CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32845)
Gameday in Columbia (1778)
ECU is a good team (1479)
Why we'll dominate C (1245)
Spurrier was Embaras (1169)
Is it possible for o (1125)
Spurrier not happy s (1088)
Alabama vs Florida. (1028)
Lammons out (989)
ECU is a good team (974)
Spurrier was Embarassed
Is anyone really surprise
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit
Default The Demise of the 3-4

After listening to Spurrier post game I got the impression we won't see
the D use the 3-4 anymore. Reminds me of those deer whistles you used to see on motorcycles and cars a few years back. The whistles sold well but
the deer couldn't hear them so the whistles are all gone now. Great idea though...........in theory. I wonder if Charlie Strong may have invented the 3-4 and the deer whistle.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Demise of the 3-4

Scrapping the 3-4 at this point may be worse than continuing to play with it. They spent two camps trying to install it with a bunch of guys who never played the 4-3 system the staff used before. If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Scrapping the 3-4 at this point may be worse than continuing to play with it. They spent two camps trying to install it with a bunch of guys who never played the 4-3 system the staff used before. If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.
I really agree. Also, the defensive gameplan of the soft zone on 3rd and 5 or better must stop. Did anyone see Georgia, Alabama, LSU on 3rd and 5 or better they sent 6 to hurry the QB. Our coaching staff sent 3 against 5 OL and 1 RB. The A&M QB had all day.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
I really agree. Also, the defensive gameplan of the soft zone on 3rd and 5 or better must stop. Did anyone see Georgia, Alabama, LSU on 3rd and 5 or better they sent 6 to hurry the QB. Our coaching staff sent 3 against 5 OL and 1 RB. The A&M QB had all day.
12 outta 17 on 3rd down for Tamu.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
kingofnerf
Recruit

Male

kingofnerf is learning to peckkingofnerf is learning to peck

Quote:
If they were going to scrap something it would probably be better served to scrap the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.
^THIS
kingofnerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not sure how much ball you played, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp...coverages and packages remain identical in the mind to adjust to a personnel setup, which is all we are facing.

Besides, it's not like these guys coming in, or that we currently have, have never played football before with other formations...in middle school, JV, varsity high school football you play with various personnel setups.

It's really not that big of a deal. Only thing that really changes is some people used to getting more snaps in a 4-3 will see less in a 3-4, and vice versa.

I do agree with your last comment, that was painfully obvious and it bothered me when we came out in 2nd half with no adjustment there. My grandma could have gained 4-5 yards on a WR screen.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Not sure how much ball you played, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp...coverages and packages remain identical in the mind to adjust to a personnel setup, which is all we are facing.

Besides, it's not like these guys coming in, or that we currently have, have never played football before with other formations...in middle school, JV, varsity high school football you play with various personnel setups.

It's really not that big of a deal. Only thing that really changes is some people used to getting more snaps in a 4-3 will see less in a 3-4, and vice versa.

I do agree with your last comment, that was painfully obvious.
It is a big change for guys in terms of lining up and the LBs making sure they know their assignments. Not to mention whether or not the DT you'd put in is able to pull their own weight and is conditioned to play.

The benefit of the 3-4 is supposed to be in sending a different LB every play in hopes of confusing the OL but the problem Thursday is the DL couldn't tie anyone up enough for the LB rushing to make a difference. If they're the best we have at this point I'm not sure we want the guy who couldn't beat them out on the field more.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
It is a big change for guys in terms of lining up and the LBs making sure they know their assignments. Not to mention whether or not the DT you'd put in is able to pull their own weight and is conditioned to play.

The benefit of the 3-4 is supposed to be in sending a different LB every play in hopes of confusing the OL but the problem Thursday is the DL couldn't tie anyone up enough for the LB rushing to make a difference. If they're the best we have at this point I'm not sure we want the guy who couldn't beat them out on the field more.
I have not watched a the game on my DVR yet. Just watched it at the game. It appeared to me that the DL and LB were not on the same page as far as gap responsibility. I saw the LB run right up the back of the DL guy not correct gap.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I have not watched a the game on my DVR yet. Just watched it at the game. It appeared to me that the DL and LB were not on the same page as far as gap responsibility. I saw the LB run right up the back of the DL guy not correct gap.
When you watch it back you'll see the LBs weren't on the same page with anyone including themselves. There was on play in the second half where A&M sent a man in motion and 3 of the LBs went to the same spot and just stood there looking at each other. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:

