilty in violations that they added further penalties onto what the NCAA layed down - the ACC apparently allowed Clemson to keep their 1981 ACC conference title, while stripping USC of it's 1965 co-championship.

Another thing: I didn't like reading the article from The State, was all the vagueness and clouds regarding exactly WHAT the penalties were in 1965, and who committed them. All the coaches and players at the time seem to indicate that they all lived in a fog during that year, were never informed exactly WHY their achievement was being taken away, and didn't seem to really care or bother to find out why it was.

All kinda like, "hey we won a ACC title....oh, you're taking the title away from us and won't tell us why? OK, that's fine, cause we still won it anyways. We'll just move on".

That doesn't make any sense to me....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

The two best posters that I know of concerning the history of our program are brat and Spurticus....and Yancey...if those guys don't know, then I don't know who to turn to.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCswimming View Post

Both Interesting I feel like if the ACC could have they would have done something to take away our 1969 title they never cared for us.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

I've wondered this alot myself, I have no idea. The ACC had rules that were strange, I swear, I think some of it was to keep the division between the haves and have-nots. We've been so screwed before, it feels like we're born to lose, but defying fate these days.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I've wondered this alot myself, I have no idea. The ACC had rules that were strange, I swear, I think some of it was to keep the division between the haves and have-nots. We've been so screwed before, it feels like we're born to lose, but defying fate these days.
I know the feeling honestly but things have clearly changed, Lou got us more consistent but HBC has taken us to new heights!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
USCGrad90
Alumni

Male

USCGrad90 has hatched from the shell

In 1933 - I think people recognize Duke first because they won more games (9-1/4-0) than USC (6-3/3-0.) Technically we were co-champs because the teams both were undefeated in league play. They did not play balanced schedules or each other, so it makes it a little hard to clearly identify a champion. I can understand not promoting it as a banner waving item - since it raises questions and dispute.

As far as the penalties for losing the 1965 ACC championship are concerned - the NCAA and ACC have shown that they are inconsistent on penalties and how they strip teams of games. I think the only other team I can think of that the ACC stripped is GT in 2009.
USCGrad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Yeah, the last thing we need to do is put of a banner with an asterisk on it, from almost 100 years ago..

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous

To answer, the 1933 question, Duke is recognized as the conference champion that year by virtue of a 4-0 conference record and higher ranking. As for the 1965 championship team, I think it had to do with ineligible players, but not 100% sure.
GarnetBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Ask Spurty about this topic....He was a Junior at the time....
Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlackAttack View Post
To answer, the 1933 question, Duke is recognized as the conference champion that year by virtue of a 4-0 conference record and higher ranking. As for the 1965 championship team, I think it had to do with ineligible players, but not 100% sure.
Yes I have found that we bought books and a few meals for 3 players and that got our conference title scrapped? Complete BS there is such double standard in College sports. We won it on the field but we paid for a few guys to eat and read a text book? I say we post the banner and F*** the asheshe. It's not like we bought cars and paid cash money to players.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Yes I have found that we bought books and a few meals for 3 players and that got our conference title scrapped? Complete BS there is such double standard in College sports. We won it on the field but we paid for a few guys to eat and read a text book? I say we post the banner and F*** the asheshe. It's not like we bought cars and paid cash money to players.
Can't say that I disagree with anything you stated.
GarnetBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlackAttack View Post
Can't say that I disagree with anything you stated.
When all this player stipend stuff goes through I say we appeal this ruling because what we did in 1965 is about to become OK. Like it should have been when we did it.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
nin_usc_freak92
Class of 2015

Male

CockyCash: 3400
nin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPitnin_usc_freak92 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Yeah, the last thing we need to do is put of a banner with an asterisk on it, from almost 100 years ago..

That's pathetic. If you don't represent your division in the title game you shouldn't boast about winning your division.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

ACC? Never heard of her*
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSt. Louis Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Beaver View Post
ACC? Never heard of her*
The ACC? It's the Almost Competitive Conference.
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
monkey22
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 415
monkey22 has hatched from the shell

I personally would like to see the ACC Championship banner removed from the stadium...not much of an accomplishment if you ask me....definitely not worth bragging about
monkey22 is offline   Reply With Quote