CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
roosterdude21
markp_vip
ccured
GarnetSwarm1990
2000grad
TRBTB
Morris to SMU (5752)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1850)
Clemson fans (1558)
Carolina on a Walmar (1296)
Game simulation (859)
End of the aTm / LSU (559)
Venables to TAMU? (556)
Have we been favored (423)
Women's Soccer Elite (350)
Origin Sale Too (276)
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Vegas line moving on game
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Venables to TAMU?
2014 Class AAAA Playoffs
ray rice wins appeal
Phil Kronblut show
Xbox One
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W

Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
CockyClint
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyClint has hatched from the shell
Default Does anyone else think that a modified 46 Defense might help out Whammy?

Just curious. Some teams still employ the 46 defense, albeit in an updated form so as to combat all of the spread attacks we are seeing these days. For instance, Oregon has used the 46 (under Aliotti's direction), as has Michigan. I realize that I am probably the only guy on the board who remembers Buddy Ryan and his 46 Defense, but I think that you guys should look into it. It can make up for a lot of defensive shortcomings. Here's a brief description of it:

"The 46 Defense was the logic behind the T-formation come full circle. Modern football has raised the QB to such a place of undisputed preeminence, turned him into such a finely-calibrated piece of offensive machinery, that he has become almost too valuable for the team's own good. Rather than worrying about covering everyone and defending against the wide variety of routes which modern offenses have created, Buddy Ryan decided to short-circuit the opposing offense by taking out the QB. As boxers used to say: Kill the brain and the body will follow."

"Over time, Buddy Ryan's 46 became much more than a mere alignment of players. It was an attitude, an ideology, a way of competing and of living. Attack, attack, attack, attack-that was the mentality on defense," Doug Plank told me. We weren't going to sit back on our heels worrying about how we were going to defend against certain plays. Instead of worrying about what the offense was plotting to do against us, WE were going to be the aggressors, forcing the offense to worry about what we were going to do against them."

Like I said, I know that none of you guys remember Buddy, but he was pretty much the greatest defensive coordinator which the game has every known. I have linked to an article about how Oregon runs an updated version of the 46 out in the Pac-12. Obviously, Buddy's sons (Rex and Rob) also utilize updated versions of the 46 in the NFL.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...e-nick-aliotti

Last edited by CockyClint; 08-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.
CockyClint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Does anyone else think that a modified 46 Defense might help out Whammy?

Never much of a fan of that. Pretty obvious thing to do, go after the qb. You wouldn't have heard much about it except that the Bears had Doug Plank, Gary Fencik, Mike Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Dan Hampton, Al Harris, Steve McMichael and whoever the other guys were on that defense.

I have to wonder about some other old school defenses though. I'd really like to see someone try the old Cowboys Flex defense against these spread offenses.

And as long as I am mentioning the real Cowboys, I have always wondered why more teams didn't do that offense line popping up right before the snap. Just seems like it would make a dc crap bricks, particularly if they change backfield formations around the same time.

Edit: I dunno about the Flex defense though. It was supposed to be ungodly complicated for linemen to learn. You just think the zone blitz is hard for college guys to learn the ins and outs of. Still it was designed by the guy who came up with the 4-3 in the first place, Tom Landry to stop the run oriented offenses of the 70's. Not many good angles for OL to block the defense.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: Does anyone else think that a modified 46 Defense might help out Whammy?

We just need to use something standard and that is proven to work.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
cockyness11
Banned

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

I think our best option would be a 3-3-5 scheme that will allow us to blitz from all over the field as well as get another db in there to help this young secondary
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

im partial to any alignment that uses 4 down lineman

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

we have to find the right mix of personnel/scheme/situation. we did some good things out of the 3 and 4 man lines in the 2nd half, but when we tried to send 5 or more in the 2nd half the results werent good especially on 3rd down. i thought our nickel package looked alright with brison over the slot receiver which i dont think we showed in the first half.

i thought the freshman corners got better in the 2nd half, al harris made a nice deflection on a pass to the endzone in the 2nd half. rico was never in position to make a play. walton looked lost out there, but its his first real action. i'd dial back the zone blitzes with the dt's dropping into coverage and have the dlinemen learn to get their hands up. if theyre not getting to the quarterback at least keep your eyes on him and try and bat down one of these throws over the middle.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
No Curse
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2504
No Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPitNo Curse rules the CockPit

the best thing Whammy could do is teach them how to tackle in 7 days otherwise, doesn't matter which defense you put them in
No Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Curse View Post
the best thing Whammy could do is teach them how to tackle in 7 days otherwise, doesn't matter which defense you put them in
Truth.

I saw plenty of lbs and DBS blitzing the other night and couldn't help but notice how slow they were getting to the backfield. Was tough to watch over and over.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons

Id like it just for the simple fact that people would be up near the line of scrimmage instead of 8 yards off their man. Almost every pass we got toasted on was less than 10 yards and there was no shortage of room to run after the catch.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

learn how to tackle first