CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
gamecockgal
l^l^lBGCock
A. Pilgrim
jrussjr
Acockolypse Now
ktguen
thekob
COCKYTALKIN
spareparts
Tired of night games (1923)
Luginbill says ECU s (1471)
Cooper (1391)
Next years RB situat (1283)
20 of 31 former play (1256)
What the heck is up (1237)
Coach Elliott pregam (1236)
Well, as it turns ou (1094)
Been a pleasure talk (988)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (770)
A serious question for th
2015 - Roquan Smith
Tired of night games
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Quarles is a Colt!
Wake Forest recruiting...
SMU job - Spurrier Jr.?
No Gurley near the goal l
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
where's cack's toast of t

Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Bed Sores has feathers coming inBed Sores has feathers coming in
Default Howdy Gamecocks!

I come in peace so put down your pitch forks. I have been an Aggie fan since the early to mid 80s

I rarely register at sites for our opponents but decided to for whatever reason. This place reminds me just a little of our very own (texags.com) By the way, ignore most of what you read in the Aggie football section. Its nick named The Zoo for a good cause.

Lets get started. I have predicted the following
Gamecocks 28
Fight'n Texas Aggies 25

Only because of these facts. Aggies going on the road to a tough opponent, question mark on defense and its the first game of the season. I feel that our defense will look greatly improved in the last half of the season. I really wish this game wasn't the first game of the year. Oh well... I keep hearing that our QB Kenny Hill will be "shook" due to crowd noise and atmosphere. I couldn't disagree more. It is rare that a QB is shook these days from crowd noise. In my time I have witnessed this most with QBs that played at much smaller schools IE non conference games. Ironically though, there is a youtube video of a t.u QB that couldn't get the snap off due to crowd noise at Kyle Field. The referees actually threatened penalties if our crowd didn't quiet down. Dont believe me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUxFE2oJ-M

These kids that play in the SEC are a cut above the average college football player. If they cant handle crowd noise they shouldn't be in the 2 deep. This is not a knock on yalls stadium or fan base btw. I know yall will have the stadium packed with 80+k and yall are very passionate.

Getting to the nit and gritty. I watched yalls spring game. I feel like I got a decent grasp for yalls current team. I know a spring game/scrimmage is not the most accurate way to assess a team but you can take away some things. This is what I gathered. I love yalls running game. It seems like most programs these days have a nice RB corps but yalls is a cut above. Yall have a weapon or two at WR. Shaq was one that I can remember. Yall's offensive line was either really freaking good or yall have taken a step or two back in the front 7 on defense. Its really hard to tell. Yall often talk bad about your secondary but I thought they looked good in the spring game. Unlike our secondary yalls DB's tackle and don't blow assignments. I was not impressed with Dylan Thompson. But I don't think he's going to be a huge factor either way in our game. Coach Spurrier is one of the very best. I assume he's going to run the ball a lot and keep the passing game very conservative meaning Dylan wont throw the ball down field much. For the record, I don't think Dylan is horrible. I just think his ceiling isn't very high. He's smart and committed but is a career back up as far as the NCAA level is concerned.

As far as our fans. Please treat them with respect. I say this because next year when you come to College Station you will be impressed. Our fans take pride in being friendly and helpful. Prepare yourselves while in College Station to hear a bunch of "Howdy, welcome to Aggieland" We will buy you a beer after the game and ask you how your travels were. Just an example, but in 2004 and 05 we played Clemson. They came to Kyle Field first and after they got back their President caught wind from the students and fans about their experience. Long story short, Clemson fans claim their President put out a mass email to the students asking them to be on their best behavior while our fans where in town. He apparently wanted to return the favor to our fans

Lastly, ignore everything you will hear from our former rivals from the Big 12. t.u, Texas Tceh and baylor. 90% of what you will read is totally fabricated or greatly exaggerated. Every fan base has some rotten apples but I must say we have very few rotten apples and police our own.

Looking forward to the game. Wish I could be there but Ill be watching. Ill stop by win or lose after the game.