I do agree with your last comment, that was painfully obvious and it bothered me when we came out in 2nd half with no adjustment there. My grandma could have gained 4-5 yards on a WR screen.
Now, why do have to come off with insults like this? It's not a players' message board or a coaches' message board. It is a fans' message board. Whether or not one has playing time or not is irrelevant to one's football knowledge. Richard head.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Now, why do have to come off with insults like this? It's not a players' message board or a coaches' message board. It is a fans' message board. Whether or not one has playing time or not is irrelevant to one's football knowledge. Richard head.
I don't think he meant it that way. I think he just meant, and I agree, that many people sometimes think that when a team is a 3-4 team, that it cant play 4-3, or vice versa. A team only uses a base package, but they almost all can morph that into the other, or have other packages in that they can run.

The Texans base D is a 3-4, but I guarantee they have an entire chunk of their playbook that has Watt and Clowney at opposite sides in a 4-3. Whether they'll ever use it or not, who knows.

I don't think lining up and playing 4-3 would be that hard for USC. Or 4-2-5 like they normally played. Almost all teams can switch. Its not nearly as hard on D as it would be to switch philosophies on offense. Its just a matter of spending most practice reps that week working from that package, and not the 3-4.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

GSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talonsGSC2013 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

You are very correct. I played at CCU in a Multiple 8. We could shift from 4-3 to 3-4 very easily, or even from a 3-4 or 4-3 to a nickel or 5-2 if needed. As long as you have some DE's and LB's that can shift and play that 9 technique, its not hard at all.

Only difference in a Cover 2 in the 3-4 and 4-3 is the LB's have bigger zones to cover. Same areas of the field, just bigger areas to cover.

I personally hate the 3-4. You better have 3 stud DL's or you get no pass rush. USC went to it...because they weren't confident in their DL....and are surprised they didn't get a pass rush???? If your DL isn't that good...then the 3-4 is GUARANTEED to hurt your pass rush.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
You are very correct. I played at CCU in a Multiple 8. We could shift from 4-3 to 3-4 very easily, or even from a 3-4 or 4-3 to a nickel or 5-2 if needed. As long as you have some DE's and LB's that can shift and play that 9 technique, its not hard at all.

Only difference in a Cover 2 in the 3-4 and 4-3 is the LB's have bigger zones to cover. Same areas of the field, just bigger areas to cover.

I personally hate the 3-4. You better have 3 stud DL's or you get no pass rush. USC went to it...because they weren't confident in their DL....and are surprised they didn't get a pass rush???? If your DL isn't that good...then the 3-4 is GUARANTEED to hurt your pass rush.
My point is we have a lot of young players who don't understand what hey are supposed to be doing as it is. To try and change things up on them now may not be the best thing. I'll agree that this team doesn't have the DT to run the scheme but that's what they've decided to go with.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Quote:
the 10 yard cushion they give receivers on every play.
That's the Stephon Gilmore package.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

I think it's a personnel issue. BAMA runs the 3-4 to almost perfection.

Here is their depth chart
https://alabama.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

03 308-323 pound NT's
06 265-315 pound DE's
12 215-268 pound LB's (All starters are 250+ pounds)

USC depth chart
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

I think the issue with USC in the 3-4 is the size of the players. Our NT are good size, but the DE sizes are lacking. Would have to move some of the DT to DE, and then on top of that the LB size is lacking, so would need to move some of the DE to LB.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

I wonder if Johnny Ego returned for his Jr year and started , would SC had been better prepared for the game?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
I wonder if Johnny Ego returned for his Jr year and started , would SC had been better prepared for the game?

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
attaboy
Hall Of Famer

Male

attaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his combattaboy is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I think the issue with USC in the 3-4 is the size of the players. Our NT are good size, but the DE sizes are lacking. Would have to move some of the DT to DE, and then on top of that the LB size is lacking, so would need to move some of the DE to LB.
This is exactly the answer, our defense has never looked so small out there. 6 of our starting 11 defensive players are LESS than 215 lbs, and three of the starters are under 200! One being 165lbs (al harris jr). Yes, they are athletic and quick but getting to a larger opposing player doesn't make him any easier to tackle and that disadvantage was clear. There were a few times a player on A&M's team appeared huge on tv while dragging our little guys down the field for y.a.c.
attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
That's the Stephon Gilmore package.
Are you sure it wasn't the Chris Culliver package??
Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the Chris Culliver package??
Better than the Captain Munnerlyn package where every time you get beat grab your hamstring and cramp for one play.