Gig'em
Bed Sores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Howdy Gamecocks!

cool story.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Spotter22
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPitSpotter22 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post
I come in peace so put down your pitch forks. I have been an Aggie fan since the early to mid 80s

I rarely register at sites for our opponents but decided to for whatever reason. This place reminds me just a little of our very own (texags.com) By the way, ignore most of what you read in the Aggie football section. Its nick named The Zoo for a good cause.

Gamecocks 28
Fight'n Texas Aggies 25

Only because of these facts. Aggies going on the road to a tough opponent, question mark on defense and its the first game of the season. I feel that our defense will look greatly improved in the last half of the season. I really wish this game wasn't the first game of the year. Oh well... I keep hearing that our QB Kenny Hill will be "shook" due to crowd noise and atmosphere. I couldn't disagree more. It is rare that a QB is shook these days from crowd noise. In my time I have witnessed this most with QBs that played at much smaller schools IE non conference games. Ironically though, there is a youtube video of a t.u QB that couldn't get the snap off due to crowd noise at Kyle Field. The referees actually threatened penalties if our crowd didn't quiet down. Dont believe me?

These kids that play in the SEC are a cut above the average college football player. If they cant handle crowd noise they shouldn't be in the 2 deep. This is not a knock on yalls stadium or fan base btw. I know yall will have the stadium packed with 80+k and yall are very passionate.

Getting to the nit and gritty. I watched yalls spring game. I feel like I got a decent grasp for yalls current team. I know a spring game/scrimmage is not the most accurate way to assess a team but you can take away some things. This is what I gathered. I love yalls running game. It seems like most programs these days have a nice RB corps but yalls is a cut above. Yall have a weapon or two at WR. Shaq was one that I can remember. Yall's offensive line was either really freaking good or yall have taken a step or two back in the front 7 on defense. Its really hard to tell. Yall often talk bad about your secondary but I thought they looked good in the spring game. Unlike our secondary yalls DB's tackle and don't blow assignments. I was not impressed with Dylan Thompson. But I don't think he's going to be a huge factor either way in our game. Coach Spurrier is one of the very best. I assume he's going to run the ball a lot and keep the passing game very conservative meaning Dylan wont throw the ball down field much. For the record, I don't think Dylan is horrible. I just think his ceiling isn't very high. He's smart and committed but is a career back up as far as the NCAA level is concerned.

As far as our fans. Please treat them with respect. I say this because next year when you come to College Station you will be impressed. Our fans take pride in being friendly and helpful. Prepare yourselves while in College Station to hear a bunch of "Howdy, welcome to Aggieland" We will buy you a beer after the game and ask you how your travels were. Just an example, but in 2004 and 05 we played Clemson. They came to Kyle Field first and after they got back their President caught wind from the students and fans about their experience. Long story short, Clemson fans claim their President put out a mass email to the students asking them to be on their best behavior while our fans where in town. He apparently wanted to return the favor to our fans

Lastly, ignore everything you will hear from our former rivals from the Big 12. t.u, Texas Tceh and baylor. 90% of what you will read is totally fabricated or greatly exaggerated. Every fan base has some rotten apples but I must say we have very few rotten apples and police our own.

Looking forward to the game. Wish I could be there but Ill be watching. Ill stop by win or lose after the game.

Gig'em
So your crowd yells when you have the ball? I didnt think so. Dylan wont throw the ball down field? Put 8 in the box all night please. Other then that. Welcome!
Spotter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Welcome. Looking forward to a good game with no injuries.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Why Bed Sores?

What's the story there?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

Glad your not A&M coach. Dylan has a higher ceiling than most think. He WILL throw it down field. As for getting a grasp of the team through our spring. Lol not the true aspect of the team.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne09 View Post
As for getting a grasp of the team through our spring. Lol not the true aspect of the team.
Good to see that we agreed
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Chill98
Walk On

Male

Chill98 has hatched from the shell

I watched the MIZZOU and the Spring game. It looks like Thompson makes his $$$ on intermediate throw and hitting both TE's and Running backs close to the line of scrimmage. He seemed pretty erratic throwing down the field. Mike Davis is going to be a beast. I believe A&M could stop him if they would line up Reggie Chevis at MLB and Mastro at SLB, but they won't. Mike Davis is going to have a field day if he can hold up. A&M's only chance is to jump on USC early and turn this into a "shoot out", which is what they do every game.
Chill98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill98 View Post
I watched the MIZZOU and the Spring game. It looks like Thompson makes his $$$ on intermediate throw and hitting both TE's and Running backs close to the line of scrimmage. He seemed pretty erratic throwing down the field. Mike Davis is going to be a beast. I believe A&M could stop him if they would line up Reggie Chevis at MLB and Mastro at SLB, but they won't. Mike Davis is going to have a field day if he can hold up. A&M's only chance is to jump on USC early and turn this into a "shoot out", which is what they do every game.

Eeaassy there Killer
Old 08-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
GamecockStud
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
GamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talons

He's talking about Dylan Thompson in a spring game... a glorified practice...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bed Sores View Post

Gamecocks 28
Fight'n Texas Aggies 25

Gig'em
Your impression of Dylan isn't fair, he was inconsistent last year, but watch what he did in the 2013 outback bowl, his ball placement is great. His throwing motion was off when he played Missouri and was uncharacteristically off target, so don't judge him by that either. THat being said he still had 8 yards per attempt and a 55% completion.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #12
PalmettoG27
Walk On

Male

PalmettoG27 has hatched from the shell

I always thought Dylan was pretty good MOST of time.... Everyone will have to wait until the first game to gauge how well he plays. In fact the entire team is kind of an unknown until the season starts!
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Dylan just needs to protect the football and hit 65+% of his short passes and an occasional bomb; we have an outstanding corps of running backs that can lead us this season.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Welcome to our board. Hopefully our fans will show you respect, as every fan base has a few jerks. I hope that the noise will have some effect on your qb. Our place gets loud. There is a reason that we have the nations longest home winning streak. I think that it also has an effect on the visiting fans. In parts of the stadium, you can actually feel the stadium swaying when it gets loud. It can be intimidating. With that said, I think that it will be a close game right up to the end. I think the outcome depends on if Thompson can keep from turning the ball over and if our young defensive players can step up.

BTW, I would put no stock in the spring game. The defense isn't allowed to blitz or run certain packages. Its pretty much set up to be a vanilla defense versus the offense.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

You WILL be afraid...
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Welcome to the site, here is what I think you do not see. Our wideouts are the fastest in the SEC. Byrd and Roland demand double coverage which opens up our 6'6 tightends, Cooper and Jones. Our RB's all catch well out of the backfield, I don't think A&M can not play less than 8 in the box. Our defense is way better than the media reports. Our 12 man is 18 and O at home. Most important our mentality has changed from 5 years ago. Lastly Dillion did not have a bad game at Mizzo. There were a few dropped balls, they stopped the run. The Game calling was different down 17 at the start of the 4th. Don't sleep on Dillion.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Come on man.

Dillion?!

Come on...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
YouCanNeverTell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
YouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot materialYouCanNeverTell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Come on man.

Dillion?!

Come on...
I think we need to go EA sports mode. Dylan Thompson shall now be referred to as QB #17, Mike Davis RB #28, Shaq is WR #4. It's obviously too hard for people to spell a players name even though the University provides countless resources such as rosters and depth charts containing the proper spelling.
YouCanNeverTell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCanNeverTell View Post
I think we need to go EA sports mode. Dylan Thompson shall now be referred to as QB #17, Mike Davis RB #28, Shaq is WR #4. It's obviously too hard for people to spell a players name even though the University provides countless resources such as rosters and depth charts containing the proper spelling.
i think we need to go another way. Dylan is Dillion , Mike is Mhike , Shaq is Shack , Damiere is damirror , reverse psychology.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Come on man.

Dillion?!

Come on...